By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed Unity is 900p/30fps on both PS4 & Xbox One 'to avoid all the debates and stuff'

the-pi-guy said:
walsufnir said:

On which CPU was the benchmark?

If they did their test right, the best CPU they have.  Here's the CPU benchmark, keep in mind that it's Ultra setting, and the game doesn't appear to really take advantage of all the cores.  Also, they did a bad thing and limited the CPU with the GPU.  There's other things they could've done to boost performance too.  

But the available 6-core Jaguar cores clocked at 1.6-1.75Ghz are barely faster than that AMD 5300 CPU in that bench. Having said that I wouldn't put too much weight on Ubisoft's ability to optimize games. Far Cry 3, Watch Dogs, AC, mosts of these titles ran like crap on even HD7970/680 and Core i7 3770K. If Ubisoft today made a game as good looking at Metro Last Light or Crysis 3, it would probably require a GPU and CPU from 2017 to run well. 

Around the Network
MRKs said:
Don't people play games for fun anymore? Since when the resolution and FPS was all that matter?

Ya, that is true. But if consoles start to cost more money over their timespan, and you pay less for AC Unity with better graphics on a PC, why in the world would you buy that game on PS4/XB1? You probably would think twice. You'd start to buy these games strictly on the PC and buying console exclusives on consoles. The main reason this doesn't happen is because some 10-18 year old kid may not have $700-1000 to drop on a new PC but since his parents already have a 50-65" TV, he only needs to spend $400 o a new console. The total cost of ownership over 8 years is never accounted for. This is understandable since it's a lot harder to save up $700-1000 upfront to start gaming for someone 10-18 vs. buying a PC and starting to recoup the costs over time. In Asia, Russia and Brazil, PC gaming is way  more popular than console gaming because hardly anyone spends $40-60 to buy console games there. These gamers are forced to consider the long-term costs of consoles due to lower average wages. In places like US/Canada, it's the opposite. People can easily afford $40-60 games once a month but they don't like the idea of spending $700-1000 upfront to save over the long-term. It's the same way why in most of the world people buy phones without contracts by paying upfront $700-1000 for a new phone and in US/Canada people love paying $0-200 down and then paying $60-70 monthly fees for 2-3 years. 

Here is how things are looking in other parts of the world (Central Asia) where PS4 games are going for  $50-70 while brand new on Steam:

1. Shadow of Mordor - $24.99 USD

2. AC Black Flags = $15.74 USD

3. Alien Isolation = $26.99 USD

4. NBA 2K15 = $29.99 USD

5. AC Unity = $38 USD

6. Far Cry 4 = $38 USD

7. Witcher 3 = $27 USD

8. Watch Dogs = $22

9. Metro 2033 Redux / Metro Last Light Redux = $15 each

10. F1 2014 = $25

The console equivalents are $50-70!

QuintonMcLeod said:
Kane1389 said:

Of course you cant. Superior RAM (without troublesome OS holding it back) together with a better optimization ( 1.84 Tflops on aconsole are vastly better than 1.84 Tflops on PC, so there goes your GPU comparisson) shit all over 'the PC' you are harping about here.

The ''PC'' in the video you posted doesnt even have a case lol and (quoting the video description) 'it can play games like Titanfall on high settings'. Big whopp, TF's graphicall fidelity is quite underwhelming and the fact that it can only play it on high settings, rather than ultra shows how underwhelimg it is. Especially considering PS4 can run games like Metro Last Light and KZ Shadowfall at 1080p 60fps which are graphically vastly superior to Titanfall

Do you even know what a teraflop is? Seems to me you're just using it as a buzzword to make it sound like you know what you're talking about.

I do know what they are, it's you that doesnt know shit about how consoles work and what are the perks of dedicated hardware. 

BlueFalcon said: 

Here is how things are looking in other parts of the world (Central Asia) where PS4 games are going for  $50-70 while brand new on Steam:

4. NBA 2K15 = $29.99 USD

5. AC Unity = $38 USD

6. Far Cry 4 = $38 USD

7. Witcher 3 = $27 USD

8. Watch Dogs = $22

10. F1 2014 = $25

Right, you cant find consoles games for anything cheaper than 70$ -_- Deals and low prices exist on PCs only. 

