By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Your reasons for the PS4 winning this generation despite being the most powerful console.

PS4 is better, more powerful, less expensive, more user-friendly, more gamer oriented, has better games of wider variety of genres, better performing games, does not treat its customers as criminals, respects even the smallest markets, doesn't nickel and dime its users at every corner....

When a sensible person does even a 3-minute research, it is the best choice by a wide margin.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
1. ps move. sending it out to die was the best decision sony ever made.

Agreed. But move was probably on route if rumors are to be believed. PS4 controller and ps eye was supposed to replace ps move. But Sony took a smart decision. It saved PS brand and PS fans.

Burek said:
PS4 is better, more powerful, less expensive, more user-friendly, more gamer oriented, has better games of wider variety of genres, better performing games, does not treat its customers as criminals, respects even the smallest markets, doesn't nickel and dime its users at every corner....

When a sensible person does even a 3-minute research, it is the best choice by a wide margin.
Lacks features 
Less apps (worse quality too, see twitch)
OS is just dated looking.  The Facebook-esque social UI stuff is crap. 
Controller still has wear-n-tear joysticks from last gen.  The charge it holds is terrible compared to competiton
Sony constantly lies (see killzone resolution.  They know the Sony fanboys hype graphics up more than anything)
Online membership fee why?  PSN constantly suffers more than the competition. 
Driveclub is the worst managed game I've ever seen.  The launch was also plagued with server issues.
XBO metacritic scores > PS4 metacritic scores
Titanfall = best rated retail game since next gen started between ps4/xbo
Lack of updates compared to XBO. 

Just some facts and some of my opinions, not trying to troll. 

PS4 has a better gpu/ram, but thats about it. 

Can't speak for anyone else, but this is why I made the jump instead of going with a WiiU and/or XBone.

#1.) Sony has shown over the course of almost 2 decades that they support their consoles, new or old. They do not release a new console and just leave the old one to die. This has built a ton of confidence with me for Sony and their home consoles. Whether this is due to 1st party efforts or strong 3rd party relations matter not to me. All I know is that PS4 has been here for a year and my PS3 is still seeing new exclusive releases, thus causing it to still be used almost daily in my home. It is still relevant.

#2.) Treat me with respect. Say what you want and try to claim whatever, but Sony stood against DRM. People want to be able to sell their games. People want a sense of ownership. Instead of going where some 3rd parties and MS wanted to take the industry Sony chose to stand on the side of consumers, regardless of what you may or may not think was the reason. Only thing that matters is what their choice ultimately was.

#3.) Most diverse lineup of games. No other home consoles has the range of title like Playstation. You have full JPN support, full western support, etc... There is basically no developer who refuses to create games for Playstation. This allows me the confidence to know that if something looks interesting, there is a very high probability of it coming my way.

#4.) Best bang for my buck. Lowest price, highest power, most games. What more do you want?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Good price, brand power and the competition fucking up!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
Can't speak for anyone else, but this is why I made the jump instead of going with a WiiU and/or XBone.

#1.) Sony has shown over the course of almost 2 decades that they support their consoles, new or old. They do not release a new console and just leave the old one to die. This has built a ton of confidence with me for Sony and their home consoles. Whether this is due to 1st party efforts or strong 3rd party relations matter not to me. All I know is that PS4 has been here for a year and my PS3 is still seeing new exclusive releases, thus causing it to still be used almost daily in my home. It is still relevant.

#2.) Treat me with respect. Say what you want and try to claim whatever, but Sony stood against DRM. People want to be able to sell their games. People want a sense of ownership. Instead of going where some 3rd parties and MS wanted to take the industry Sony chose to stand on the side of consumers, regardless of what you may or may not think was the reason. Only thing that matters is what their choice ultimately was.

#3.) Most diverse lineup of games. No other home consoles has the range of title like Playstation. You have full JPN support, full western support, etc... There is basically no developer who refuses to create games for Playstation. This allows me the confidence to know that if something looks interesting, there is a very high probability of it coming my way.

#4.) Best bang for my buck. Lowest price, highest power, most games. What more do you want?

Agreed.

Less powerfull had always the most support,this time ps4 has the best support

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Train wreck said:

More generations than not have shown that the power leader in home consoles tend not to win that particular generation (total sales wise).  The PS4 is well on its way to break that tradition.  The key word is how?

Is it the power/value proposition?

Combination of 1st and 3rd party titles along with the global nature of the Playstation brand?

Is it really the missteps by its main competitors, or maybe its just the PS4 time?

It did not broke the tradition. The winner isn't the less powerful, but the cheaper. PS1 was more powerful than the Saturn, Jaguar and 3DO, the PS2 was stronger than the Dreamcast and the NES outperformed the 7800. The Atari 2600 was weaker than the Intellivision too. The most important thing is who is cheaper. PS4 was cheaper than X1, now it's the same price but it is more powerful. It's a better deal hardware-wise.

The exception is the Wii U since it is the cheapest. But the biggest problem for it is that it doesn't have a good innovation like the Wii, just a bad gimmick. The visuals there are more on par with the last gen and a PS3 or 360 is much cheaper. The lack of games is a killer here too. So the winning formula, present on 2600, NES, PS1 and PS2 (the only consoles that dominated) is:

1 - Cheaper console with 3rd party support. If it doesn't have the main games the price is useless.

2 - Launch first or at least in the same time.

Captain_Tom said:

Ok just stop.  Being the most powerful console is never a DETRIMENT.  It is always a good thing.  However it is usually a corelation that they lose.

That's a pretty terrible argument people believe. It's like everyone went out like "wow, the games loo much worse in this console, it's amazing!!". Price is what matters and it's usually related to power. If X1 was 300 bucks and it never had the bad publicity it would probably be winning right now.

Sharpryno said:
Burek said:

Lacks features 
Less apps (worse quality too, see twitch)
OS is just dated looking.  The Facebook-esque social UI stuff is crap. 
Controller still has wear-n-tear joysticks from last gen.  The charge it holds is terrible compared to competiton
Sony constantly lies (see killzone resolution.  They know the Sony fanboys hype graphics up more than anything)
Online membership fee why?  PSN constantly suffers more than the competition. 
Driveclub is the worst managed game I've ever seen.  The launch was also plagued with server issues.
XBO metacritic scores > PS4 metacritic scores
Titanfall = best rated retail game since next gen started between ps4/xbo
Lack of updates compared to XBO. 

Just some facts and some of my opinions, not trying to troll. 

PS4 has a better gpu/ram, but thats about it. 

You missed the topic, this is asking opinions on why PS4 is winning, and I gave my opinions and couldn't give a crap about your petty insignificant gripes. 

BTW, Best rated retail game is The Last of Us Remastered.