By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Intel Pulls Advertising from Gamasutra over #Gamergate

I don't think this is related directly to the gamergate, Zoe or femminism.

This is related directly to the articles many "video game journalists" wrote about how gamers are dead and are no longer important, and how gamers are losers and nerds. Those articles did happen because of the gamergate.
This article by Leigh Alexander ended up costing Gamasutra a lot of money.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224400/Gamers_dont_have_to_be_your_audience_Gamers_are_over.php

This is absolute common sense. Videogames are a hobby like cars, train modeling or fishing. A company dedicated to that will not give money to people who think car fans are despicable idiots, like Leigh Alexander thinks of gamers.

Around the Network

Come on, now none gaming companies are being criticized now?

sidmeiernintifan said:

This is related directly to the articles many "video game journalists" wrote about how gamers are dead and are no longer important, and how gamers are losers and nerds. Those articles did happen because of the gamergate.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224400/Gamers_dont_have_to_be_your_audience_Gamers_are_over.php

This is absolute common sense. Videogames are a hobby like cars, train modeling or fishing. A company dedicated to that will not give money to people who think car fans are despicable idiots, like Leigh Alexander thinks of gamers.

Thankfully, unlike Leigh Alexander, most games developers and companies know that the internet has and always will be a bastion for anonymous trolls.  And that the proper recourse is to ignore those idiots, or publicly shame them if possible (or when necessary, involve the police).  The improper recourse is to bury the overarching issue of journalistic integrity, because of an issue rampant in every aspect of the internet.  I think it's kind of despicable to throw all gamer's under the bus, just because...trolls and hatefilled schills.  Since when, in any other topic of discussion, do we actually care what those people say?

It's not just games, it's every freakin topic.  You will find people who are either genuinely awful, or simply shock trolling.  Paying them lip service is the dumbest thing you can do.  So, why is it impossible to have a discussion about journalistic integrity AND women's rights?  And I think, quite frankly, the answer is journalists don't want true research going into their shady shit, so they shift the focus elsewhere.  Easy pickens.  Imagine how many articles about racism, sexism, bigotry, etc... you could make, if the only comments you ever read were the trolls/haters?

mornelithe said:
sidmeiernintifan said:

Thankfully, unlike Leigh Alexander, most games developers and companies know that the internet has and always will be a bastion for anonymous trolls.  And that the proper recourse is to ignore those idiots, or publicly shame them if possible (or when necessary, involve the police).  The improper recourse is to bury the overarching issue of journalistic integrity, because of an issue rampant in every aspect of the internet.  I think it's kind of despicable to throw all gamer's under the bus, just because...trolls and hatefilled schills.  Since when, in any other topic of discussion, do we actually care what those people say?

It's not just games, it's every freakin topic.  You will find people who are either genuinely awful, or simply shock trolling.  Paying them lip service is the dumbest thing you can do.

In my opinion the issue here is that many game journalists work as game journalists because they couldn't get another job.

They are often people with a background in literature, like English majors, and wish videogames were more like HBO tv shows than like games, that way they would be less ashamed of their job. They want videogames to be a "respectable" art form, and mainly a storytelling medium.

These are the same people who call The Last of Us the Citizen Kane of videogames, when it has no new gameplay ideas. They would never recognize Doom, Street Fighter II or Super Mario Bros as "The Citizen Kane" of videogames.

These writers are ashamed of the people they write for basically.

sidmeiernintifan said:

She doesn't really think a lot of her fellow gaemz jurnalistz, either:

Here are some ways you can spot a game journalist: Out of fashion, out of shape. I don’t really mean physically — I mean you distinctly realize you are looking at people who definitely don’t fit into the world easy. There is often a hesitant, performative body language. You’ll be struck by the contrast between the apparent age of the person’s face, or their thinning hair, and the fact they’re wearing sloppy, brightly-colored sneakers. Someone always is wearing a tight plaid shirt. Someone is always wearing a fucking Zelda t-shirt. The longer I do this kind of thing the more unsettling I find it, the huge gulf between a game person’s apparent age and the child-like way in which they carry themselves.