Kane1389 said:
BlueFalcon said: 

4. NBA 2K15 = $29.99 USD

5. AC Unity = $38 USD

6. Far Cry 4 = $38 USD

7. Witcher 3 = $27 USD

8. Watch Dogs = $22

10. F1 2014 = $25

Right, you cant find consoles games for anything cheaper than 70$ -_- Deals and low prices exist on PCs only. 

To be fair, I'm a PS4 owner and if Icould find any of them titles listed above for those prices, i'd be over the moon.  PC gaming does have a massive advantage price wise when it comes to software and there is just no way of arguing that fact.  If these were PSN only digital prices no one would complain about prices, at all.  

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

Around the Network
kristianity77 said:
Kane1389 said:
BlueFalcon said: 

4. NBA 2K15 = $29.99 USD

5. AC Unity = $38 USD

6. Far Cry 4 = $38 USD

7. Witcher 3 = $27 USD

8. Watch Dogs = $22

10. F1 2014 = $25

To be fair, I'm a PS4 owner and if Icould find any of them titles listed above for those prices, i'd be over the moon.  PC gaming does have a massive advantage price wise when it comes to software and there is just no way of arguing that fact.  If these were PSN only digital prices no one would complain about prices, at all.  

You can find them  on the internet for deals (check out tha gaf thread), or just buy pre owned games, which is another major advantige consoles have over PCs, no DRM bullshit. I have this slovenian guy that always finds new games for 40 euros or less on my PSN list

Kane1389 said:
kristianity77 said:
Kane1389 said:
BlueFalcon said: 

4. NBA 2K15 = $29.99 USD

5. AC Unity = $38 USD

6. Far Cry 4 = $38 USD

7. Witcher 3 = $27 USD

8. Watch Dogs = $22

10. F1 2014 = $25

You can find them  on the internet for deals (check out tha gaf thread), or just buy pre owned games, which is another major advantige consoles have over PCs, no DRM bullshit. I have this slovenian guy that always finds new games for 40 euros or less on my PSN list

Well I'm over in the UK but if anyone can do me Mordor for $28 right now, or Alien for $27 or indeed Far Cry 4 for £38 or Witcher 3 for $27 on their release dates for the PS4 they can have my money now lol

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

BlueFalcon said:

1. PC gaming is becoming more plug and play over time:

GeForce Experience/ AMD Raptr - You select the game and it lets you optimize the game settings for your GPU/rig. It can also download the latest drivers. With consoles you have to do updates all the time too; so what difference is there to install drivers on a PC?

Ok, so on consoles you also have to deal with things like PCU, swapping memory, swapping CPUs/GPUs and all the drivers you will need for any of those components in addition to the updates you will need for the OS and the games right? Yh... I see exactly how there is no difference. Starting your point having first attacked this obviously true fact about how console gaming will always be more plug and play than PC gaming kinda sets up the tone for the rest of your points... but lets see anyways.

2. Well, if you don't want to buy a used i7 4790K, you can just pay that now upfront. If you looked at the total cost of ownership, you can either take the larger hit in invetment now, or later when you upgrade. It doesn't change the argument that the total cost of ownership on PCs is often less than consoles. In fact, with the money saved on not buying cross-platorm games on consoles, but rather on the PC, I buy a console and its exclusives.

If being budget minded is what yu are trying to do then lets be buget minded. If saving money means that much to you, you could buy a used PS4 in say 2015 for as little as $200. Buy your games used from ebay or something like that and if you are willing to wait around 3-4 months after a games release you could be spending as little as $20-$35 per game. But you can still buy at least two or three of your games at full price if you feel you can't wait for them. Point is, if your primary reason for platform choice is/are saving.... there are also ways to be extremely thrisfy on consoles too.

3. No, it's not talking about 40 exclusives. When in the last 10 years did any console have 40 solid exclusives worth buying? PS2/PS3 never had that many exclusives worth buying. You'd be lucky to scrap 40 Amazing A+ exclusives across all of Xbox 360/Wii and PS3. As far as buying used games for console, PC games on sale are even cheaper ($5-10 for Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Dishonered, Hitman Absolution, GTA IV, Saints Row the Third the Full Package, Batman Arkham games, AC games, The Witcher 2, Metro games). If you start talking about buying used console games vs. PC games on sale at places like GOG, Steam, Origin, Humble Bundle, things get far worse for consoles as their cost of ownership just keeps rising even more.

