By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retro games you're currently playing? (6th generation and lower).

Tagged games:

I've recently completed Mega Man 2 finally for the first time ever. On my NES, with the original cartridge. Needless to say, great game, but I knew that already.

I'm also occasionally playing either Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3 on my SNES recently. I have the All-Stars + Mario World cartridge so that's convenient.

I have been consistently playing a couple games on PC for a long time now though. I've been playing Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, SimCity 4 and Anno 1602 ever since they were released over a decade ago. I'd consider those 6th and 5th gen games respectively.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

I've been wondering, how do people count these generation? I only get up to 6.

1.) Nes/Master System
2.) Snes/Megadrive (Genesis)
3.) PlayStation/Saturn/N64/
4.) PlayStation 2/GameCube/Xbox/Dreamcast
5.) PlayStation 3/Xbox360/Wii
6.) PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Wii U

Do people count back to before NES? (Atari, etc?)

Yes, it's generally agreed upon that there's two generations before the NES era (which makes the NES era the 3rd Gen), the one with the Atari 2600 and it's many competitors and the first one with only Pong consoles. I even have systems from those early generations, and considering the giant differences I wouldn't want to count them together with my NES in one generation .

Hiku said:

I've been wondering, how do people count these generation? I only get up to 6.

1.) Nes/Master System
2.) Snes/Megadrive (Genesis)
3.) PlayStation/Saturn/N64/
4.) PlayStation 2/GameCube/Xbox/Dreamcast
5.) PlayStation 3/Xbox360/Wii
6.) PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Wii U

Do people count back to before NES? (Atari, etc?)

Yes.  The NES generation is actually the third generation.  The Magnavox Odyssey was considered part of the first gen, and the Atari 2600 part of the second gen.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Master Quest
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

I see. I've tried one of the Atari's, but I wasn't aware that there was another generation besides the one that one was in.

I've been playing some Star Wars: Dark Forces. It's a DOS game, and I'm having a lot of fun. Makes me wish for a brand new fps on the style for those more oldschool FPS (though adapted for modern times obviously). I plan to start either Wild Arms or Dragon Quest 3 when I have the time.

Around the Network

All Stars version of Mario 3.

Baldur's Gate, Majesty, Deus Ex, Might & Magic 8, Titan Quest, Age of Wonders, Theme Park, Dungeon Siege, to name a few! And it's about time for my yearly playthrough of Betrayal at Krondor as well!

I love retro games, sites like GOG have changed everything for me in this regard.

Updated! Playing Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) soon, after I finish Hyrule Warriors...

LoZ: A Link Between Worlds.

Seriously though, I still pop in a few GC games every now and then such as SSB Melee, Timesplitters 2 and F-Zero GX, as well as hook up my older consoles once in a blue moon for retro gaming night with peeps.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Kirby's Dream Land 3 and LoZ: Oracle of Seasons (just finished Ages a couple months ago)