By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Pins Comeback on Exclusives

It's like they're remembering what they've forgotten. I never owned an original Xbox but the thing had a lot of exclusives (though a lot of it was crap). Bloodwake, Azurik, Blinx, Amped, Sega's games. What made them change?

Around the Network

Microsoft doesn't need to have a lot of first party games. It just needs to have a console that isn't too expensive (Kinect 2.0 forced) and too ahead of its time (digital and cloud).

If the One didn't have any of those two liabilities and invested more in better specs like the PS4, it would be selling much better.

They bought Gears, and minecraft, I'm pretty sure he is serious but we have the usually comments to start.

So Phil's strategy is low install base with high attach rate for a handful of constantly recycled franchises. That'll work.

This guy seems to be getting worse not better at planning for success.

If you actually want to plan for exclusives to drive a high install base then you should be modelling Sony not Nintendo. But Phil would choke on his own bile if he had to acknowledge Sony in that way.

Ms can't pay enough to keep established franchises permanently off Ps4 at this point. But they cans buy exclusive new IP from 3rd parties. The thing is PS4 will get exclusive 3rd party content without having to pay a bean.

Fact of the matter is there is nothing MS (or Nintendo) can do to substantially take back market share from PS4, only Sony can gift market share by screwing up. And too many more Driveclub screw ups could do the trick.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

DJEVOLVE said:
They bought Gears, and minecraft, I'm pretty sure he is serious but we have the usually comments to start.

Though it raises the question are they incompetant in making them them selves, and need to resort to buying rather then creating.  Problem with buying ips is they never are as good as made by the original team, and to often talent bolts when taken over by a big corporate.  

Also difference between them and WWS is WWS works with devs and often they themseves approach them with the idea to buy them.  They dont just blindly decide we want so we buy.

They clearly are serious, but they also are arrogant and blind long term in their appoach.  They are more bullys tacticks then partner working together ones. 

Which i see it will fail surely as far as it being some sort of catalyst to taking back market from PS4.  Succces if it only mean x1 exclusves with little to no effect on hardware.

Around the Network

What comeback?

binary solo said:

Fact of the matter is there is nothing MS (or Nintendo) can do to substantially take back market share from PS4, only Sony can gift market share by screwing up. And too many more Driveclub screw ups could do the trick.

doubt that, DC screw up is a new ip from a small dev sad and pathetic but mostly irrelevent to the success of the PS4.

Since for all its success, it happend with out a sinlge top 5 PS dev or franchise.  

So is he just gonna buy every third party and starve the PS4 or what?

It's time MS starts building more franchises, even if they don't sell Halo or GoW amounts, but more like InFamous and LBP amounts. Nor every exclusive has to sell shit tons to be successful and critically acclaimed.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Bullsrun said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Though it raises the question are they incompetant in making them them selves, and need to resort to buying rather then creating.  Problem with buying ips is they never are as good as made by the original team, and to often talent bolts when taken over by a big corporate.  

Also difference between them and WWS is WWS works with devs and often they themseves approach them with the idea to buy them.  They dont just blindly decide we want so we buy.

They clearly are serious, but they also are arrogant and blind long term in their appoach.  They are more bullys tacticks then partner working together ones. 

Which i see it will fail surely as far as it being some sort of catalyst to taking back market from PS4.  Succces if it only mean x1 exclusves with little to no effect on hardware.

Well I think Halo 4 was one of the best. I  Agree with what you're saying but I think they have realized their mistakes.

Burek said:
Good strategy, copy Nintendo.
We all see how it's working for them.

I am very scared that this will just turn into "buying 3rd party exclusives" and "paying 3rd party to avoid PS4".

Thats what is happening. Quantum Break, Tomb Raider, Scalebound, Killer Instinct (Developed by two third party developers), Ryse, Dead Rising, Titanfall. The hype is all third party. MS needs to prove the naysayers wrong (including me) and truthfully I want them to.