Please read what I said again. I NEVER said that of the 40 games they are all exclusives. Rather I was saying that of the 40 AAA games 10-15 of them will be console exclusives. 

Don't forget that now when you buy an Intel CPU, AMD or NV GPU, you often get 2-3 free games. So over the next 7-8 years as you upgrade 2-3x with the money saved on console games, you'll get 4-9 free PC games. 

So lets see.... how much is the cost per upgrade? Fuck i, lets just put it at $300 for a CPU+GPU upgrade. Lets say over the next 7-8 years you do this twice (not even using the 3 times you mentioned in your point). So in 7-8 years you spend $600 on upgrades and get 4-9 free games. In 8 years I spend $400 on PS+ and I get 192 FREE GAMES. Shocking isn't it? Oh by the way, you could get deals and stuff where you can buy a yars worth of PS+ for as little as $35. Again you see why I say PC types have a way of selectively pushing their points and ignoring everything else. Cause nowhere on that chart did it point out that with PS+ for 8 years you would get 192 free games. And thats just for your PS4. You get 192 for the PS3 and PSV too.

I only buy consoles for single player exclusives and multiplayer games that friends play. Otherwise, every generation they become less and less relevant as PC becomes easier  to plug into your living room (Steam Big Picture), and PC parts last longer than ever (Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz from 2008 is still fast enough to pair with a GTX970), while GPUs continue to increase in speed 2X every 3 years. 

Good for you, but what you have just said is just your opinion, doesn't mean that evryone that doesn't agree with you should be dragged into these kinda arguments. Try this though, go and find 10 random 14 year olds and ask them about steam big picture and about the PS4. Lets see how many of them knows what.

Once 4K TVs / Monitors drop in price, in 2-3 years PCs will be gaming at PS5/XB2 level of details. Again, I am not saying consoles are not great - they are! But console gamers overestimate the cost of PC gaming and vastly underestimate the cost of console gaming. The best imo is to get both a PC and a console so that way you can save the most money on buying 95% of cross-platform titles on the PC and buy only console exclusives and some sports games / multiplayer with friends on consoles. If you only own a PC, you miss out on the best exclusives on consoles. If you only own consoles, you get inferior graphics in 95% of cross-platform titles while paying a lot more to get those games. Also, sooner or later those 500GB hard drives on original PS4/XB1 will be too full, forcing you to spend more $ to get a new 1-2 TB HDD. 

Hahah... you are doing the PC things again. when 4K becomes relevant, meaning that TV broadcasts are actually in 4K and then there is mainstram adoption of the tech, then yeah, we can start talkingabout 4K gaming consoles. And you talk about full harddrives like you can't delete what you don't use. You know teher are people still gaming on 60GB PS3s right? You PC people have this way of making options look like necessities. Like you guys just forget that people can "choose".

----

Even if you could buy a PS4/XB1 for $200 today, it's still cheaper to own a PC over 8 years and it gets cheaper the more games you buy. Why did this thread lead to get a PC? Because if you have a PC you wouldn't need to complain about 900/30 fps on consoles for cross-platform games. You'd get your Uncharted 4 and Last of Us Remastered, Destiny, Bloodbourne, etc. on PS4 and everything cross-platform for cheaper + better graphics on the PC. Then, it wouldn't matter if AC Unity ran at 640x480 at 15 fps on the PS4. That's why I really don't care about the performance of any cross-platform title on consoles -- and why would I? Why would I pay $60 for a game that runs worse in every way and looks worse? Consoles = exclusives, sports games, multiplayer with friends. PC = everything else. It's a win-win combination. Most console gamers just haven't realized this yet. And now with 970M being so fast in laptops, most kids going to college these days can game on their laptop over 4 years without having to bring a console into the dorms. 

Please read everything else I said. 

And once you have kids and a wife, you'll probably want some privacy from time to time - for this a desktop gaming PC at home is perfect. 

