By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - **UPDATED** SSB3DS passes Destiny PS4! What will sell more? Super Smash Bros. 3DS + Wii U or Destiny for PS3,PS4, X360 and X1 ?

Will Smash sell more than Destiny?

Absolutely! The comeback ... 137 38.59%

No Way! Destiny is only 1... 97 27.32%

It will sell more than PS... 68 19.15%

See results. 52 14.65%

Total:354

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

It's understandable to believe that a Mario game would do better, just remember that Smash also has Mario in it, and Smash has out sold SM3DL in ITS FIRST 3 WEEKS than in 3D land first 6 WEEKS! Granted you can say this is including Digital Copies, but it's out selling it during a non formal pre-holiday release while  3D Land came out during the Holidays. It's all right here:

Super Mario 3D Land

Global First Ten Weeks (Units)

Week EndingWeekWeeklyChangeTotal
05th November 2011 1 341,904 N/A 341,904
12th November 2011 2 91,052 -73.4% 432,956
19th November 2011 3 587,719 545.5% 1,020,675
26th November 2011 4 620,085 5.5% 1,640,760
03rd December 2011 5 461,019 -25.7% 2,101,779
10th December 2011 6 556,068 20.6%

Compared to this: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/07/super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-3ds-sells-over-28-million-copies. And this is from 9/13/14 to 10/04/14 (roughly 3 weeks).

Smash will carry on through out the Holidays. And remember it will come out for Wii U too, boosting it even more. The threat that the 3DS can surpass PS4 Destiny is there, and it's more than possible.

You say that added content will be added onto Destiny, thing is WoW and Diablo have lots more worlds and levels to crawl ALREADY prior to release. Destiny plays like a REALLY Early MMO, meaning it's content is sort of limited and you have to pay extra here and there to get more. Whether people stay loyal to Destiny or jump off the train to old familiar favorites like Halo or CoD reminds to be seen, but you can't neglect that those 2 games will harm Destiny's sales, whether it has DLC or not...

2.8 million is shipment + digital.

It is more like 2 million sold + digital... anyway do you have any Nintendo PR for Super Maior 3DL?

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

It is more like 2 million sold + digital... anyway do you have any Nintendo PR for Super Maior 3DL?

You can post your arguments, you bring up good ponts but can you stop with the Shipped? 2.8mil is Sold, Sold+Digital, not Shipped. Its been proven already so many times. 

SOOOOOOOOOLD!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

ethomaz said:

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

It's understandable to believe that a Mario game would do better, just remember that Smash also has Mario in it, and Smash has out sold SM3DL in ITS FIRST 3 WEEKS than in 3D land first 6 WEEKS! Granted you can say this is including Digital Copies, but it's out selling it during a non formal pre-holiday release while  3D Land came out during the Holidays. It's all right here:

Super Mario 3D Land

Global First Ten Weeks (Units)

Week EndingWeekWeeklyChangeTotal
05th November 2011 1 341,904 N/A 341,904
12th November 2011 2 91,052 -73.4% 432,956
19th November 2011 3 587,719 545.5% 1,020,675
26th November 2011 4 620,085 5.5% 1,640,760
03rd December 2011 5 461,019 -25.7% 2,101,779
10th December 2011 6 556,068 20.6%

Compared to this: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/07/super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-3ds-sells-over-28-million-copies. And this is from 9/13/14 to 10/04/14 (roughly 3 weeks).

Smash will carry on through out the Holidays. And remember it will come out for Wii U too, boosting it even more. The threat that the 3DS can surpass PS4 Destiny is there, and it's more than possible.

You say that added content will be added onto Destiny, thing is WoW and Diablo have lots more worlds and levels to crawl ALREADY prior to release. Destiny plays like a REALLY Early MMO, meaning it's content is sort of limited and you have to pay extra here and there to get more. Whether people stay loyal to Destiny or jump off the train to old familiar favorites like Halo or CoD reminds to be seen, but you can't neglect that those 2 games will harm Destiny's sales, whether it has DLC or not...

I don't, but I highly doubt that 1mill bought it digital and 1 mill bought it retail. Reason why I say this is because that's the only way 3D Land beat it in a 3 week span. Also the article said sold, not shipped.

And again 3d Land sold over the Holidays. Smash has not sold over the holidays yet, and it will see no resistance from any other game (other than itself being available for 2 consoles) while Destiny has to deal with Halo and CoD.

I really want to see what Destiny does against those two heavy hitters, then we will know fully if it has legs or not. While on the Smash side, lets see if its the messiah Nintendo fans are making it out to be ... we will find out in 2 months (oh the suspense)...

tbone51 said:

You can post your arguments, you bring up good ponts but can you stop with the Shipped? 2.8mil is Sold, Sold+Digital, not Shipped. Its been proven already so many times.

SOOOOOOOOOLD!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

From the PR.

"REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Strong launches in the Americas, Europe and Australia* have propelled the cumulative sales total for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS to more than 2.8 million sold worldwide. This first-ever portable installment of the game has resonated both with fans and critics, and its initial sales set Nintendo up for a strong holiday season.

* Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS launched on Sept. 13 in Japan, Oct. 3 in the Americas and Europe, and Oct. 4 in Australia. Cumulative sales reflect life-to-date totals in each of those regions."

Life-to-date totals for Nintendo = shipped + digital.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/3ds.html

"*The numbers shown above are worldwide consolidated sales in units life-to-date.
*Software units include the quantity bundled with hardware.
*Software units include the downloadable versions.
*Package images shown above are for Japanese market"

You can wait the Nintedo Earning to confirm that but I'm sure it is shipped .

