By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Wii U Really Doing Bad? My Viewpoint

DélioPT said:

Without a doubt the handheld market has shrunk.
Before, parents could only contemplate a Nintendo portable for their kids, now they just lend their tablets or smartphones to play whatever game they have there and that's it.
That's why the Fusion strategy is vital to Nintendo: less spending on games and more revenue/profit with each game they release. So, even if they can't go back to GBA levels of HW sales, they can at least hope for a better financial state.

Wii U's tablet wasn't the reason for Wii U's situation. If anything, Nintendo tried to introduce a tablet with buttons and joyticks to an audience that was used to tablets and wasn't afraid anymore of those buttons, as a result of their experiment with the Wii remote and nunchuk.
It's just that everything else around it, failed.

I can't see 3DS lasting another 3/4 years.
3DS has, by year's end, been in the market for almost 4 years.
We already saw sales being flat last year despite a huge line-up. This year sales are going to fall a lot. And next year, if NEW 3DS hasn't another great line-up, it will fall even more.
Wii U won't last because it's sales are so low that when they start to go down (normal lifecycle) it won't be able to keep on sustaining the SW sales Nintendo needs.
Even if at GC levels in HW, Nintendo gets less profits for the same amount of games sold during GC's life. How do you justify big investments?
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo announces the fusion strategy in 2016 to be released in the same year. By then, almost 6 years for 3DS and 4 for Wii U. And whatever titles they have for the Fusion consoles, they will release it on Wii U to keep fans happy.

I'm really curious about Splatoon.
It's SP mode might be the TPS Wii U also needs. And with a frantic MP mode it could really do wonders for Wii U and Nintendo's image in general.
NIntendo also has high hopes for the game. They said they want it to be another MK or Smash, i can't remember.

The next briefing is on 29th October.

I'm just not sure that a 2016 launch date for the Fusion would be such a great idea; that'll be the peak year of PS4 and X1, launching then could be quite troublesome...

Yeah Splatoon looks awesome

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

For me, the Wii U is and isn't a failure. It's a mixture of both. I'll first list why I feel that the Wii U IS a failure:

- Nintendo marketed the console poorly

- Little to no Third Party support

- People see the console as a 7th Generation console, instead of an 8th Generation console

- People think the Wii U is an add-on for the Wii

- The console is much weaker in terms of horsepower compared to the PS4, XBox One and PC

- The console revolves around a controller gimmick (Gamepad), repeating the Wii (Wii Remote Motion Control)

- People label the Wii U as the GameCube 2.0 or Wii 2.0

Now let me list why I feel the Wii U is NOT a failure

- Great First and Second Party titles available and coming out that will convince people to buy the Wii U

- The console is cheaper than the PS4 and XBox One, so it's more affordable

- Free Online

- It's backwards compatible with Wii games and you can transfer your data from your Wii to your Wii U

- It's had great reliability so far; people have been having a few issues with their PS4, XBox One and PC

That's what I can think of as of now.

DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:

Without a doubt the handheld market has shrunk.
Before, parents could only contemplate a Nintendo portable for their kids, now they just lend their tablets or smartphones to play whatever game they have there and that's it.
That's why the Fusion strategy is vital to Nintendo: less spending on games and more revenue/profit with each game they release. So, even if they can't go back to GBA levels of HW sales, they can at least hope for a better financial state.

Wii U's tablet wasn't the reason for Wii U's situation. If anything, Nintendo tried to introduce a tablet with buttons and joyticks to an audience that was used to tablets and wasn't afraid anymore of those buttons, as a result of their experiment with the Wii remote and nunchuk.
It's just that everything else around it, failed.

I can't see 3DS lasting another 3/4 years.
3DS has, by year's end, been in the market for almost 4 years.
We already saw sales being flat last year despite a huge line-up. This year sales are going to fall a lot. And next year, if NEW 3DS hasn't another great line-up, it will fall even more.
Wii U won't last because it's sales are so low that when they start to go down (normal lifecycle) it won't be able to keep on sustaining the SW sales Nintendo needs.
Even if at GC levels in HW, Nintendo gets less profits for the same amount of games sold during GC's life. How do you justify big investments?
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo announces the fusion strategy in 2016 to be released in the same year. By then, almost 6 years for 3DS and 4 for Wii U. And whatever titles they have for the Fusion consoles, they will release it on Wii U to keep fans happy.

I'm really curious about Splatoon.
It's SP mode might be the TPS Wii U also needs. And with a frantic MP mode it could really do wonders for Wii U and Nintendo's image in general.
NIntendo also has high hopes for the game. They said they want it to be another MK or Smash, i can't remember.

The next briefing is on 29th October.

I'm just not sure that a 2016 launch date for the Fusion would be such a great idea; that'll be the peak year of PS4 and X1, launching then could be quite troublesome...

Yeah Splatoon looks awesome

Wouldn't 2015 be their peak year?
But even so, what can they do? By 2016 what kind of support will Wii U and 3DS have from Nintendo?

With Wii U it's basically Nintendo software and Lego/kids games. With 3DS, only in Japan are they getting real 3rd party support.
We already saw a weaker year for 3DS in terms of sales and software. In 2015 Nintendo will be heavily supporting Wii U and 3DS will most likely see less original support (NEW 3DS will most likely be the home for a good number of GC and/or Wii games) and that's going to keep hurting 3DS.
I'm not sure that even if a price cut happens for 3DS, things will change a lot.
By the way, do you know of any titles for 3DS for 2015? Has that happened before with 3DS?

And come 2016, Wii U and 3DS sales and support will dwindle.
Might aswell pick up what's left of interest in those brands and start a new cycle, instead of waiting for 2017 and seeing 3DS and  Wii U go through what we saw with Wii: in 2011 we got Zelda SS, Xenoblade (old title), Pokepark 2 and Mario Sports Mix (Square-Enix) from Nintendo. In 2012 we got MP 9, The Last Story (Mistwalker), Pandora's Tower(someone...) Project Zero 2 (Tecmo Koei).

In house games, the last two years were for 3DS - which still got shortages - and really bare for Wii.
If Nintendo does this with 3DS and Wii U, this time, there won't be anyone to pick up the slack.

As much as i wanted 3DS and Wii U to really last, i can't see a scenario where both will be alive and well after 2016.

Performed poorly, It effectively wasted its first year on the market. That's not even comparing it to the Wii.

Performing better? Aside for MK8, its doing about the same. Unless the Wii U can drop heavy hitters as often as this year, it's not looking good.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank