By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Wii U Really Doing Bad? My Viewpoint

I like to think the Wii and Wii U are both outliers. One has the highest sales for a Nintendo console and the other one may have the lowest sale of a Nintendo console.

That said, I think the Wii U should get close to 10 million before New Years hit.

Around the Network
t3mporary_126 said:
I like to think the Wii and Wii U are both outliers. One has the highest sales for a Nintendo console and the other one may have the lowest sale of a Nintendo console.

That said, I think the Wii U should get close to 10 million before New Years hit.

Agreed, a best selling consoles vs a worst selling console comparison is boring.(Saleswise) 

Most Anticipated Games on Wii U

Super Smash Bros. Wii U, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Splatoon, Zelda Wii U, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, 3D Metroid game, another 3D Mario game.

Most Anticipated Games on 3DS

Super Smash Bros. 3DS, Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, Xenoblade Chronicles(N3DS).

CosmicSex said:

Without getting to deep or indepth, I don't believe that the Wii U is really doing as poorly as people think it is.  I believe that it is actually returning to is normal sales.  Its hard to disconnect the Wii from the Wii U and think of it as a seperate system, but it is.  Was the performance of the Wii really normal?  Or was it an outliner.  Being at the right place at the right time launching alongside the terribily expensive PS3 while enjoying the gifts bestowed by mass market appeal?

I submit (for your consideration) that the Wii U should not be compared to the Wii as it was basically a freak of nature.  The sales success of the Wii  should be considered an outliner in Nintendo's console history, and that we should be comparing it to the Gamecube.  If we acccept that the Wii was an outliner, the current performance of the Wii U really doesn't look that bad.  In fact, I think it is likely to pass the Gamecube in lifetime sales. 

Heck, even I want the Wii U to play Xenoblade!

There seems to be this disconnect between what made the Wii an insase success and what should be considered normal for the Nintendo brand.   It became a fad.  And thats okay because in the end a sale is a sale.   Nintendo has a group of fans which are probably more loyal than any other gaming brand.  They make great games that are always polished and enjoyable for what they are.   I believe that reaching the Gamecube's level of sales (or passing it) will show that Nintendo's core support is in place. 

Do you consider the Wii U sales to be poor?  If so are you comparing it to the Wii and do you have a clear grasp on what made the Wii unusual? 

I can't.... This is a joke post right? There isn't a dumber opinion out there than the "Wii was a fad so it doesn't count" one. Every piece of technology is a 'fad' that is eventually replaced by something newer. If the Gamecube wasn't a fad, why isn't it still selling well today?

The Gamecube was a huge failure for Nintendo. The fact that the Wii U could only dream of achieving such sales tells you just how bad things are.

People don't want underpowered devices. Look at the system leading the pack right now.
I have enjoyed the Wii U. MK8 is a ton of fun. But when they make a new system it's going to have to focus on the future. 4K graphics, regular style controller... This is what people are going to be looking to buy in a few years.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Still too early to say, it is selling less than its competitors but I agree it isnt selling bad.
Honestly though, if it sold a little more than I would be happy.

I strongly believe this gen sales will be far less than last gens.

EDIT: Almost forgot to say,

It's good to see a lot of the anti-Nintendo stigma fading from the world. It wont completely disappear but the less their is the better for sales.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network
Moonhero said:
People don't want underpowered devices. Look at the system leading the pack right now.
I have enjoyed the Wii U. MK8 is a ton of fun. But when they make a new system it's going to have to focus on the future. 4K graphics, regular style controller... This is what people are going to be looking to buy in a few years.

I doubt even MSony will have native UHD graphics, let alone Nintendo.

People seem to forget that pixel count from 720p to 1080p is 2.25x (with performance hit of around 1.7), while 1080p to 2160p is 4x (with performance hit of around 3x).

Considering that many, if not most, think that 7th-8th gen jump is "small", even though PS3-PS4 is 10x, which, after the resolution penalty, translates to some 5-6x of actual jump, for MSony to have that same 5-6x actual jump for native UHD, they would need at least 15x stronger consoles...which in current tech TFLOPS would be some 27TFLOPS...and that's not going to happen, most estimates are around 15TFLOPS.

That said, IMO, most probable scenario is that native reolution would be targeted at either 2560*1440 or 2880*1620 (latter translates to same 720p to 1080p jump), with good upscalers, which leaves Nintendo with excellent opportunity to make proper 1080p console (which would call for 5TFLOPS GPU) that is actually capable or running all the multiplats and have upscaled UHD...but somehow, I doubt they will opt for that.

t3mporary_126 said:

How? It's selling way less per month than it needs to. What was the latest figure? I think 45k WW. 

reggin_bolas said:
t3mporary_126 said:

How? It's selling way less per month than it needs to. What was the latest figure? I think 45k WW. 

Shipped numbers? SSB for Wii U?

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Even if Wii U does above GC numbers, it will still be a failure.

Actually, more than the GC, because Nintendo still made a lot of money from the GC and with the Wii U they sold the console at a loss for a year a year and half.
Also, with so few games being released on the console - unlike the GC days - they aren't getting a lot in royalties, either.

At the end of Wii U's generation, from the home console perspective, they might end up paying for the R&D and the losses they took with the Wii U, but then how much in profit did they actually gained from a whole generation?

If they had the support that GC had, if they hadn't cut on sports franchises exclusive to their systems, and maybe things would be better today.

Generally, we can pin a console's future based on it's first year.

The WiiU's first year was disastrously bad. Awful marketing. Tons of delays. No info on major upcoming releases. Really poor communication to fans. And too many early signs of dwindling 3rd party support and uncertain future with indies. And really, one of the weakest 1st party lineups could really put together.

The second year is trending way up. Better marketing (but still room for improvement). Not all that many disappointing delays. And we're now much better informed via Treehouse on the state of specific games. And although the 'mature' level 3rd party support is gone, the Wii U has games like Skylanders and Lego on lock for a long time to come. The indie support too has been much better than expected. The best of the WiiU's 1st party content is finally beginning to arrive at along last.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016