By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - XBox One Install times

You can play after 10 minutes no? Around 10-30% installed/downloaded you can play the game on Xone I think.

Around the Network
Richmyster6907 said:
60 seconds to install GB's worth of content? No I do not believe that for a moment.

Hell the PS3 installation is an utter joke aswell you download the content and then have to wait again for it to install. Unlike the 360 where you simply download and then BAM its ready to launch.

I believe it, I was playing Shadow of Mordor on ps4 in about 60 seconds. I too was surprised at how long it took my Xbox One to install Forza Horizon 2 and let me play.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/187316/ms-makes-fun-of-gta-iv-install-time-on-ps3/

MS makes fun of GTA IV install time on PS3

Come on, it's only five minutes...

By CVG Staff on Saturday 19th Apr 2008 at 1:06 PM UTC

MS has fired out on an email taking a cheap shot at the reported five minute install time on the PlayStation 3 version of GTA IV.

"With the OXM review hitting streets today, and your own preview impressions which are looking great, hopefully you'll all be a bit wiser as to the ins and outs of GTA IV now.

I'm sure you've all seen the chatter from the 1up GTA IV Preview on the PS3 install time....just a few thoughts on what you could do in this time if you were actually playing the 360 version from the moment you insert the disc....

Steal your first dozen or so cars and test out the improved vehicle handling?
Check out the cool features on your mobile phone?
Rack up a 5 Star Wanted Rating?
Have a blast of your first MP game on Xbox LIVE?
Ditch the tracksuit chic and buy some new clothes?
Unlock your first GTA IV Achievement and boost your Gamerscore?

Now this comment from MS in 2008 really takes the cake. The shoe is on the other foot this time and it looks good on them.

Blood_Tears said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/187316/ms-makes-fun-of-gta-iv-install-time-on-ps3/

MS has fired out on an email taking a cheap shot at the reported five minute install time on the PlayStation 3 version of GTA IV.

"With the OXM review hitting streets today, and your own preview impressions which are looking great, hopefully you'll all be a bit wiser as to the ins and outs of GTA IV now.

I'm sure you've all seen the chatter from the 1up GTA IV Preview on the PS3 install time....just a few thoughts on what you could do in this time if you were actually playing the 360 version from the moment you insert the disc....

Now this comment from MS in 2008 really takes the cake. The shoe is on the other foot this time and it looks good on them.

LOL!!

That is too funny. I had no idea MS said that back then. 

TheAdjustmentBureau said:
It's not that ps4 installs faster, it just allows you to play partly from disc while installing. The disc speeds are the same on both consoles.

Some games on Xbox One allow play to start after around 10% install. I know Ryse did, as well as BF4. I was actually playing forza horizon 2 quicker than any ps4 game could dream of. I bought digital and downloaded and installed a week before it came out. I was playing at 12:00 am no waiting at all.

Why does the X1 then not let you play earlier like the PS4? Seems like a stupid design decision.

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:

The irony! It's not a problem anymore this gen i bet!

bubblegamer said:
Blood_Tears said:

The irony! It's not a problem anymore this gen i bet!

Aye, just like the resolution, and framerate debates lol.

Ka-pi96 said:
bubblegamer said:
TheAdjustmentBureau said:
It's not that ps4 installs faster, it just allows you to play partly from disc while installing. The disc speeds are the same on both consoles.

Some games on Xbox One allow play to start after around 10% install. I know Ryse did, as well as BF4. I was actually playing forza horizon 2 quicker than any ps4 game could dream of. I bought digital and downloaded and installed a week before it came out. I was playing at 12:00 am no waiting at all.

Why does the X1 then not let you play earlier like the PS4? Seems like a stupid design decision.

The Xbox One actually does let you play before the install is complete. But only a small part of the game that isn't really worth playing...

After a lot of waiting, i know that part. The waiting with PS4 games is never as severe so this is very weird for a console that wants to compete.

it didn't matter last gen so its not a problem,just like sales don't matter anymore until a good npd

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt

Like most people already mentioned, it has a secondary chip that installs in the background. It also works for downloaded games with mixed results.  Also, you can begin playing with very little data installed. The design used for game installations is very well thought out. Xbox One has other processors in it as well but I don't know if they have one specifically designed for background tasks like the PS4.