By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Playing Metroid 1 for the first time, come hang out or whatever

Tagged games:

Rate Metroid 1 (NES)

Never played it 6 37.50%

best game ever 10/10 5 31.25%

it's okay 1-9 4 25.00%

wouldn't touch it 0/10 1 6.25%

Total:16

So far I have the Morph Ball, Bombs, the Long Beam, 20 missiles, and 399 max health. In the early parts of Kraid.

I played Zero Mission once a couple of years ago, so I remember a few vague things, but not much (that's how I'm playing -- on my Zero Mission cartridge).

I'm not looking for tips or anything, I want to beat the game on my own, just thought it might be neat to discuss while I'm playing. So far the only thing that actively bothers me is how they start you with less than 1/3 of your health right off the bat, and every time you die you respawn with 30 health. Since the only effective way to heal is to camp in front of an air hole for a few minutes, which is not fun, it's a real drag.

Around the Network

Wish I had the patience to play NES games. You enjoying it?

Purple said:
Wish I had the patience to play NES games. You enjoying it?

The first time I tried it (shortly after completing Zero Mission), I didn't like it. This time I am enjoying it. I was in the right mood for something old fashioned, and decided to give it another go. It certainly does require patience, but success feels very rewarding.

Have fun, and good luck :D

I beat the game once, without any help (though, it took a while). It's hard not to get confused, with all the areas and rooms to explore!

But, it's a pretty neat game. Big fan of the Metroid series, myself!

Ultravolt said:

I beat the game once, without any help (though, it took a while). It's hard not to get confused, with all the areas and rooms to explore!

Thanks. I think I'm keeping up with where I've been so far, but it'll be getting a lot more complicated pretty soon. I like Metroid, but it seems like each game really has to grow on me one at a time. Even Prime, when I first played it last year, didn't quite click with me right away. I think the next time I play it, I'll love it.

Update on Metroid 1, I reached a wall in Norfair that I don't think I can get past yet. Nothing seems bombable. Looks like I need either the high jump or the ice beam to advance here. Guess I'll go back to Brinstar, I saw another way I could go.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Ultravolt said:

Thanks. I think I'm keeping up with where I've been so far, but it'll be getting a lot more complicated pretty soon. I like Metroid, but it seems like each game really has to grow on me one at a time. Even Prime, when I first played it last year, didn't quite click with me right away. I think the next time I play it, I'll love it.

Update on Metroid 1, I reached a wall in Norfair that I don't think I can get past yet. Nothing seems bombable. Looks like I need either the high jump or the ice beam to advance here. Guess I'll go back to Brinstar, I saw another way I could go.

Haha yeah, some Metroid games are definitely hard to get into at first (I personally never felt this way, but many have)

Anyway, i guess if you see any hovering enemies you can't kill, you probably need the ice beam! Though, sometimes, the best way to get through the game is to bomb all over the place haha :D

Ultravolt said:

Haha yeah, some Metroid games are definitely hard to get into at first (I personally never felt this way, but many have)

Anyway, i guess if you see any hovering enemies you can't kill, you probably need the ice beam! Though, sometimes, the best way to get through the game is to bomb all over the place haha :D

Yeah, right now the struggle is being required to freefall into areas below my field of vision, and dropping directly onto enemies that hit me for 20 damage when I only have 30 to begin with. Sheesh.

I have Zero Mission and have yet to play it, but i have no regular DS anymore, so I'd have to get out my GBA. And I don't really want to do that especially with other games that I'd rather play.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

I remember buying metroid at a yard sale as a kid for $5. The game cover made me think it was like megaman. Man was I surprised but luckily in a good way with the open ended exploration. After that i spent most of my 3rd grade summer on it. I was so hyped for metroid 2 for game boy and beat it within a month, Super metroid blew my mind. The most underrated series in gaming

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Cool thread. I tried playing it a few years back, but I gave up on it. I hope you make it all the way through.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)