By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is this Gen of Consoles just WEAK?

Last gen we had one weak console now we have two, I blame Nintendo and microsoft

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network
zero129 said:

When your last system has a component such as this thats more powerful then your newer one that alone should tell people something..

In what way ? 

plain and simple, all the 3 consoles are WEAK. want power get a PC.

34 years playing games.

Landguy said:
Intrinsic said:
I dunno, but I think if we were all being objective and realistic here, we all would have come to terms with the fact that we have reached a point where a lot of things will look really good, but nothing will ever blow us away again.

And I don't think that is a bad thing. There are only so many ways you can make a ball look like a ball.

I agree with your comment the most so far.  I t seems that the diminishing returns aspect is what it is.  Sure, the worlds are bigger(look at minecraft) and the graphic are 1080p vs 720p.  But, the whole difference from one gen to another is a lot less visible.  

Can we tell the difference?  of course we can.  I will say, when we went from PS2 to PS3, you could see it without people doing screen captures and counting the pixels.  It was that obvious, the games were a big step up graphically.

Exactly. That is really why I find it funny when I hear people talking about how good a game looks and how powerful Pcs are and stuff. The simple truth is that we are now at a point where everything that sets out to look good looks good. Thats why the most obvious way to diferentiate games now from platform to platform is to strat throwing specs and numbers around. 

Like think about it. a GTX Titan Z is a $3000 GPU. $3000. On paper it runs circles around the GPUs in a PS4 + XB1 combined multiplied by 4. And thats just the GPU. By the time you put in a CPU and everything else you will have a $4000 gaming rig. But if we were to be honest with ourselves, like really sincerely honest. Does BF4, Wtcher 3, Watchdogs...etc look $3600 better on that Rig than the do on the PS4? Does that rig run a game that will be impossible to run on the PS4/XB1? Yes, it will look sharper, run smoother.....etc. But its not $3600 better. 

That is why I am not disappointed wth the PS4/XB1. I am just being realistic. Nvidia and AMD wants gamers to keeping chasing numbers and specs and making them feel like they "need" to always be on the bleeding edge. Thats just not true. I believe that gams will still keep looking better and better every passing year. But I also believe we will never see a game that will blow our minds away gain cause it looks so damn good. We will never have a KZ2 trailer (even if it was faked) moment again. Never.

to everyday folk it may seem that way, to developers who know wtf theyre talking about the difference is huge.

Around the Network

Go look at images of Resistance Fall of Man to get an idea of what PS3 games looked like when the PS3 first came out. Compare that to what we have on PS4 now.

zero129 said:

The CPU in the PS3 was more powerful then the CPU thats in the PS4, i just dont understand why they didnt just add in a more powerful version of the Cell CPU.

In other words you don't know how or why the Cell processor is more powerful than the custom jaguars and even if it's more powerful than the custom jaguars ...

@Bold You tell me since it appears that you must know more than what the engineers at Sony or AMD are doing ... 

zero129 said:
fatslob-:O said:
zero129 said:

When your last system has a component such as this thats more powerful then your newer one that alone should tell people something..

In what way ? 

The CPU in the PS3 was more powerful then the CPU thats in the PS4, i just dont understand why they didnt just add in a more powerful version of the Cell CPU.

Pretty sure that all bar the absolute best Devs like Naughty Dog weren't able to utilize the Cell properly so they made the right call in changing to something a bit more mainstream.  Had Sony of gone with some kind of updated Cell whilst the Xbox One went the way it did, we wouldn't see the gains we are seeing now on multi plat games.  They would ALL be developed for Xbox first, then a rush job ported over because it would have been too much hassle otherwise to spend too much time on it.  I don't think Sony had too much of a choice to be honest.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

Ideally I would have liked to have had consoles with 3 -4tflps of computational performance. That would have put it inline with a 7950-7970. That would have at least made it top of the range, at release. A decent CPU would have also been nice.

All of those additions would have taken the price to about $500 - $600, which would have most likely have resulted in less sales.

Would those additions for the price even be worth it though? I mean yeah we would probably be able to get 1080p @60FPS but then devs would simply push the graphics even more.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

The leap from PS3/360 to PS4/Xbone is rather underwhelming in my humble opinion.
Sure, games look a little sharper and more detailed, but there's no quantum leap like Gears of War last gen, Rogue Squadron II in the 6th gen, or Mario 64 in the 5th.
And they both use controller designs dating back to 1997.