Replies in BOLD.

I am curious to know something though. Assuming you game a 60" 1080p HDTV. So basically you plug your PC to this TV. Now lets assume you have a $1500 rig but plug that to this 1080p TV so the higherst resolution you can get is 1080p. What I would like to know is that there you thing there is a $1100 boost in quality to the 1080p image you get from say a PS4 running the same game to that same TV. Just curious. Cause its almost as if PC gamers think everyone hase a 1440p or 4k monitor lying around in their homes. They forget that the display standard right now still happens to be 1080p.

Intrinsic said:
BlueFalcon said:

1. PC gaming is becoming more plug and play over time:

GeForce Experience/ AMD Raptr - You select the game and it lets you optimize the game settings for your GPU/rig. It can also download the latest drivers. With consoles you have to do updates all the time too; so what difference is there to install drivers on a PC?

Ok, so on consoles you also have to deal with things like PCU, swapping memory, swapping CPUs/GPUs and all the drivers you will need for any of those components in addition to the updates you will need for the OS and the games right? Yh... I see exactly how there is no difference. Starting your point having first attacked this obviously true fact about how console gaming will always be more plug and play than PC gaming kinda sets up the tone for the rest of your points... but lets see anyways.

2. Well, if you don't want to buy a used i7 4790K, you can just pay that now upfront. If you looked at the total cost of ownership, you can either take the larger hit in invetment now, or later when you upgrade. It doesn't change the argument that the total cost of ownership on PCs is often less than consoles. In fact, with the money saved on not buying cross-platorm games on consoles, but rather on the PC, I buy a console and its exclusives.

If being budget minded is what yu are trying to do then lets be buget minded. If saving money means that much to you, you could buy a used PS4 in say 2015 for as little as $200. Buy your games used from ebay or something like that and if you are willing to wait around 3-4 months after a games release you could be spending as little as $20-$35 per game. But you can still buy at least two or three of your games at full price if you feel you can't wait for them. Point is, if your primary reason for platform choice is/are saving.... there are also ways to be extremely thrisfy on consoles too.

3. No, it's not talking about 40 exclusives. When in the last 10 years did any console have 40 solid exclusives worth buying? PS2/PS3 never had that many exclusives worth buying. You'd be lucky to scrap 40 Amazing A+ exclusives across all of Xbox 360/Wii and PS3. As far as buying used games for console, PC games on sale are even cheaper ($5-10 for Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Dishonered, Hitman Absolution, GTA IV, Saints Row the Third the Full Package, Batman Arkham games, AC games, The Witcher 2, Metro games). If you start talking about buying used console games vs. PC games on sale at places like GOG, Steam, Origin, Humble Bundle, things get far worse for consoles as their cost of ownership just keeps rising even more.

Please read what I said again. I NEVER said that of the 40 games they are all exclusives. Rather I was saying that of the 40 AAA games 10-15 of them will be console exclusives. 

Don't forget that now when you buy an Intel CPU, AMD or NV GPU, you often get 2-3 free games. So over the next 7-8 years as you upgrade 2-3x with the money saved on console games, you'll get 4-9 free PC games. 

So lets see.... how much is the cost per upgrade? Fuck i, lets just put it at $300 for a CPU+GPU upgrade. Lets say over the next 7-8 years you do this twice (not even using the 3 times you mentioned in your point). So in 7-8 years you spend $600 on upgrades and get 4-9 free games. In 8 years I spend $400 on PS+ and I get 192 FREE GAMES. Shocking isn't it? Oh by the way, you could get deals and stuff where you can buy a yars worth of PS+ for as little as $35. Again you see why I say PC types have a way of selectively pushing their points and ignoring everything else. Cause nowhere on that chart did it point out that with PS+ for 8 years you would get 192 free games. And thats just for your PS4. You get 192 for the PS3 and PSV too.

I only buy consoles for single player exclusives and multiplayer games that friends play. Otherwise, every generation they become less and less relevant as PC becomes easier  to plug into your living room (Steam Big Picture), and PC parts last longer than ever (Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz from 2008 is still fast enough to pair with a GTX970), while GPUs continue to increase in speed 2X every 3 years. 

