By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft: "Linear story games are really going to suffer in the modern marketplace

I noticed that the guy who said this is the creative director of Assassin's Creed III, a game that is the poster child of everything wrong with with Ubisoft sandbox games.  Mainly pointless collectibles and no sense of cohesive game design.  Watch Dogs also suffered from this issue.  

Personally, while it is possible to make a really good sandbox game, it is easier to make a tight game when it's linear and you don't have to feel obligated to put pointless sidequests that have no real purpose other then dangling keys to swing in the players' faces.  I like a good sandbox game too but saying that linear games are going to become completely irrelevant is kind of ignorant and an oxymoron.

Around the Network

True, though not to a very large extent. Why is it true then? Because creating more open experiences is getting easier and easier from a technical standpoint, and many linear experiences are going to look relatively bad compared to similar less linear games.

So I should read this as "all the Ubisoft games this gen will have terrible stories?"