By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed Unity is 900p/30fps on both PS4 & Xbox One 'to avoid all the debates and stuff'

QuintonMcLeod said:
Intrinsic said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
BlueFalcon said:

No doubt you can build a PC with a Pentium G3258 and R9 280 (~ 7950 @ 950mhz) and in 3-4 years drop a used i7 4790K in there and that will last another 3-4 years probably until PS6/XB2

And watch as everyone tries to tell you that you're wrong :/

1) True, but no one ever debated this.

2) First off, refurbished doesn't mean *used*. Second, no one mentioned anything about buying refurbished stuff 3 or 4 years into the PS4's life cycle. You're just arguing stuff no one said.

3) You seem to be less knowledgable on this topic. Mostly all AAA games that are released as multiplatform titles are release as $50 dollar games as opposed to $60 on the PC. Just take a look at Shadow of Mordor, Alien Isolation and the Borderlands Prequel on Steam if you don't believe me.

You can buy used games on consoles, this is true. However, some times the games are more expensive used than they are new (I.E. Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc.). To be fair, even on multiplatform titles, many times they are only 3 - 5 dollars cheaper than getting them brand new. With that said, you'd still be paying more money. Lets not forget tax (I don't pay tax when I buy my games on Steam).

Your last paragraph assumes that we're arguing points in which no one ever mentioned by you, and also assumes that half of what you said above is true, and it's not. So, no need for me to reply to it.

2) Please, look at the part of thequote I bolded out. I think its clearly said there buying something used? Unless you want to say I put that in myself. maybe you should have properly read what he said before supporting him. So how am I arguing off stuff no one said? And used..refurbished? Please, all semantics. Basically the point of that line of thought is that you do not purchase at full price or at cost of brand new. Just saying that that same approcah goes both ways.

3) Less knowlegebale because I am not quoting exact prices? Mind you, I sued the $40 figure cause that was the number that has so far been thrown around in this very thread. Hell there was even a chart or something brought up showing the cost of PC gaming blah blah blah. But thanks for further helping me prove my point. The guys here that come on championing PC this and PC that seem to conveninetly ignore a lot of things and make their comparisons based off extremes that are usually even mutually applicable to all platforms concerned.

Honestly, this is exactly why I hate getting into these discussions with PC typs. As I said, they act in very strange ways. You are practically making me out to be a liar or something when on this very page you can see every refernce to which I am talking about. Just scroll up for crying out loud. One you will see the quote that I bolded out that made the reference to used parts and two you will see a chart that listed PC games as $40. But when I say it I am fabricating shit lol....

Around the Network

Just wondering what all these PC vs Console costs have got to do with the original thread.....

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

the-pi-guy said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

But that's the thing. No one said the games were $40 bucks but him. I argued they were $50 by showing the PC vs Console Price chart. So, I figured I'd just say $50. However, no one is debating the whole $40 dollar thing. No one.

This said 40$

It should be $50, but oh well. This chart was created by Gamespot. Although it may have the exact pricing of games incorrect by 10 bucks on new releases, it does give a good idea on PC pricing. Truth be told, PC games are still cheaper, which was the point.

Intrinsic said:

2) Please, look at the part of thequote I bolded out. I think its clearly said there buying something used? Unless you want to say I put that in myself. maybe you should have properly read what he said before supporting him. So how am I arguing off stuff no one said? And used..refurbished? Please, all semantics. Basically the point of that line of thought is that you do not purchase at full price or at cost of brand new. Just saying that that same approcah goes both ways.

3) Less knowlegebale because I am not quoting exact prices? Mind you, I sued the $40 figure cause that was the number that has so far been thrown around in this very thread. Hell there was even a chart or something brought up showing the cost of PC gaming blah blah blah. But thanks for further helping me prove my point. The guys here that come on championing PC this and PC that seem to conveninetly ignore a lot of things and make their comparisons based off extremes that are usually even mutually applicable to all platforms concerned.

Honestly, this is exactly why I hate getting into these discussions with PC typs. As I said, they act in very strange ways. You are practically making me out to be a liar or something when on this very page you can see every refernce to which I am talking about. Just scroll up for crying out loud. One you will see the quote that I bolded out that made the reference to used parts and two you will see a chart that listed PC games as $40. But when I say it I am fabricating shit lol....

2) So, now you're blaming other people for what you said? Interesting.

3) $40 dollars is wrong. $50 dollars is more correct, and its still cheaper than new releases for the console. That was the point I was making. It's cheaper. Your point was that it's all the same. You're still wrong.

I'm not saying you're a liar. I'm saying you don't have all the facts. Plus, you use weird logic.

the-pi-guy said:
Madword said:
Just wondering what all these PC vs Console costs have got to do with the original thread.....

Topic -> "If graphics were so important, get a PC" -> "Here's why you would want a PC" -> "Here's why you don't want a PC" -> "Nah bro, you really want a PC" -> *several off topics later* ->"Some people don't want a PC for these reasons" ->  "But PC!!!!"

Lol..

Yeah but the"If graphics were so important get a PC" has nothing to do with the original thread which is "To avoid all debates and stuff"...

Oh well... I am going back to me computer to do work... this whole PC vs Console argument is just stupid anyway @_@

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
QuintonMcLeod said:
Intrinsic said:

3) $40 dollars is wrong. $50 dollars is more correct, and its still cheaper than new releases for the console. That was the point I was making. It's cheaper. Your point was that it's all the same. You're still wrong.

I'm not saying you're a liar. I'm saying you don't have all the facts. Plus, you use weird logic.

OMG.....

