By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if.... Sega never made that awful mistake with the Sega Saturn?

Arkaign said:
If they had simply made a Motorola 68060-based system with a cart slot, CD drive, and some light 3D acceleration capabilities on par with PS1, they could have had a FAST system for both 2D and 3D, backwards compatible with Genesis, and I'm sure it would have done great with the right software (arcade ports and updates to Genesis top sellers). It goes without saying that it would have been better if the 32X had never been made.

While looking in hindsight, we can easily agree that this would have been more successful...back then it didn't look like the right choice. Remember, Sega of Japan was not successful with the Genesis. They needed a new console and infact hated what Sega America was doing.And they weren't looking to prolong the genesis as it wasn't working in Japan.

Here is amazing interview with Tom Kalinske, who ran Sega of America in the 90s. The whole interview is amazing but this part is gold -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA-SUVeR0Z4#t=1423

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Arkaign said:
If they had simply made a Motorola 68060-based system with a cart slot, CD drive, and some light 3D acceleration capabilities on par with PS1, they could have had a FAST system for both 2D and 3D, backwards compatible with Genesis, and I'm sure it would have done great with the right software (arcade ports and updates to Genesis top sellers). It goes without saying that it would have been better if the 32X had never been made.

While looking in hindsight, we can easily agree that this would have been more successful...back then it didn't look like the right choice. Remember, Sega of Japan was not successful with the Genesis. They needed a new console and infact hated what Sega America was doing.And they weren't looking to prolong the genesis as it wasn't working in Japan.

Here is amazing interview with Tom Kalinske, who ran Sega of America in the 90s. The whole interview is amazing but this part is gold -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA-SUVeR0Z4#t=1423

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. Love stuff like this.

The Sega CD and the 32X didn't help too much either!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

TheAdjustmentBureau said:

Oh god. People comparing Xbox one to Saturn. Is this for real?
This gen is not over. Not even a year old. Sonya first party games that are AAA titles aren't getting praise at the moment. The order looks like it could review average like driveclub which isn't a great start. It depends what reception sunset gets but if its great Xbox could start to turn the tabales. Especially if other Sony titles next year don't do well either.

People counting there chickens rather early. Is be surprised if some people didn't move to Xbox if Xbox kept getting much better scoring exclusive games. Halo mcc is a remake, but it is the most content loaded remake ever made. And halo has a fanbase of 10 mill + people.

Just enjoy your console and watch the battle. Don't make stupid moronic statements like xb1 is Saturn. When clearly they aren't even close.

No, it's not real, you actually leaving on dream world lol. Actually alot of people compared them. Not just me but should i pointed them one by one, give me 1 Trillion to that Lol, but seriously just type Xbox One compared to Sega Saturn on Google, just tried it for fun :P. The fact is PS1 doesnt have such great title on early days , the same can be said with PS4, no backward compability (again i hit a jack pot even Saturn dont have backward compability as well Xbox One ). Both console resambles  on how they competing.

I just need to give my opinion eventhou some people said moronic or not becuse i do belive most of Microsoft fans (another funy fact that I relize ) is an old Sega fans :).

The saturn alone wasnt the problem. The problem was also the mega drive peripherals they launched and stop supporting within 6 months to a year. That pissed off customers to begin with.
Come the saturn, they stealth launched the console and also proceeded to quickly drop support once they werent happy with it. That was the biggest mistake of them all.

After all that burning and with the Playstation offering a strong alternative, by the time the Dreamcast came out, no one (in a general sense) cared anymore.
I perfectly remember that i was the first person to buy a Dreamcast in Portugal and it was a complete stealth affair. When the same happened with the Playstation 2, the person was on national news. SEGA dropped the ball when they couldnt have (aswell as Nintendo) and opened the door for the Playstation to be a sucess.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

Second, the Saturn was supposedly difficult to develop for, which probably would have resulted in most third parties sticking with PS1. Square, Enix, Capcom, and Konami, the biggest third parties of the late 80s & early 90s, jumped ship from Nintendo to Sony because the PS1 used CDs. The Saturn was CD-based as well, but I doubt those third parties would have made a concerted effort to port all their biggest games to the Saturn, and besides, this was a time when exclusives were the rule rather than the exception, which may have been due to greater hardware differences between platforms (it wasn't until the sixth generation when platforms started to become more congruent in capabilities, a process that resulted in the PS4 and XBO both using the same x86 processor).

