By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - September 2014 NPD Thread! Everything is up!

Dark_Feanor said:

PS3 did about 220k and 360 170k (if we going by NeoGaf inferences). However both had bundles.

http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/197303-NPD-September-2013-U-S-sales-results-GTA-V-revitalises-the-declining-US-games-market

• 3DS: Best selling platform.
• PS3: Best selling console. The GTA bundle represented a large portion of its sales.
• Xbox 360: Has sold 1.6 million this year so far. This gives us an estimate of 169K.
• Wii U: Up 200% from last month. To note, a 200% increase means it's three times as much as last month.

"This month, Xbox 360 reached 80 million consoles sold to retailers worldwide* and maintained its lead as the number one selling console in the U.S. in 2013.

September 2013 NPD highlights:

• Last month marked the biggest September software sales for Xbox 360, with sales reaching $401.2 million, the most for any console in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, September 2013)
• Xbox 360 continues to see strong consumer demand with an amazing lineup of titles. In fact, Xbox 360 held five of the top 10 console games during the month of September including: “Grand Theft Auto V,” “FIFA 14,” “Madden NFL 14,” “Diablo III” and “NBA 2K14.” (Source: NPD Group, September 2013)
• Xbox 360 remains the number one selling console in the U.S. in 2013, with 1.6 million units sold this year. (Source: NPD Group, September 2013)

Xbox 360 is poised for another successful holiday with recently announced Xbox 360 holiday bundles available worldwide at select major retailers. The three holiday bundles are:

• Xbox 360 250GB Holiday Bundle with “Halo 4” and “Tomb Raider” as well as one month free of Xbox Live Gold available for $249.99** USD (ERP).
• Xbox 360 4GB Kinect Holiday Bundle with “Kinect Sports: Season Two” and “Kinect Adventures” as well as one month free of Xbox Live Gold available for $249.99** USD (ERP).
• Xbox 360 250GB Kinect Holiday Bundle with “Kinect Sports: Season Two,” “Kinect Adventures,” and “Forza Horizon” as well as one month free of Xbox Live Gold available for $349.99** USD (ERP).

This holiday only, the Xbox 360 4GB Console is available for an incredible value of $179.99** USD (ERP). Now is the time to get a great deal on Xbox 360.

Looking ahead to Xbox One launch, we continue to see overwhelming demand for the console with pre-orders for Xbox One selling out quicker than any previous Xbox release; Xbox One pre-orders continue to outpace Xbox 360 pre-orders in the same time period. While we remain on track to honor all pre-order commitments, we do expect to sell every Xbox One we deliver to retail this holiday.

With the release of Xbox One, amazing new titles coming to Xbox One and Xbox 360 and best-ever holiday offers available for Xbox 360, it’s going to be a great year for Xbox.

*Internal Microsoft data
**Games inside marked packages, while supplies last. Estimated retail price; actual prices may vary.

See participating retailer for details."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I just noticed that the 3DS is included in the Hardware total sales and Gaf says sales decreased 40% YoY.

So, forgive me if I don´t belive in that pie chart.

If you dont believe the charts, the leak and only waiting on official statement from Sony or MS then why bother  posting on the NPD thread for the past 9 months just to say you don't believe. ...

Around the Network

IMO Patcher intentionally makes wrong predictions. And thus Patcher always strikes back. This guy knows how to make himself relevant. People at forum makes fun of him. And he uses that "fame" to earn money.

PS4 HW sales up almost triple in September and more than double my estimate. Fortunately, my report contained over 40 estimates, many closer

Source:

I am paid well because I am pretty accurate predicting earnings. I make a lot of mistakes that cancel one another out

Source:

I get paid to forecast earnings, not unit sales. It is one metric I use to estimate revenue, and if sum of my errors approximates zero, fine

Source:

riecsou said:

If you dont believe the charts, the leak and only waiting on official statement from Sony or MS then why bother  posting on the NPD thread for the past 9 months just to say you don't believe. ...

Yes, I realise how sad this is.

The noise in those threads is too big, too many console warriors, too much cheering, information is getting lost.

Month over month I´m losing more and more energy. I think you noticed that most  arguments (mine included) are circular.

I don´t like it, its not intelectual chalenging. 

Sad to see Horizon 2 not doing better :/

Blood_Tears said:
So I guess this means that FH2 didn't grow the franchise like others suggested. 120k combined is pretty low. I wonder what the breakdown is between X360 and X1. Since 360 owners are still satisfied with their console, maybe 70k + on 360?

Wasn't there a thread for a 300k opening and 2 million lifetime? Microsoft better get those Forza bundles ready again.

Well that was based on VGC's numbers, not really a suggestion.

Around the Network

Anyone got a link to aquamarines meltdown/defense of patcher?

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

daredevil.shark said:
It will be interesting to see 2015. It has the chance to be 2011 in terms awesome games. Plus we will be seeing $299 Xbox One (pretty much guaranteed) and probably $349 / $299 PS4 (depends). Price drop and good games will fuel console sales. So I think hardware sales will expand more in 2015.

2015 will make 2011 look like 2014 lmao. And yes, the market will grow massively with the magic price drops. Can you imagine what Ps4 September could have been at $299? It would have been ludicrous. I think X1 has a shot at $299 this year tbh, as a shocker move to try to get a win. I bet MS is really regretting the investment in kinect2 and tvtvtvhdmi now, or $299 would be easier to swallow.

Dark_Feanor said:
riecsou said:

Yes, I realise how sad this is.

The noise in those threads is too big, too many console warriors, too much cheering, information is getting lost.

Month over month I´m losing more and more energy. I think you noticed that most  arguments (mine included) are circular.

I don´t like it, its not intelectual chalenging. 

Personally, I find your posts and your seemingly relentless efforts kinda sad. I mean its so obvious and has been so consistent that its actually really disheartening. 

You selectively decide when to and what numbers from VGC to believe, then you also decide what numbers from NPD to take... usually, you only ever take or dismiss numbers that align with whatever point you are trying to make at the time. Sorry, who am I kidding? Your usual point of how PS4 isn't or hasn't sold as much as it has, the XB1 has sold more than it has and that sony are lying because they announced certain numbers or cause they didn't announce certain feats loud enough for you. You say sony would have screamed this or that to the rooftops, isn't them saying they sold three times more in september than they did the month before bragging enough?

Truth be told is that there is no point getting into weekly or monthly sale discussions with you, its redundant. For better or worse you need a much much much larger time base and margins. So I think the sane thing to do is to wait for like say 3 years when there is a lead that you cannot deny, dismiss or argue with anymore. 

I mean how do you argue with someone that only believes, values and is waiting for the one single metric that does not actually paint an accurate picture on sales simply cause its the only thing we don't get every month/week.

Nicklesbe said:
Anyone got a link to aquamarines meltdown/defense of patcher?

I dunno if it's available right now. Maybe she just placed an email tag on it only for the Gaffers to read.

jk

I don't get the animosity between gaf and vgc. We're not a monolithic group, nor are they. I would almost guarantee that a majority of us don't take vgc weekly numbers as gospel either, but they're still appreciated by many in an industry that plays it close to the vest. I have nothing against gaf at all, aren't we all fellow gamers who enjoy the news and excitement of it all? If you're a gaffer reading this, cheers and happy gaming :)