Ok. I am just gonna shut up now and walk away. I am completely shocked. Like damn.... I just hope someone else here can see this and see how crazy what you are saying is, that way I at least know I have not completely lost my mind.

Intrinsic said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
Intrinsic said:

OMG.....

Ok. I am just gonna shut up now and walk away. I am completely shocked. Like damn.... I just hope someone else here can see this and see how crazy what you are saying is, that way I at least know I have not completely lost my mind.

Okay... 

What did I say that's driving you insane?

QuintonMcLeod said:
Intrinsic said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

OMG.....

Okay... 

I think it is quite wise for him to back out of this. I haven't seen a single occurence on these forums where arguing with you achieved anything constructive.

Hynad said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
Intrinsic said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

OMG.....

Okay... 

I think it is quite wise for him to back out of this. I haven't seen a single occurence on these forums where arguing with you achieved anything constructive.

Has there ever been a time which talking on a message forum has ever been constructive?

Intrinsic said:
  • Console gaming is always going to be more straightforward than PC gaming. I hope we can all at least agree on this. No, don't say or think that cause you can everyone can or that everyone likes the idea of tinkering with parts and components and drivers. Console gaming will always be more plug and play than PC gaming.
  • But lets forget that and delve into this part swapping theory of yours. So basically you are talking about buying used parts and swapping them with what you ahve at periodical intervals. By your estimates you are talking about putting in a $300+ GPU three to 4  years later for instance that will give you 4-5 times the performance of what you have in a PS4. Cool, no argument there. But this is where the PC gamer logic baffles me. Are PCs the only place you can find used parts? How much will a used PS4 cost in 3 years time?So what if at that time you could also get a used PS4 for $170?
  • then this talk about saving money and buying 40 games at $40 and 60. Come on, lets be honest here.... how many AAA games are released on PC each year that have that $40 asking price to begin with? Do you guys realize that 15-20 of those 40 console games you mention are exclusives? And lastly, if you are smart enough to know that games on PCs are cheaper... you have to also be smart enough to know that its possible to buy games used on consoles right?

1. PC gaming is becoming more plug and play over time:

GeForce Experience/ AMD Raptr - You select the game and it lets you optimize the game settings for your GPU/rig. It can also download the latest drivers. With consoles you have to do updates all the time too; so what difference is there to install drivers on a PC?

2. Well, if you don't want to buy a used i7 4790K, you can just pay that now upfront. If you looked at the total cost of ownership, you can either take the larger hit in invetment now, or later when you upgrade. It doesn't change the argument that the total cost of ownership on PCs is often less than consoles. In fact, with the money saved on not buying cross-platorm games on consoles, but rather on the PC, I buy a console and its exclusives.

3. No, it's not talking about 40 exclusives. When in the last 10 years did any console have 40 solid exclusives worth buying? PS2/PS3 never had that many exclusives worth buying. You'd be lucky to scrap 40 Amazing A+ exclusives across all of Xbox 360/Wii and PS3. As far as buying used games for console, PC games on sale are even cheaper ($5-10 for Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Dishonered, Hitman Absolution, GTA IV, Saints Row the Third the Full Package, Batman Arkham games, AC games, The Witcher 2, Metro games). If you start talking about buying used console games vs. PC games on sale at places like GOG, Steam, Origin, Humble Bundle, things get far worse for consoles as their cost of ownership just keeps rising even more.

Don't forget that now when you buy an Intel CPU, AMD or NV GPU, you often get 2-3 free games. So over the next 7-8 years as you upgrade 2-3x with the money saved on console games, you'll get 4-9 free PC games. 

I only buy consoles for single player exclusives and multiplayer games that friends play. Otherwise, every generation they become less and less relevant as PC becomes easier  to plug into your living room (Steam Big Picture), and PC parts last longer than ever (Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz from 2008 is still fast enough to pair with a GTX970), while GPUs continue to increase in speed 2X every 3 years. 

Once 4K TVs / Monitors drop in price, in 2-3 years PCs will be gaming at PS5/XB2 level of details. Again, I am not saying consoles are not great - they are! But console gamers overestimate the cost of PC gaming and vastly underestimate the cost of console gaming. The best imo is to get both a PC and a console so that way you can save the most money on buying 95% of cross-platform titles on the PC and buy only console exclusives and some sports games / multiplayer with friends on consoles. If you only own a PC, you miss out on the best exclusives on consoles. If you only own consoles, you get inferior graphics in 95% of cross-platform titles while paying a lot more to get those games. Also, sooner or later those 500GB hard drives on original PS4/XB1 will be too full, forcing you to spend more $ to get a new 1-2 TB HDD. 

----

Even if you could buy a PS4/XB1 for $200 today, it's still cheaper to own a PC over 8 years and it gets cheaper the more games you buy. Why did this thread lead to get a PC? Because if you have a PC you wouldn't need to complain about 900/30 fps on consoles for cross-platform games. You'd get your Uncharted 4 and Last of Us Remastered, Destiny, Bloodbourne, etc. on PS4 and everything cross-platform for cheaper + better graphics on the PC. Then, it wouldn't matter if AC Unity ran at 640x480 at 15 fps on the PS4. That's why I really don't care about the performance of any cross-platform title on consoles -- and why would I? Why would I pay $60 for a game that runs worse in every way and looks worse? Consoles = exclusives, sports games, multiplayer with friends. PC = everything else. It's a win-win combination. Most console gamers just haven't realized this yet. And now with 970M being so fast in laptops, most kids going to college these days can game on their laptop over 4 years without having to bring a console into the dorms. 

And once you have kids and a wife, you'll probably want some privacy from time to time - for this a desktop gaming PC at home is perfect.