By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft: "Linear story games are really going to suffer in the modern marketplace

uuuhhhh....Like Halo, Cod, Uncharted, TLOU...yup really suffering guys...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
LemonSlice said:
mornelithe said:

Full game, I completely agree.  Parts of games, that's easy.  At least, from my perspective you can't trust a reviewer any further than you could throw them, and most companies just release a stream of PR that is hardly trustworthy so the only sources of unbiased material are actual gameplay footage.  I look into a great many games that way.

Oh, I don't have anything against short gameplay videos, I talking about let's players. Sorry.

Nah, don't apologize, nothing egregious has been done :)  I personally don't see a great deal of entertainment to be had just watching other people play games...but, there are some people who do.  No idea why, but it's not my entertainment, so it's really of no concern to me.

So who published Call of Juarez again?

mornelithe said:
LemonSlice said:
mornelithe said:

Full game, I completely agree.  Parts of games, that's easy.  At least, from my perspective you can't trust a reviewer any further than you could throw them, and most companies just release a stream of PR that is hardly trustworthy so the only sources of unbiased material are actual gameplay footage.  I look into a great many games that way.

Oh, I don't have anything against short gameplay videos, I talking about let's players. Sorry.

Nah, don't apologize, nothing egregious has been done :)  I personally don't see a great deal of entertainment to be had just watching other people play games...but, there are some people who do.  No idea why, but it's not my entertainment, so it's really of no concern to me.

Saying sorry doesn't cost me a penny. ;)

I think it's bad for the sole reason that you're left out of the experience. Not simply being a spectator is what's good about interactive media in the first place. Let's plays eliminate that.

LemonSlice said:
mornelithe said:

Saying sorry doesn't cost me a penny. ;)

I think it's bad for the sole reason that you're left out of the experience. Not simply being a spectator is what's good about interactive media in the first place. Let's plays eliminate that.

I think it's very difficult for folks who don't see the value in it, to try and explain it.  For me, it's clearly an alien concept...but the ridiculous surge in youtube/twitch popularity tells me there's many people who like it.  I just don't understand the why.  So, it's probably easier to let someone who actually truly enjoys it, explain it.  I could theorize all day, and probably never come close to an answer hehe.

Around the Network

Well this is the guy who makes Far Cry 4 and he worked on FC3 as well... so I would say this is the best Ubi has to offer!

Now, will one type of game make the other type suffer?

I think we will have to see how bloodborne or Uncharted 4, maybe even the Order, Thomb Raider XB1 and Quantum Break do next year... I think the "linear" games are doing pretty well these days!

As good as Watch_Dogs? no... but Destiny is not open world and it did better...

So what to make of this? ... well this is another Ubi talking head that speak non sense.

if anything the marketplace seems to be screaming "more linear"

alabtrosMyster said:

Well this is the guy who makes Far Cry 4 and he worked on FC3 as well... so I would say this is the best Ubi has to offer!

Now, will one type of game make the other type suffer?

I think we will have to see how bloodborne or Uncharted 4, maybe even the Order, Thomb Raider XB1 and Quantum Break do next year... I think the "linear" games are doing pretty well these days!

As good as Watch_Dogs? no... but Destiny is not open world and it did better...

So what to make of this? ... well this is another Ubi talking head that speak non sense.

Destiny isn't open world?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Seems legit.

Blob said:
if anything the marketplace seems to be screaming "more linear"

That depresses me: more games are becoming vehicles for telling a story as opposed to delivering gameplay.