By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is this Gen of Consoles just WEAK?

I agree, the jump from PS2 to PS3 was way more impressive.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
Landguy said:
TheAdjustmentBureau said:
Both the Xbox one and ps4 will blow away horizon 2, infamous etc in 3 years. Titles like uncharted 4, quantum break, halo 5 gears 4 will destroy games out now.

This gen is no different than previous gens. Resistance 1 and perfect dark zero looked hardly a gain at all on previous gen. Consoles have never been PCs

I am not sure i buy into the "it'll blow them away" theory about later genereation games.  Last gen, that was the case becasue the totally different architecture of the systems.  This gen, the X86 architecture is very similar to last gen and the video cards and processors are nearly identical to their off the shelf.  I don't see the games getting a lot better over time.  Sure, the first party Sony titles will look pretty good, but that will be a design decision more than anything.

How the hell do you manage to contradict yourself in back to bqck sentences? 

They are both powerful enough and Evolutionary, not Revolutionary.
In my books, we are reaching the point were graphics are becoming less and less important than art direction. Hooray!

Hiku said:

There can be a big difference there as well of course, but I wouldn't say it's as big as going from SD CRT to HD. I remember the shock of seeing the clarity of a DVD movie for the first time. And the first time I saw a PS3/360 game on an HD TV. It was a type of clarity that I had never imagined before. It just took me by surprise. I can imagine more detailed polygons and textures, enhanced lighting effects and such though. And now I can also imagine greater resolutions. But because I had never seen a progressive scan in HD on a screen that supported it before, it felt like completely new technology.

You're confusing display tech upgrade with console upgrades. The first dvd movies were hardly better than Laserdisc, late 70's tech. Switching to LCD and Plasma screens 5 years later brought out the advantage of the digital medium as opposed to the analogue Laserdisc. Games have always been more suited to LCD / Plasma. When I upgraded my 17" CRT to a 19" LCD screen for the PC, the exact same games looked so much clearer, better than a gpu upgrade. (Ofcourse only in native res, upscaling on pc lcd monitors sucks which wasn't a problem with CRT)

I started last gen with a 34" HD ready CRT, difference between XBox and XBox 360 wasn't that impressive. Actually Burnout revenge on 360 was worse, too dark in many areas. Text in Dead rising was outside the text safe area and generally too small to read. With a new LCD tv things started looking a whole lot better.

Same this gen. Play sitting far away, or on a 720p screen, you miss half the upgrade. Switch to a 1080p projector and you'll be blown away. The difference between playing GTA4 on my 1080p projector and Infamous SS is like night and day.

pariz said:
They are both powerful enough and Evolutionary, not Revolutionary.
In my books, we are reaching the point were graphics are becoming less and less important than art direction. Hooray!

Not necesarrily, art direction was always important to overcome the limitations of the hardware. If anything, it's easier now to slap on a 3D scanned evironment and models, instead of designing your own. Better hardware supports more freedom in creativity as well as more realism. If anything graphics are way more important today than in the days of 2D pixel art.

Around the Network

Yes!

I've been saying this for a while! This isn't to say that the games will look horrid but the leap from last gen to now is easily the smallest.

Systems having great games that are fun to play and have high replay value, is far more valuable than how powerful a system is.

People really need to quit thinking so much about system specs, and just enjoy games.

They're all we have for the next few years and I was kinda shocked to discover that a ton of features I used every day were lost going from gen 7 to gen 8. I'm sure they're more capable but probably the smallest generational leap in what appears on screen, ever.

No 2D to well animated 2D. No 2D to crude 3D. No crude 3D to awesome 3D. No awesome 3D to HD 3D/Online. This gen is just going from HD to barely noticible more HD.

kristianity77 said:
DonFerrari said:
Moore law application would show they have jumped as much as it should keeping cost in mind. A 8-10x more powerfull console for 66% the price (ir you count inflation it will be even less) is quite good. And we know games will get continually better, now if you think it is too little buy a PC. About resolution, 4k will probably take a gen duration (4-5y) to be cheap enough to make and watch so by then ps5 will have 4k but we will have 8k monitors already but consoles have to please Mass Market so price is important, and most won't complain they don't outdo high end PC.

Thats exactly right.  99.9% of people dont care that the latest consoles fall behind to higher spec PC's.  PC's exist for only a slight amount more money that might well play games at 1440p and above depending on how much money you throw at it.  Console gaming for now is strictly a 1080p affair because thats what the vast majority of people own in their houses, 720p or 1080 screens.  This isn't going to change in the near future.  Nor does it really need to.  If I watch a blu ray in 1080, it looks very good.  When I pop in infamous and play, that also, looks ridiculously good.  People will voice opinion on gaming websites that game A is only 900p and one platform holds an advantage elsewhere with game B, but the truth is, outside of that circle, no one cares.  People buy games to play games.  They want games to look better on the console they used to own and they do, without fail.

I love graphics as much as the guy next door... so every game I buy the eye candy is a big plus, but I also play simple games... but I wouldn't bother assembling a strong PC (more expensive in Brazil than usual) because my favourite games are Sony games and every gen I got pleased with them. Also with good improvements we get better graphics and not too much (as let's say a gen distance) from gaming PC games with HW that is relevant for 5 years (and forever after), much better than upgrading, changing everytime for a few more pixels, usually for you to pay a good price on PC parts it is 2-3 years old technology, so let's say on average price I get a console that is better than PC for 3 years and then weaker for 2 years but still acceptable.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DevilRising said:
Systems having great games that are fun to play and have high replay value, is far more valuable than how powerful a system is.

People really need to quit thinking so much about system specs, and just enjoy games.

My problem with the (in my opinion only of course) weak spec consoles of this gen is that they went cheap on the hardware. Companies arent willing to take losses on the hardware like they did last gen. The hardware will get tapped and become outdated quicker than older consoles. This will lead to new hardware sooner so we are looking at shorter gens. This can be a positive for some but not all.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling