By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo hates money and these four games prove it

EricFabian said:
the_dengle said:
EricFabian said:
the_dengle said:
If I knew I'd have to read the phrase "Pokemon MMO" again I wouldn't even have clicked the link.

Pokemon is already a massive online multiplayer game.

I think is Wii U Pokemon MMO

I know what they mean. Everyone means the same thing. Doesn't make it accurate, or smart.

Also, I would almost guarantee that a new Pokemon Snap (by virtue of having 'Pokemon' in its title) would make more money than a new Metroid game.

don't like the idea of Wii U Pokemon? [not a Snap I mean]

its pointless to nintendo as pokemon sells the handhelds and costs less to make on them. 

Around the Network

Nintendo could've went the "Skylanders" route with Pokemon. I don't think the Amiibo thing is going to take off, especially since this is Nintendo we're talking about and we all know how they over promise and underdeliver on stuff like this.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I would love a Pokemon RPG on a home console. A full-fledged, entirely realized world in the same vein as the handheld games, in complete first/third person 3D.

But ultimately whilst I would instantly purchase a Nintendo home console for just this game (assuming a quality and longevity similar to the handheld games), I understand that Nintendo has other considerations. As some have pointed out, Pokemon is one of the biggest sellers of Nintendo's (profitable) handhelds. Could Pokemon sell handhelds AND home consoles simultaneously? Quite possibly. But I understand why they don't want to risk it.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

EricFabian said:

don't like the idea of Wii U Pokemon? [not a Snap I mean]

I don't see the point. It would be cool if you could play your game on a big screen (like the gameboy player or transfer pak with Stadium allowed). But Pokemon is designed for handhelds, and there's nothing you could do with the main installments on console that you couldn't do on a handheld.

When I think about what Pokemon can be on consoles, I think of the old battle simulators like the Stadium games. We don't need those any more; they were a novelty because the Pokemon had 3D models, but now they have 3D models in the main games (models which are far superior to the original Stadium models on N64). The RPGs belong on handhelds first and foremost. I see the future of Pokemon on home consoles when I look at Pokken. Snap could make a comeback, I could see that working well on console or on handheld.

When people start describing all these things Pokemon could be on a home console that it can't be on a handheld, they stop describing Pokemon. They start describing WOW or Skyrim with a different coat of paint. That's all good and fine, as Pokken is obviously Tekken with a different coat of paint, Pokemon Conquest was obviously Nobunaga's Ambition with a different coat of paint, etc. But that's just it, a big console Pokemon RPG would essentially be a spin-off. People expect GameFreak to completely throw out all of their work on Pokemon over the past 20 years and start from scratch, making brand new battle mechanics, brand new models for all 700+ Pokemon (over 800 when taking forms into consideration) plus all of the trainer models.

This would be an absurdly massive project (it would have to be massive by nature in order to be impossible to make on handhelds). People think it would sell so well that Nintendo would make all of the money spent on it back instantly, but I don't buy it. The market for Pokemon is on handhelds. The internet has a habit of convincing itself that things are more popular than they actually are (such as convincing themselves that Metroid is some kind of juggernaut franchise comparable to Zelda, or that Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game and a remake would obviously sell gangbusters).

I believe this is one of those cases -- the internet has convinced itself that the majority of the Pokemon fanbase (which is at least 50% children) really would rather play a completely different game on a completely different console than the one they're already buying, and that there is some kind of enormous market of non-Pokemon players who would suddenly jump right into the series once it comes to consoles, because it's the gameplay and platform preventing the average college-aged gamer from taking the plunge into Pokemon, and not the world or the art style or the fact that it's Pokemon.

Metroid - Never has been a big seller like Mario or Pokemon but i'd say it would sell a modest 1 to 2 million.

Pokemon Snap - Now a reboot of a cult classic which the gamepad is perfect for with the Pokemon name would move some uints.

Mario and Sonic Platformer Crossover - Would have to be done purely by Nintendo without Sega's involvement as they tend to make bad choices when it comes to Sonic.

Pokemon MMO - No comment as i am both apposed to the idea and against.

