By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U, the only Nintendo home console without a must have Mario platformer?

for me, SM3DW is the second best 3D mario.
of course is a must have plataform mario.

but the life cicle of wii U didnt end yet.
3D world apeared 6 months before it released.
They can show a new mario at 2015 E3 and release it at end of year. or 2016.
wii U is 2 years old only. They still have many things to show.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
I'd put 3D World ahead of Sunshine, though could possibly agree that neither are must-haves (objectively, anyway. 3D World's going to get high up my top 50 this year)

I agree with that! I enjoyed 3D world much more than Sunshine. Hell, Sunshine is the only mario game I didn't bother completing.

Cream147 said:
DélioPT said:
Maybe my memories of Mario Galaxy deceive me, but i really can't see a relevant difference between Mario Galaxy and 3D World. Because all i see is a level split in chunks and in 3D World it really felt that the chunks were bigger than in Mario Galaxy.

I think the main thing that sets Galaxy apart from 3D World for me is the tone of it. Where Galaxy goes for grand and epic, 3D World went for simple and fun. It means that 3D World is an absolute blast to play but Galaxy is the game that leaves the more lasting impression on me. The visual styling, soundtrack and setting just set it apart.

There are also small gameplay design things for me like the fact that 3D World is designed for multiplayer - while great - does restrict it in some ways. Level design and camera positioning are just hampered slightly for me compared to Galaxy.

That was my guess too.
I think the setting of the game and how inovative it was for a Mario game really makes it stand out.
It does have that epic feeling, too!

SJReiter said:
DélioPT said:
Maybe my memories of Mario Galaxy deceive me, but i really can't see a relevant difference between Mario Galaxy and 3D World. Because all i see is a level split in chunks and in 3D World it really felt that the chunks were bigger than in Mario Galaxy.

3D World is a great Mario game. A must-have, to me.
2D Mario on Wii U was the best New 2D Mario game i played of all the three i played (never played the 3DS one). Also a must-have game even if the look of the game got old.

There are big differences between 3D World and Galaxy. The levels in 3D World are timed, while they are not in Galaxy. The goal of the Galaxy levels is to get a star at the end, while in 3D World, the goal is to try and collect 3 stars per level and reach the flagpole before time expires. 3D World is basically a traditional 2D Mario game made in 3D, while Galaxy is an entirely different type of game.

I think the 3 stars matter more than having a timer or not. In 3D World you could roam around freely in almost every level and not feel time constrained.
The best way to describe it might a mix between Galaxy and 2D Mario. There's a big influence of Mario Galaxy in there.
Don't think that replacing a star with a pole really changes how you play the game.

Ka-pi96 said:

Nice comparison. It actually makes a lot of sense

Except it doesn't.

OT: So my thoughts about this being a stealth 3D World hate thread were right. Although it turned out to be not as stealth as I thought.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah... I suppose you're right. One did a bit better than expected, the other... didn't.

It's more like one's a spin-off and the other is what it says it is. 

3D World>>>Sunshine. And Sunshine is great too and "must have" for any platformer fan. So a big no to this question.

The second half of Mario 3D World is basically Mario Galaxy 3. It even has quite a few space themed levels.

I think people take the title as throwing them too literally ... EAD Tokyo should've just called it Super Mario Kingdom or something. It has as much in common with the Galaxy games as it does with 3D Land.

Super Mario Sunshine is really the odd ball of the 3D Mario games.

And blaming the Wii U's crappy sales on Mario 3D World is really unfair ... the system was a lost cause conceptually, Nintendo was so out of touch when making this system, that pinning it on one game (that was one of the best games Nintendo's ever made) is silly. In hindsight even trying to make a successor to the "Wii" (a casual gaming fad) was a big mistake. 

Mario Kart 8 is a great game and it's failed to keep the Wii U even selling above 100k a month in the US (not even GameCube level). Why not blame MK8 while you're at it?

Ka-pi96 said:
Lucas-Rio said:
3D World being the only 3D Mario released on Wii U would be almost equal to Hyrule Warrior replacing the nextZelda as the only Zelda game.

Nice comparison. It actually makes a lot of sense

No. Hyrule Warriors is garbage, 3D World isn't. In fact, that's how Mario should be, focusing exclusively on straight platforming, nothing like the puzzles and exploration of 64 and Galaxy, no please. Just add more difficult levels for the whores, and that's it. Mario should stay in this form, but of course, the 95% of the fans would think another thing.

Mario should be linear, a level-based platformer; Zelda should be the game with the open world, puzzles, exploration and that stuff, like in the 80's. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Also the Catsuit may seriously be my all time favorite Mario power up ever at this point, and that's saying something. I mean the game would be a must have just for that.