By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Driveclub Review Thread - Meta 74

I'm not really interested in racing games, but reading and listening to some of the reviews the main detractors seem to point to the game not offering anything relatively new to the genre. Which is always going to be a controversial point of game reviews, because not all games are held equal in this regard. Some titles-particularly yearly or established franchises- seem to be relatively immune to this form of criticism, offering nothing new, yet reviewers ignore that and still heap praise. While other games, particularly new IP's, are slammed for not re-inventing the wheel.

I'm not defending the Driveclub reviews, just pointing out an inequality that currently exists in the review format of many large review websites. Reviewers should be approaching each game in the same way, either criticize all titles for a lack of innovation, or not at all.

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
I'm not really interested in racing games, but reading and listening to some of the reviews the main detractors seem to point to the game not offering anything relatively new to the genre. Which is always going to be a controversial point of game reviews, because not all games are held equal in this regard. Some titles-particularly yearly or established franchises- seem to be relatively immune to this form of criticism, offering nothing new, yet reviewers ignore that and still heap praise. While other games, particularly new IP's, are slammed for not re-inventing the wheel.

I'm not defending the Driveclub reviews, just pointing out an inequality that currently exists in the review format of many large review websites. Reviewers should be approaching each game in the same way, either criticize all titles for a lack of innovation, or not at all.

Yeah. I don't get it either. So you love doing the same thing over and over agian. If you love the franchise. But don't, if it's new or changed direction game.

TheAdjustmentBureau said:
Goatseye said:

Driveclub trailer.

That line was actually with a question mark. Ps4's forza Killer?Sony took the question mark off and put it in trailer. Maybe forzas high reviews has been getting to Sony. Considering they now publicly are trying to beat forza.

This was a hilarious couple of posts!

@ Thread: This thread is such a mess. So much metacritic bitching, post pro and anti! The game has received a score that seems reasonable based on what we knew about the game. It was delayed, the majority of the press and previews had focussed on its graphical prowess, the reviews were embargoed until release date. It would have been nice had it been a surprise great game, and sad if it had been astoundingly bad.

As it is, it sounds like it has a little bit there for those who want to see it, and is forgettable for everyone else.

Like most games really.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

archer9234 said:
Dallinor said:

Yeah. I don't get it either. So you love doing the same thing over and over agian. If you love the franchise. But don't, if it's new or changed direction game.

With new consoles, people expect new ways to play and innovation. All new console games so far haven't brought anything new or revolutionary to the table (this is one of the reasons Destiny is seen as a huge disappointment).

This is expected really, new consoles always bring a lot of expectations from the players, when this aren't delivered, they get disappointed. Though this will slowly become 'less of a problem' as the generation develops more.

Nintendo and PC gamer

dane007 said:
todd2r said:
What is it now? 74 or 73? I predicted 73 in the prediction thread. I called it a solid yet shallow experience....and i was right. I feel bad for ps4 only owners. Its been a rough go.

73 is a bad score? lol Thats  still a good score . it means the game is great but not phenomenal. can't alays expect all games to get 8 and above.

A score in the lower 70s does not mean great. But I think its fair to interpret it as a good game with flaws.

The game seems kinda dull in my opinion. Probably won't be the best scoring racer on PS4 this year.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
binary solo said:
Vasto said:
And they said Driveclub is the Forza killer?

Who's they?

That is a great question. 

and isn't forza meant to be the GT killer? So why does PS need a killer to kill the thing that didn't kill the thing it was meant to kill?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

After playing it for a bit, the game is really fun once you get past the rookie cup. They are having problems with there servers as I can't connect. This game just doesn't feel like a sim, more like PGR. Love the tracks, they are beautiful.
Can't wait for the servers to go up, its an addicting game for some reason.

binary solo said:
Fusioncode said:
binary solo said:
Vasto said:

Who's they?

That is a great question. 

and isn't forza meant to be the GT killer? So why does PS need a killer to kill the thing that didn't kill the thing it was meant to kill?

Because Driveclub was never made with the intention to kill Forza?

TheAdjustmentBureau said:
Goatseye said:
binary solo said:
Vasto said:

Who's they?

Driveclub trailer.

That line was actually with a question mark. Ps4's forza Killer?Sony took the question mark off and put it in trailer. Maybe forzas high reviews has been getting to Sony. Considering they now publicly are trying to beat forza.

so in other words no one. Other than the wishful thinking of Sony's marketing department by misleadingly using a quote with no question mark. Actually if I was vg24/7 I would take action against Sony for false representation. That's really bad what they did there.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

VanceIX said:
SvennoJ said:
archer9234 said:
Kerotan said:
I love how driveclub is the first racing game which has been negatively reviewed by some sites for not being open world! I wonder what the agenda there is :D

Maybe people really want another burnout game? I sure do (I know it isn't made by the same people. )

Yep, I would love a new burnout game that's not open world. Burnout paradise was fun, but not that great for racing and crap for crash mode. With the open world I just ended up with a few standard routes since every race ended at 1 of 8 locations. Faster to leave the pack battling on their own streets and boost to the finish via a memorized 'detour'.

I dunno, Burnout without open world would seem kinda lackluster. Maybe have a better race system that is more closed off, while keeping the open world optional?

I thought Paradise was the worst in the series for high thrill racing. It was great for hanging around online doing challenges, but any other game in the series had superior tracks, variation and challenge. Closing of the courses doesn't really help with the flow of the race, and is still a poor substitute for the variation that racing around the world offers. Opening up new locations is half the fun of progressing through the campaign.

It's simply different genres filling different needs. I got the platinum for Burnout paradise, yet still prefer Burnout 3 Takedown for actual racing. Paradise soon started to feel like a giant todo list.

You could have several cities to race in perhaps. Midnight club used to have that. Have the thrill of separate locations, something real to unlock. Build these locations around a couple of well crafted oficial tracks, to learn inside out and compete on, while keeping the ability to do custom races. Best of both worlds.