By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - XBox One Install times

vivster said:

I really wonder where those differences come from. It's the same developers and practically the same hardware. There must be something on the X1 that hinders partial installs. Or something on the PS4 that facilitates it.

If it's only a software issue MS should be able to patch it.

PS4 have a feature called PlayGo... it install for all game the mininum needed to play and continue the installation in background with the ARM CPU... it works for both Digital or Retail.

Every game packaged to PS4 have this feature because it is required on SDK level without any hard work from the devs.

You can congrats Cerny for that.

Around the Network
vivster said:

As I understand X1 has  separate ressources as well to facilitate multitasking. It's running multiple OS at the same time, so it will have virtualized ressources reserved for that. Background installing is not really a ressource hungry process.

Pretty sure it must be something in the software architecture.

That's entirely plausible, but when I was looking around at specs, I saw specific mention of the PS4's secondary ARM Processor (w/ 2g DDR3) for this purpose, whereas, nothing listed for the XB1.  That doesn't mean it's not there, I just couldn't find any mention of it in the specs I was perusing.

TheAdjustmentBureau said:
It's not that ps4 installs faster, it just allows you to play partly from disc while installing. The disc speeds are the same on both consoles.

Some games on Xbox One allow play to start after around 10% install. I know Ryse did, as well as BF4. I was actually playing forza horizon 2 quicker than any ps4 game could dream of. I bought digital and downloaded and installed a week before it came out. I was playing at 12:00 am no waiting at all.

Preload is on PS4 since June... so PS4 games are living this feature before Xbone dreamed with it.

So the bolded is false... I even played Destiny at 12:00 am on release day.

mornelithe said:
vivster said:

As I understand X1 has  separate ressources as well to facilitate multitasking. It's running multiple OS at the same time, so it will have virtualized ressources reserved for that. Background installing is not really a ressource hungry process.

That's entirely plausible, but when I was looking around at specs, I saw specific mention of the PS4's secondary ARM Processor (w/ 2g DDR3) for this purpose, whereas, nothing listed for the XB1.  That doesn't mean it's not there, I just couldn't find any mention of it in the specs I was perusing.

You don't need additional physical hardware. It's all virtualized anyway. An ARM isn't exactly a powerhouse. At least nothing that can't be done by reserving a core until installation is done. It might slightly affect performance but it's only temporary anyway.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

That's what the TV feature is for, to pass time.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network
vivster said:
mornelithe said:
vivster said:

You don't need additional physical hardware. It's all virtualized anyway. An ARM isn't exactly a powerhouse. At least nothing that can't be done by reserving a core until installation is done. It might slightly affect performance but it's only temporary anyway.

Well, something's clearly effecting performance in that regard, so either it's ARM w/ the 2g of RAM, or PlayGo or a combination of both.  Either way, the comparisons are pretty stark.

ethomaz said:
TheAdjustmentBureau said:
It's not that ps4 installs faster, it just allows you to play partly from disc while installing. The disc speeds are the same on both consoles.

Some games on Xbox One allow play to start after around 10% install. I know Ryse did, as well as BF4. I was actually playing forza horizon 2 quicker than any ps4 game could dream of. I bought digital and downloaded and installed a week before it came out. I was playing at 12:00 am no waiting at all.

Preload is on PS4 since June... so PS4 games are living this feature before Xbone dreamed with it.

So the bolded is false... I even played Destiny at 12:00 am on release day.

That's awesome. So everyone's happy.

I really love how fast ps4 install the games, it's unnoticeable. Such a big contrast with previous gen, Xbone on the other hand seems like the PS3 in that regard.

Brutalyst said:
Barozi said:
Brutalyst said:

Having been lucky enough to own both an XBox One and a PS4, I find the install times on the XBO ridicuous. 

The PS4 can install a game in around 60 seconds, yet to install Forza Horizon 2 took almost an hour!

Im just curious if anyone knows why they huge difference in time it takes on each console and if ever in the future Microsoft could release a patch that reduces this?

EDIT: I dread to think how long it will take me to install Halo MCC with the patch as well :(

You should compare games that have about the same size.

A game that can be copied within 60 seconds on a HDD can't be much bigger than 6GB. Horizon 2 is 36GB.

But I think you're confusing things. PS4 needs just as long to install a game, but you are able to start the game earlier.

I recently swapped the PS4 500 gb HDD for a 2TB one, and the first thing I did was re-install all the games. Even the largest games like TLOU which takes 50gb only took less than 60 seconds and I removed the disc. UNless it only part installed it and even though I removed the disc it would continue to install the next time I put the disc back in? (I guess it might be doing that, no way to tell or see it though)

Exactly, the install is not finished. The PS4 BR drive's speed is 27 MB/s, so it would take 30 minutes to copy 50 GB from the disk. In fact if would probably take twice as much.

As it was said before, what the PS4 does is installing what is required step by step, like a stream. So, why doing that on the PS4 and not on the XOne ? First, the XOne can do that, there is absolutely no physical impossibility, and some games probably do or will do it.  So, again, why not on most games ? We can only assume... it could be a better development kit for data management on the PS4 or a more efficient installation system (that would be harder to fix), but it could also be that with a better hardware (memory speed for sure, DMA ? ), dedicated cpu, or whatever, the PS4 can manage to have both better graphics and seemless install, while the XOne can't, it would impact the framerate/graphics that are already not as good.

Why does it matter if the PS4 install the whole thing or just a protion if the gamer gets to start playing alot faster? Nothing wrong with a 15-20min wait but if all else is equal (it isnt) why choose to wait?