By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I've a good way to estimate digital sales on consoles!

Blob said:
benji232 said:
Kerotan said:
benji232 said:

@bolded is the reason why this is NOT a good way to estimate digital sales. 

what are the official download numbers for second son? enlighten us please. 

If you really think that a game that sold 1.7m retail copies has sold over 500k digitally, then I don't know what to tell you honnestly. Sorry.

I think the % of digital downloads that people on Vgchartz seem to throw around is often grossly overstated. Who are these people downloading 30-40gb games to their tiny hard drives regulalarly? In some countries id imagine that digital download is also pretty much non existent this gen when you also take into account internet speeds...

On PS4 the size of the hard disk does not matter much because games are almost fully installed on the hard disk even for retail discs.

Around the Network

its not :D
because u can rate a game without purchase it digital

arcade games like minecraft have much bigger digital attach rates

watch_dogs sold ~10% on current gen digitally
slightly more to 11% on xb1
slightly more to 10% on ps4

10% is still a good estimate for normal AAA games

prinz_valium said:

You can rate a game on PSN only if you have bought it digitally.

GTAexpert said:
prinz_valium said:

okay sorry. thought its the same like live

but this is still not a good way to make any guestimate on digital attach rate :D

prinz_valium said:
GTAexpert said:
prinz_valium said:

okay sorry. thought its the same like live

but this is still not a good way to make any guestimate on digital attach rate :D

Not very precise, but it gives a good basis. I'm sure for games which have PSN exclusive editions/better price on PSN, the attach rates are far better than 10%. Like it will be for Driveclub.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

Came across this ages ago but only signed up recently so never got to say it. 

You can look that numbers up but a few months back Minecraft announced how many digital copies they'd sold on the PS3 store. It sounded like a lot so I went onto the site and checked the number of ratings it had. It worked out that for every 50 people that bought it (roughly) 1 of them rated it. 

This is only 1 game but if you matched up officail numbers for known games and checked their ratings I'm sure we could find a god average. 

The likes of infamous second son have 10k ratings on the store so would it make sense if that game had 500k downloads? Anyway this IMO is our best way to estimate digital sales for a game. 

Destiny PS4 has around 6k ratings I think so that prob has a good 300k digital copies sold. 

Actually that kinda sounds accuarate...

GTAexpert said:

Not very precise, but it gives a good basis. I'm sure for games which have PSN exclusive editions/better price on PSN, the attach rates are far better than 10%. Like it will be for Driveclub.

sure. yes

like i said for cheap arcade games like minecraft etc

but infamous:ss as example is an open world offline singel player game.

so i highly doubt its over 10%. maybe even below

i would give destiny 12 - 13 %

Blob said:
benji232 said:
Kerotan said:
benji232 said:

@bolded is the reason why this is NOT a good way to estimate digital sales. 

what are the official download numbers for second son? enlighten us please. 

If you really think that a game that sold 1.7m retail copies has sold over 500k digitally, then I don't know what to tell you honnestly. Sorry.

I think the % of digital downloads that people on Vgchartz seem to throw around is often grossly overstated. Who are these people downloading 30-40gb games to their tiny hard drives regulalarly? In some countries id imagine that digital download is also pretty much non existent this gen when you also take into account internet speeds...

There are far more buying digitally than you think.  A PS4 can hold at least 10 of these games (Not all of them are over 25GB).  And once you are done with it, you can just delete it and download a new one.

Yeah. It isn't good. Not just because it's a estimation. How many people actually rate a game. I've got hundreds of games. I never rate them on PSN, e-shop etc. It's a waste of time to me. The companies need to stop sucking and release the sale figures. Other than that. We're in the black.

prinz_valium said:
GTAexpert said:

sure. yes

like i said for cheap arcade games like minecraft etc

but infamous:ss as example is an open world offline singel player game.

so i highly doubt its over 10%. maybe even below

i would give destiny 12 - 13 %

Infamous: Second Son has over 30k ratings on PSN last time I checked, so its digital sales are likely much more than that. Besides it had a PSN exclusive edition as well.