By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - XBox One Install times

I've heard the same thing too. Its disappointing that its so slow on X1, and updates are huge this gen so slow install times is really bad.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
TheFallen said:
Complete reversal of last gen.

Indeed. I haven't had to wait yet before starting a game on ps4. Then after a couple of minutes it says update ready, which installs in seconds and the game is back on.

Switching back to the ps3 to download the latest ps+ offerings is total culture shock. From getting in the store all the way to long install times after the download. Biggest improvement this gen.

DeadBigfoot21 said:
I read this once on an article and it said that the ps4 doesn't install the whole game unlike the Xbox one. Ps4 basically does what the 360 does since you still need the disc to play. The driver on the Xbox one were set to install the whole game since the disc didn't need to be in the drive in order to play before. That is the reason why it takes longer on Xbox one but I hope it can be fixed with a software update.

Nope the PS4 just insalls the whole disk while you play in the background, Xone install the whole disk before it lets you start playing thats the only difference. 

Yeah, this is something very annoying with the One, when you buy a game, you would like to be able to play juste by putting its in your console and not waiting 20-30 min

Now i have a ps4, this will be one of the reasons why ill buy multiplatform games on ps4

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

The time to install the full game on both consoles, if the game have the same size, is about the same. There is no magic that could overcome the physical properties of the BluRay bandwide reading.

The time start playing some missions or levels depends on how developers arranged the data for streaming and instalation.

Sony also put a extra chip to speedy up things and intensively encourage devs to use the feature. Microsoft on the other hand basicaly ignored the issue, it wasn´t necessary extra work to save two or three minutes once.

However the real problem lies when installing updates during the first install, that is what takes time. This should be fixed as most games are coming out with gargantuan first day updates and content.

Interestingly this "issue" has been so overlooked that since last year launch title I haven´t seem any site doing face-off of instalation times.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
The time to install the full game on both consoles, if the game have the same size, is about the same. There is no magic that could overcome the physical properties of the BluRay bandwide reading.

The time start playing some missions or levels depends on how developers arranged the data for streaming and instalation.

Sony also put a extra chip to speedy up things and intensively encourage devs to use the feature. Microsoft on the other hand basicaly ignored the issue, it wasn´t necessary extra work to save two or three minutes once.

However the real problem lies when installing updates during the first install, that is what takes time. This should be fixed as most games are coming out with gargantuan first day updates and content.

Interestingly this "issue" has been so overlooked that since last year launch title I haven´t seem any site doing face-off of instalation times.

Kotaku and other sites did 

ethomaz said:

PlayGo is truly amazing feature.

It install while you play the game... that why it is a hell fast... I don't know how anybody can play without this feature and I expected just the first Xbone title with this issue and ano a recent release.

The patch system on PS4 is better than Xbone too... that is weird because the patch system in 360 was amazing good and years ahead PS3... now Xbone is like a step back even compared with PS3.

You are going to dangerous water again stating opinion as fact.

A Google search for "forza horizon 2 install time disc" and one interestily result is this Giant Bomb Thread otherwise there is very little complain about installation time.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forza-horizon-2/3030-46474/forums/forza-horizon-2-installation-time-1495964/

"I picked this and Shadow of Mordor up today. I put in Mordor first, took it 20 seconds to install, and then I was in and playing for awhile. I went to put in Horizon 2, and my X1 is taking almost an hour to install from disc.

Is anyone else having this issue? I mean, I understand it's a big game, but it's actually 3GB smaller than Mordor and somehow needs an hour (or more, still not finished) to install? That seems nuts."

It´s depend on the game and the internet speedy and updates. Shadows of Modor, that is a big, openworld game took only 30 secs... I think there is not a issue any more.

There still this issue, 15-20min to install alien isolation

Aerys said:

Kotaku and other sites did 

Recently? Like for Destiny or Shadows of Modor.

Because Google is not returning many complains about instalation time... instalation size on the other hand...

Holy shit this has been known since the launch of both consoles and you got people arguing this?
PS4 installs exponentially faster. PS4 installs in background which takes less than a minute and Xbox One installs the full game which takes longer.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"