Good for you, but what you have just said is just your opinion, doesn't mean that evryone that doesn't agree with you should be dragged into these kinda arguments. Try this though, go and find 10 random 14 year olds and ask them about steam big picture and about the PS4. Lets see how many of them knows what.

Once 4K TVs / Monitors drop in price, in 2-3 years PCs will be gaming at PS5/XB2 level of details. Again, I am not saying consoles are not great - they are! But console gamers overestimate the cost of PC gaming and vastly underestimate the cost of console gaming. The best imo is to get both a PC and a console so that way you can save the most money on buying 95% of cross-platform titles on the PC and buy only console exclusives and some sports games / multiplayer with friends on consoles. If you only own a PC, you miss out on the best exclusives on consoles. If you only own consoles, you get inferior graphics in 95% of cross-platform titles while paying a lot more to get those games. Also, sooner or later those 500GB hard drives on original PS4/XB1 will be too full, forcing you to spend more $ to get a new 1-2 TB HDD. 

Hahah... you are doing the PC things again. when 4K becomes relevant, meaning that TV broadcasts are actually in 4K and then there is mainstram adoption of the tech, then yeah, we can start talkingabout 4K gaming consoles. And you talk about full harddrives like you can't delete what you don't use. You know teher are people still gaming on 60GB PS3s right? You PC people have this way of making options look like necessities. Like you guys just forget that people can "choose".

----

Even if you could buy a PS4/XB1 for $200 today, it's still cheaper to own a PC over 8 years and it gets cheaper the more games you buy. Why did this thread lead to get a PC? Because if you have a PC you wouldn't need to complain about 900/30 fps on consoles for cross-platform games. You'd get your Uncharted 4 and Last of Us Remastered, Destiny, Bloodbourne, etc. on PS4 and everything cross-platform for cheaper + better graphics on the PC. Then, it wouldn't matter if AC Unity ran at 640x480 at 15 fps on the PS4. That's why I really don't care about the performance of any cross-platform title on consoles -- and why would I? Why would I pay $60 for a game that runs worse in every way and looks worse? Consoles = exclusives, sports games, multiplayer with friends. PC = everything else. It's a win-win combination. Most console gamers just haven't realized this yet. And now with 970M being so fast in laptops, most kids going to college these days can game on their laptop over 4 years without having to bring a console into the dorms. 

Please read everything else I said. 

And once you have kids and a wife, you'll probably want some privacy from time to time - for this a desktop gaming PC at home is perfect. 

Replies in BOLD.

I am curious to know something though. Assuming you game a 60" 1080p HDTV. So basically you plug your PC to this TV. Now lets assume you have a $1500 rig but plug that to this 1080p TV so the higherst resolution you can get is 1080p. What I would like to know is that there you thing there is a $1100 boost in quality to the 1080p image you get from say a PS4 running the same game to that same TV. Just curious. Cause its almost as if PC gamers think everyone hase a 1440p or 4k monitor lying around in their homes. They forget that the display standard right now still happens to be 1080p.

The sad thing is that you have to sacrifice convenience just to match up with the price savings you'd receive on a PC. What's the point of buying a used PS4 in 2015 and waiting months to buy your games when you can build a PC _now_ and buy your games on release and experience the same savings?

Then you talk about 4k gaming as if it's not already here. Well, I've got news for you, buddy. It is here, and people are playing their games in it right now. 

QuintonMcLeod said:

The sad thing is that you have to sacrifice convenience just to match up with the price savings you'd receive on a PC. What's the point of buying a used PS4 in 2015 and waiting months to buy your games when you can build a PC _now_ and buy your games on release and experience the same savings?

Then you talk about 4k gaming as if it's not already here. Well, I've got news for you, buddy. It is here, and people are playing their games in it right now. 

The LIMITED adoption of 4k in gaming, TV, etc. is the point he is making.  Just because a small group (early adopters) of a small group (dedicated PC gamers) of a small group (gamers in general) are doing it does not mean that it is convenient for the largest of the small group (gamers).  You seem to think that because you do something the rest of the world will do it, should do it, or already is doing it.  Doesn't work that way.