By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U, the only Nintendo home console without a must have Mario platformer?

Yeah 3d world was kinda lacking to me. I traded it in quicker than any Mario game before but oh well that's what Smash and Kart are for to keep me interested in my WiiU!

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

3D World >>> Sunshine, which is a mess of a game, buggy and rushed and doesn't even feel like a Mario game (all tropical themed levels? C'mon).

NSMBU is the best 2D Mario since Mario World too for whatever that's worth. Wii U isn't lacking for Mario.

Also, people here are saying that SM3DW has poor sales, but does anyone think that, considering VGC has it at 2.27m, it might be possible that this game is over 3m with digital sales included? I don't really know how we could figure this out but I'm just wondering...

SM64 > SM3DW > SMG > SMG2 > SMS

With that said, I don't think any 3D Mario is a "must have" game besides for SM64.

That's just my personal opinion though

3D World is a great game but not really a game to buy a console for

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Around the Network

I am pretty sure they are working on a full fledged 3d mario game just like they have every generation so let's not just jump the gun just yet

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Oh, not so fast buddy...
How about this?

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Dulfite said:
I remember reading a while back that 3d world wasn't really developed by the core team that does the main mario games??? I think??? Maybe???

It was made by EAD Tokyo that made the Galaxy games and 3D Land. It even had the biggest team of all Mario games.

NSMB2 was made by a new team.

I'd put 3D World ahead of Sunshine, though could possibly agree that neither are must-haves (objectively, anyway. 3D World's going to get high up my top 50 this year)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Lucas-Rio said:

A true Zelda is definitely coming as it has been announced officially. But I am not very optimistic for a true 3D Mario.

3D World flopped for a Mario game and did not move console at all. It put the Wii U in a very bad spot last holidays and the console is still struggling to recover from it. I hope Nintendo really understand it flopped because it was not the game true platformer fans wanted.

Mario Galaxy 2 would be so hard to surpass and would need a massive work, unlike the cheap and quicly developped 3D World. It would be a killer app. Nintendo has to do it if they fund  big project games like Bayonetta or X who will sell way less.

It put Wii U in a bad spot that it hasn't recovered from? 

So, that's what happened to Wii U sales! It was 3d world all along!

Not diminishing 3rd party support or lackluster ports. Or all the delays and cancellations, nope. 3D world had the most negative effect of all.

You can't really be serious with that. 3D world, while not a big system seller actually did well. It has sold over 2 million copies, if you consider that a flop I don't know what to say.