Actually, Sony had very little support initially. Everybody thought the PS1 would be a spectacular failure like the 3DO and expected Sega and Nintendo to continue to rule supreme. And exclusives weren't very common at all. Games came out on everything under the sun in the mid 90s.

Sony had to put an awful lot of work into convincing the likes of Square and Namco to support them. This went as far as actually doing all their Western publishing and distribution for them and also down to funding marketing for the software.

Final Fantasy VII was a Sega Saturn exclusive before Sony talked them into going with the PS1. There is a reason FFVII was the first (main franchise) Final Fantasy game to be released in Europe, and that was because Sony published and distributed it for them. Something Nintendo had never thought to do previously.

Namco were lured again with Sony doing all the publishing and footing a lot of the risk for them, particularly in the West where they had limited presence as far as home consoles went. They also got led on the fact that on PlayStation, they had no competition, whilst on the Saturn, their flagship arcade titles would be going up against the kings of the day. Tekken would have had to go toe to toe with Virtua Fighter on Saturn, Ridge Racer would also have had Daytona USA. Direct competition which they sidestepped by taking Sony up on their offer.

Sony worked hard to get the 3rd party support they got and in 1994 they were unable to take any developer for granted. Even the games the PS1 is best known for like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider were multiplatform franchises initially. This combined with their ground breaking decision to sell hardware at a loss to recoup back on software gave them a rocket start which is why it ended up becoming the defacto system. Also it's no coincidence that they were the first console manufacturer to not treat Europe like a bastard child and the fact they were the first manufacturer to truly crack Europe which had been far more Home Computer centric up until that point.

It was all this combined with SEGA's (and to a lesser extent Nintendo's) mis-steps that put PlayStation where it was. Timing was crucial, had they not hit the market at the time they did as well as having all this in place, PlayStation would have probably ended up on the pile with the CDi, 3DO, AmigaCD32, Atari Jaguar etc. Nintendo's delay and Sega's "overpriced underpowered" rival option gave the perfect storm a new unknown entity needed in the gaming place. Sony didn't have the brute force finances Microsoft were able to use to gain a foothold. Most of Sony actually thought the PlayStation was a joke until it unexpectedly prevailed.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

This thread has gone crazy. I'll leave the crazy talk to you guys. Absolutely nuts.

Nem said:
The saturn alone wasnt the problem. The problem was also the mega drive peripherals they launched and stop supporting within 6 months to a year. That pissed off customers to begin with.
Come the saturn, they stealth launched the console and also proceeded to quickly drop support once they werent happy with it. That was the biggest mistake of them all.

After all that burning and with the Playstation offering a strong alternative, by the time the Dreamcast came out, no one (in a general sense) cared anymore.
I perfectly remember that i was the first person to buy a Dreamcast in Portugal and it was a complete stealth affair. When the same happened with the Playstation 2, the person was on national news. SEGA dropped the ball when they couldnt have (aswell as Nintendo) and opened the door for the Playstation to be a sucess.

Check out this thread for exact details on what happened

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=191592&page=1#

Its pretty clear that...

- Sega of america had major success with the Genesis and wanted to keep it alive as long as possible

At the same time

-  Sega of America did not support the Saturn as they knew it was a nightmare to program for and was looking for a different console to launch 

But...

- Sega of Japan turned down consoles from SGI (Nintendo 64) and joint console with Sony (Sega Playstation?) in order to build and launch the Saturn

meanwhile...

- Sega of Japan didn't support the 32X at all despite promissing games and they cut all Genesis support early in 1996 to push the Saturn

finally...

- Sega of Japan took full control from Sega of America in 1995 and forced them to launch the Saturn early despite lack of games

Everyone always keeps asking "why launch 32X when Saturn is around the corner?". The answer is beacuse half of the company doesn't believe in the Saturn and wants to keep pushing the Genesis well in to the 32 bit era. This may not have been a bad strategy if the whole company was behind it...but sadly the dominant part of the company didn't see it that way.

Had the Saturn better 3D performance, it would have been more popular. Brb better arcade ports, more games, more profit...

What it was great for was it´s 2D capabilities, as it was initially designed for. 3D was an after thought because of the competition at the time, hence it´s poor 3D performance.

It also did well in Japan, so I compare it a lot with the Vita regarding commercial success. Good in Japan, crappy elsewhere.