By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1080p 60fps is far from impossible

Jazz2K said:
MikeRox said:
Matthewconner2100 said:
This resolution thing has always sounded like trolling to me...is it really that bad, 900p upscaled to 1080p...kids these days are so spoiled.

Nail on head.

I'd love for an experiment to be done whereby people are deliberately told a sub 1080p game is 1080p and another game that actually is 1080p they're told is 720p or 900p to see just how many people realise that it's the other way around and how many people just go on to trumpet that the first game has the better resolution and the graphics are much clearer for it.

Totally this. People claim this and that but most would fail the test miserably. When people think resolution is a feature that can be activated because of immense power you know something is wrong. Like shaders, animation, size of world, number of AI on screen, lightning and so on won't affect resolution. Devs must laugh their guts out reading coments (those who are reading that is ehh) or they must feel the pain crying and hope they weren't this clueless prior to being devs. 

I agree, too.  I've seen people with the smallest, cheapest, shittiest TVs on the market champion "1080p/60fps" like it was some sort of mantra.  Even a couple guys on my job with PS4's say "Man, I can't mess with that Xbox. It can't even do 1080." and these guys aren't even the slightest bit tech savvy.  In fact, they're the ones that only play games like Madden, NBA2K, and MAYBE Call of Duty.  Just repeating something that someone else told them was good.  

Yes, higher resolution and greater frame rate is preferred but only if you can take advantage of the performance.  

Around the Network

Fun games is far from impossible - stop making shiny trds.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

MikeRox said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Not to get off subject here but the PS2 was 1.5+ years older than both the Xbox and GC.  So yeah it should have been kinda weaker.  The sad fact was that it was still powerfull enough to stand up to both, and only the Xbox ever gave it a run for its money.

I don't know, the GameCube and Xbox both had exclusives which showed they were more powerful systems, they just didn't have the userbase for 3rd parties to bother pushing them to their full capabilities. Had either of them been closer to PS2 sales, there would have likely been a much bigger difference for that platform.

When 70% of your userbase is on the weaker system, it makes far more sense for that to be the lead system then port whatever you have across to the others than it does making the lower userbase the lead system then having to make lots of tweaks and compromises to get it running on the PS2. Check out Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast to see just how much more horsepower the Xbox had when it was treated as the lead platform (on a multi platform game).

Or look at the cutbacks that had to be made porting RE4 to the PS2.  The PS2 was a great system but it was clearly less capable than the 'Cube and the Xbox.  It was my "go-to" for that gen but I was always a little jealous that I never owned an Xbox.

d21lewis said:
MikeRox said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Not to get off subject here but the PS2 was 1.5+ years older than both the Xbox and GC.  So yeah it should have been kinda weaker.  The sad fact was that it was still powerfull enough to stand up to both, and only the Xbox ever gave it a run for its money.

I don't know, the GameCube and Xbox both had exclusives which showed they were more powerful systems, they just didn't have the userbase for 3rd parties to bother pushing them to their full capabilities. Had either of them been closer to PS2 sales, there would have likely been a much bigger difference for that platform.

When 70% of your userbase is on the weaker system, it makes far more sense for that to be the lead system then port whatever you have across to the others than it does making the lower userbase the lead system then having to make lots of tweaks and compromises to get it running on the PS2. Check out Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast to see just how much more horsepower the Xbox had when it was treated as the lead platform (on a multi platform game).

Or look at the cutbacks that had to be made porting RE4 to the PS2.  The PS2 was a great system but it was clearly less capable than the 'Cube and the Xbox.  It was my "go-to" for that gen but I was always a little jealous that I never owned an Xbox.

Ps2  whas def the weakest of the 2 but the difference was  not like the ps3 and wii..more like the x360 and ps3.

Games like God of war,Final Fantasy 10 And Ghosthunter showed that the ps2 whas quit strong.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

d21lewis said:

Yes, higher resolution and greater frame rate is preferred but only if you can take advantage of the performance.  

It's impossible to have a better description of this and last generation

"This game sucks it is a waste of cash, but hey look better than yours"

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
160rmf said:
d21lewis said:

It's impossible to have a better description of this and last generation

"This game sucks it is a waste of cash, but hey look better than yours"

I think he more meant, if you're using a shitty $200 LCD TV to play your games on, most of that prescious frame rate and image quality is lost through your awful display.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Eddie_Raja said:
MikeRox said:

Honestly God Of War says hi to any great looking GC exclusive.  (I owned a Gamecube and PS2 btw).

God of War 1 and 2 looked amazing for their hardware, but they used fewer and less advanced effects compared to top end Gamecube games.

MikeRox said:
Eddie_Raja said:
MikeRox said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Honestly God Of War says hi to any great looking GC exclusive.  (I owned a Gamecube and PS2 btw).

Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX and Starfox Adventures say waddup? ;)

Edit: So does Resident Evil 4 thanks to the below post ;)

I mean they look good but they don't come anywhere near to putting them to shame.  It's debatable. 

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

If you really cared about graphics that much wouldn't you just use a PC? That has the best graphics. I'm not a fanboy I have a wii, Xbox 360, Wii U, all the gameboys, All the versions of the DS, and a 3DS and I do have steam.

Consoles owned: Wii U wii gamecube DS DS lite DSi 3DS Xbox 360 Gameboy Gameboy color Gameboy advance Gameboy Advance sp Gameboy micro and PC. 

Eddie_Raja said:
MikeRox said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX and Starfox Adventures say waddup? ;)

Edit: So does Resident Evil 4 thanks to the below post ;)

I mean they look good but they don't come anywhere near to putting them to shame.  It's debatable. 

Who said they put the PS2 to shame? We're merely saying that the GC and Xbox were more powerful systems, and they clearly were. We weren't saying there was a generational gap. Hell there are Dreamcast games that look great too, but I'm not going to try and argue it was more powerful than the other systems, even if some multi platform software was superior on it to the PS2.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.