Well the Smash 3DS is superior to all Destiny's so I believe Wii U will be even more deserving so Smash totally deserves it and might

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

From the PR.

"REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Strong launches in the Americas, Europe and Australia* have propelled the cumulative sales total for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS to more than 2.8 million sold worldwide. This first-ever portable installment of the game has resonated both with fans and critics, and its initial sales set Nintendo up for a strong holiday season.

* Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS launched on Sept. 13 in Japan, Oct. 3 in the Americas and Europe, and Oct. 4 in Australia. Cumulative sales reflect life-to-date totals in each of those regions."

Life-to-date totals for Nintendo = shipped + digital.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/3ds.html

"*The numbers shown above are worldwide consolidated sales in units life-to-date.
*Software units include the quantity bundled with hardware.
*Software units include the downloadable versions.
*Package images shown above are for Japanese market"

You can wait the Nintedo Earning to confirm that but I'm sure it is shipped .

Thats not all from the originally report, it literally said sold to consumers... In the Hands! Also how can it be 2mil when US+Japan beyond surpass that number alone?

Japan numbers are over 1.5mil by Oct 5th, and 705k in the US on Oct 4th.

That right there alone puts SSB at 2.2mil excluding Digital sales of Japan thats likely over 100k. (we only know its 56k at least from Nintendo) We didnt include the Rest of NA, Europe, Australia, and the rest of the World. Not to mention US numbers (705k) exclude the third day of sales.

Trust me its Sold, SOLD!!! Nintendo usually reports shipped like MK8 2.82mil Shipped by end of June, but this is Sold. Like PS4 10mil announcement is Sold, not shipped, this is the same...

tbone51 said:

Thats not the originally report, it literally said sold to consumers... In the Hands! Also how can it be 2mil when US+Japan beyond surpass that number alone?

Japan numbers are over 1.5mil by Oct 5th, and 705k in the US on Oct 4th.

That right there alone puts SSB at 2.2mil excluding Digital sales of Japan thats likely over 100k. (we only know its 56k at least from Nintendo) We didnt include the Rest of NA, Europe, Australia, and the rest of the World. Not to mention US numbers (705k) exclude the third day of sales.

Trust me its Sold, SOLD!!! Nintendo usually reports shipped like MK8 2.82mil Shipped by end of June, but this is Sold. Like PS4 10mil announcement is Sold, not shipped, this is the same...

This is the original PR from Nintedo... copy & past from email... anything different was edited by the site that published it... you can see the full PR here without edit: http://nintendoeverything.com/pr-nintendo-of-america-announces-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-launch-date-and-lots-more/

You have a point about shipped... I guess you right.

ethomaz said:

tbone51 said:

This is the original PR from Nintedo... copy & past from email... anything different was edited by the site that published it... you can see the full PR here without edit: http://nintendoeverything.com/pr-nintendo-of-america-announces-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-launch-date-and-lots-more/

Thank you :) Even without the info from Nintendo, we do have sales figures for SSB 3DS and 2.8mil is wayyy to low for shipped.

I kno MK8 debate was bad and i knew obviously it was Shipped for them, because NPD had MK8 at 800k by end of june and Japan was about 600k. Dunno why some people thought it was sold unless Europe made up the other 1.2mil+ :P

Like i said, japan is doing amazing and we dont have digital yet (should be coming in next week i believe for Sept #s). 

Anywayzzzz glad we finally agreed

naruball said:
XanderXT said:
naruball said:
XanderXT said:

Smash will make wallets happier, while Destiny will make them die. So many unessecary DLC.

What does that even mean? Can you explain, please? 

Are you saying that Smash will make wallets happier because no one will buy it while people who bought Destiny will end upgetting DLC's and would thus spend even more money on the game? In other words, that Destiny will destroy Smash in profit? Or am I reading this wrong?

No. Smash will make wallets happier because it is a full product. Destiny is unfinished, because it has areas unaccesible or very unfinished, so you will have to pay Activision for access. Wallets will feel sad that they died for unfinished content.

Right. That's a weird analogy then considering the commonly used expressions in English when referring to spending money on something. Anyway, as you were. 

I dunno, I managed to understand his anology pretty well before his explination because where I come from I know buying a full product is better for your wallet than having to constantly dish out more to be able to grasp the full product over time.

I remember people finding content they can't access and it reminds me instantly of the Capcom fiasco with Resident Evil 5 where users found out that contaent was indeed locked within the disk with Capcom admitting freely that it was their version of "disk locked content" (instead of Downloadable content but still both are withheld) which in turn caused people to become angry and issue complaints, seeing as how Destiny isn't fully a completel product I can easily tell it's 100% going to rely on all the DLC to tell the full story and give it;s users the full experience rather than the norm base model of releasing a full game, I'd opt for the latter any time of day.

On topic I'd probably think it will be 50/50 since Smash is insanely popular and the 3DS install base is bigger than PS4 currently but I'll probably sit back and see how that transpires because it could happen either way even though getting a fully complete product>barebones sold in pieces product.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

tbone51 said:
ethomaz said:

tbone51 said:

Thank you :) Even without the info from Nintendo, we do have sales figures for SSB 3DS and 2.8mil is wayyy to low for shipped.

I kno MK8 debate was bad and i knew obviously it was Shipped for them, because NPD had MK8 at 800k by end of june and Japan was about 600k. Dunno why some people thought it was sold unless Europe made up the other 1.2mil+ :P

Like i said, japan is doing amazing and we dont have digital yet (should be coming in next week i believe for Sept #s). 

Anywayzzzz glad we finally agreed

Yeah I was going to say "I can't account for conflictive reports" but tbone did a well done job breaking it down. Good Job!