It's pretty funny how much of her so-called commentary boils down to calling every adult male gamer a basement dwelling man-child... when she's a woman firmly entrenched in her 30s who still lives at home and sponges off her father because she blogs about video games in lieu of getting a real job. Leigh is incredibly condescending for someone who doesn't deserve to be, and I think it's precisely because she embodies everything she hates about gamers.

Around the Network
sidmeiernintifan said:

In my opinion the issue here is that many game journalists work as game journalists because they couldn't get another job.

They are often people with a background in literature, like English majors, and wish videogames were more like HBO tv shows than like games, that way they would be less ashamed of their job. They want videogames to be a "respectable" art form, and mainly a storytelling medium.

These are the same people who call The Last of Us the Citizen Kane of videogames, when it has no new gameplay ideas. They would never recognize Doom, Street Fighter II or Super Mario Bros as "The Citizen Kane" of videogames.

Quite true, I would imagine most internet 'journalists' nowadays, don't even have a degree in journalism.  Which is why the profession has become a laughing stock.  It's sad.  But, I guess the best recourse is to do your own research, and let games journalists rot.

Feminism is a plague upon humanity. How something about societal morality can be twisted into biological makeup appalls me.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

badgenome said:

She doesn't really think a lot of her fellow gaemz jurnalistz, either:

Here are some ways you can spot a game journalist: Out of fashion, out of shape. I don’t really mean physically — I mean you distinctly realize you are looking at people who definitely don’t fit into the world easy. There is often a hesitant, performative body language. You’ll be struck by the contrast between the apparent age of the person’s face, or their thinning hair, and the fact they’re wearing sloppy, brightly-colored sneakers. Someone always is wearing a tight plaid shirt. Someone is always wearing a fucking Zelda t-shirt. The longer I do this kind of thing the more unsettling I find it, the huge gulf between a game person’s apparent age and the child-like way in which they carry themselves.

It's pretty funny how much of her so-called commentary boils down to calling every adult male gamer a basement dwelling man-child... when she's a woman firmly entrenched in her 30s who still lives at home and sponges off her father because she blogs about video games in lieu of getting a real job. Leigh is incredibly condescending for someone who doesn't deserve to be, and I think it's precisely because she embodies everything she hates about gamers.

Such a disgruntled human being.  It's kind of sad, really.  It makes me think she's a failed hipster who had to retreat back to her own kind.

Nevermind the sillyness of the whole mass generalization thing she likes to do.  She picks out the most hardcore and obsessive 'gamers', then holds them up as representing the entirity of the species.  That's face-palm-worthy. 

Still, though, what was her editor thinking?  Why would you publish an "I hate you all" tantrum?

Good for Intel. I'm so goddamn sick of this social justice bullshit plaguing my favorite hobby, and having every other article that comes out of mainstream gaming "journalism" condemning, shaming, and ridiculing the very gamers who keep these people in business. Maybe someone should tell these dummies that it's probably not a smart business decision to bite the hand that feeds you...

Between the social justice warriors/feminists taking over and tainting gaming media, and the uninspired, overpriced garbage that comes out that passes for "hardcore gaming" these days, I'm beginning to wish for another industry crash and complete reset, similar to the Atari crash of the early 80s... The games industry is in dire need of a fresh start.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

sidmeiernintifan said:

I don't think that is even remotely close to being true. As Jim Sterling said, most people in the game industry are just gamers who were lucky enough to be able to make some money talking about games. I don't know about you, but I would love to be paid to play games and hang out with gaming industry folks. I think you are deflecting just as much as a lot of gaming industry folks are...

While I do think there needs to be reform (in the direction of open-ness and accountability), I don't think there is any mass conspiracy or that gaming media are inherently evil. They are just gamers, and I've seen plenty of gamers say stupid stuff, it just wasn't thrown on the front page of a major game site.