By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo: The Master Chief Collection will have a 20GB day one "content update".

Leadified said:
WagnerPaiva said:
I will stay away from this stinker as one avoids the Ebola.

A horrible disease which makes you bleed all over and has a high mortality rate = a 20 gb patch.

Man.

Both man made and designed for profit.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
DJEVOLVE said:

Dude add this to the forum or all you're doing is allowing people to make up random ideas to Trash XBOX.

343 Industries have revealed that players will need to download a day one patch of 20GB in order to play Halo: The Master Chief Collection when it launches this November exclusively for the Xbox One, because they've already utilised all of the space on a standard Blu-ray disc.

Hold up. In order to play? So the disc is a dud without the patch? Please tell me the wording is bad or I'm missing something or else that is really shitty.

DJEVOLVE said:
Arkaign said:
Jesus I hope they fix that with a second run of discs, that's ungodly huge for any poor bastards with data caps and or slow Internet. I know a couple people who use tethered wifi from their cell phones because they live in areas where there is no broadband, so they get 5gb of lte and going over is redonk expensive.

It's 4 games, it won't fit.

2nd disc, for install only. Hell, include a sticker or pin or something, charge $10 more, and call it the 'complete MCC' hahah.

It would save a lot of people valuable cap space, or in the case of 768k/1.5mbit connections many hours.

1.5mbit with typical internet overhead is 43 straight hours at full bore, lol. And 1.5mbit DSL is fine for gaming, which is much more latency-affected rather than raw bandwidth. A DSL 1.5mbit connection with ~10ms is far superior for gaming to an overloaded cable connection with 35mbit and 60ms latency.

DJEVOLVE said:

Dude add this to the forum or all you're doing is allowing people to make up random ideas to Trash XBOX.

343 Industries have revealed that players will need to download a day one patch of 20GB in order to play Halo: The Master Chief Collection when it launches this November exclusively for the Xbox One, because they've already utilised all of the space on a standard Blu-ray disc.

Thats two month old article. And OP and your opinion are same. And no one is bashing Xbox One. I just shared the news which I saw at twitter. Nothing else.

Leadified said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Hold up. In order to play? So the disc is a dud without the patch? Please tell me the wording is bad or I'm missing something or else that is really shitty.

Reply from Frank O'Connor

Originally Posted by Solidsoul  

My only concern is, and I ask Frankie directly.

If I am not connected to the Internet, can I pop in the disc and play through all 4 campaigns with all the cutscenes entirely without downloading any update? That's really all I need.

You can do what you described, and also a good chunk of MP custom games (from the disc, obviously you'd still want to HAVE a connection to play properly).

Around the Network

Should have just put it on a second "install" disk, cutting corners to save on unit price is lame as hell, getting close to single page manual / black and white manual to save on ink costs lame.

That's all it boils down to really, minimizing the cost and maximizing the profits, 20gb of bandwidth is cheaper than a second blu-ray disk.

Cleary397 said:
mii-gamer said:
Wow. Then again MCC has a shit ton of content

Just a shame they didnt put any on the disc LOL

Yup, its not like the 4 full campaigns and some multiplayer maps are already on disc or anything.

kowenicki said:
So

This isn't a fix patch, its extra content. This game is huge and the biggest bargain in gaming history.

Its also optional

What a lot if whining from people over nothing. Many if which have probably bought a full digits game at more Tha 20gb.

Never change VGC forums. Always take that opportunity for that cheap shot based on misinformation.

And even with all the whining, I have yet to see a post saying "I was going to buy this game until hearing this news". 

Normchacho said:
Uuuuhhh....If you have average American internet that's an hour and a half download time, not including instillation and downloading the game itself. That's garbage.

I would love an hour and a half hours to download 20gb... So...

Yeah.... Probably a few other users too! It'll take me about 4-5 hours! 

ironmanDX said:
Normchacho said:
Uuuuhhh....If you have average American internet that's an hour and a half download time, not including instillation and downloading the game itself. That's garbage.

I would love an hour and a half hours to download 20gb... So...

Yeah.... Probably a few other users too! It'll take me about 4-5 hours! 

I'm pretty damn sure you would agree, rather than the ones that have chosen to take the "meh not an issue, the complainers probably never intended to buy anyway / dont have xbox ones", that you would have been much happier if they included the content on a second "install" disk, rather than having to download the extra content in order to get the full experience.

As it stands, nobody has really attacked the game over it, instead they're just dissapointed/displeased with the practice.

People can say "well it doesnt affect the main experience anyway", It bloody well does if all you want to do is put the game in and jump straight in to playing the old games multiplayer maps like I do.

I have net fast enough to download it in a very short amount of time, XBL server speed permitting, but that doesn't change my opinion of this being a BS practice, 20gb is bigger than, or a huge chunk of most peoples bandwidth caps, and for many others is a lengthly download, multyplayer will work just fine on even a 1mbit connection, but a 20gb download will not.

Makes me wonder how many people will hit their DL cap just installing the addon content, then have to deal with laggy multiplayer for the rest of the month because their bandwidth got throttled.

They should have put the content on a second disk, and everyone, even the xbox diehards, should be asking for the same thing rather than defending it tooth and nail and shrugging off any negativity as nothing but an attack on their platform.

Here's the total download time for various connection speeds, with a 4% bandwidth overhead (using 96% of their maximum connection speed)

512Kbps = 3 days 18 hours 17 minutes
1mbit = 1 day 21 hours 8 minutes
2mbit = 22 hours 34 minutes
5mbit (Average US packaged service speed) = 9 hours 14 minutes
10mbit (Average US high speed) = 4 hours 37 minutes
20mbit = 2 hours 19 minutes