Around the Network

Metroid - isn't a big seller. Maybe good system seller but the Prime series is a hard sell nowadays compared to the Halos and CoDs and such. W/o a solid online, it is doomed. As a sidescroller, it's better suited for 3DS since that's a software seller unless incredible

Pokemon Snap - Could move a lot of units but there's a reason the original didn't have all 150. It's just too much work to have the Pokemon behave naturally and create HD models

Mario & Sonic Crossover - Anyone with a reasonable sense of Game Design can see how bad this idea is. The 2 have conflicting views on platforming. Sonic is largely Spectacle whereas Mario is more driven in Simple and more gamey platforming. The two conflict easily

Pokemon MMO- fairly redundant. I would love a lobby feature in a future Pokemon so your friends can join in your Pokemon game but beyond that is unnecessary

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

starcraft said:
I would love a Pokemon RPG on a home console. A full-fledged, entirely realized world in the same vein as the handheld games, in complete first/third person 3D.

But ultimately whilst I would instantly purchase a Nintendo home console for just this game (assuming a quality and longevity similar to the handheld games), I understand that Nintendo has other considerations. As some have pointed out, Pokemon is one of the biggest sellers of Nintendo's (profitable) handhelds. Could Pokemon sell handhelds AND home consoles simultaneously? Quite possibly. But I understand why they don't want to risk it.

However, shouldn't they at least try to widen their spread to one game for the home console? Imagine your pokemon in beautifully gorgeous HD with all it's glory. Nintendo should definitely take a risk with it. Pokemon is way too big not too. I know, in the same breath, it's because it's too big that it's too risky.

I'm just saying Nintendo will pull even more people into the crowd with this one. Make a shared account between the 3DS and Wii U and go from there. This is spelling WIN for Nintendo in my eyes. However, I don't know the first thing about how to run a business....let alone a multi million/billion dollar franchise.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

the_dengle said:

I don't see the point. It would be cool if you could play your game on a big screen (like the gameboy player or transfer pak with Stadium allowed). But Pokemon is designed for handhelds, and there's nothing you could do with the main installments on console that you couldn't do on a handheld.

When I think about what Pokemon can be on consoles, I think of the old battle simulators like the Stadium games. We don't need those any more; they were a novelty because the Pokemon had 3D models, but now they have 3D models in the main games (models which are far superior to the original Stadium models on N64). The RPGs belong on handhelds first and foremost. I see the future of Pokemon on home consoles when I look at Pokken. Snap could make a comeback, I could see that working well on console or on handheld.

When people start describing all these things Pokemon could be on a home console that it can't be on a handheld, they stop describing Pokemon. They start describing WOW or Skyrim with a different coat of paint. That's all good and fine, as Pokken is obviously Tekken with a different coat of paint, Pokemon Conquest was obviously Nobunaga's Ambition with a different coat of paint, etc. But that's just it, a big console Pokemon RPG would essentially be a spin-off. People expect GameFreak to completely throw out all of their work on Pokemon over the past 20 years and start from scratch, making brand new battle mechanics, brand new models for all 700+ Pokemon (over 800 when taking forms into consideration) plus all of the trainer models.

This would be an absurdly massive project (it would have to be massive by nature in order to be impossible to make on handhelds). People think it would sell so well that Nintendo would make all of the money spent on it back instantly, but I don't buy it. The market for Pokemon is on handhelds. The internet has a habit of convincing itself that things are more popular than they actually are (such as convincing themselves that Metroid is some kind of juggernaut franchise comparable to Zelda, or that Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game and a remake would obviously sell gangbusters).

I believe this is one of those cases -- the internet has convinced itself that the majority of the Pokemon fanbase (which is at least 50% children) really would rather play a completely different game on a completely different console than the one they're already buying, and that there is some kind of enormous market of non-Pokemon players who would suddenly jump right into the series once it comes to consoles, because it's the gameplay and platform preventing the average college-aged gamer from taking the plunge into Pokemon, and not the world or the art style or the fact that it's Pokemon.

I see. Sure it would be a massive project, but I can't see why it won't work. Is not like a rpg pokemon IS the game that Wii U needs, but I don't think Nintendo would loose all their money,

Click HERE and be happy 

spurgeonryan said:

http://n4g.com/news/1596840/nintendo-hates-money-and-these-4-games-prove-it

Can't say I agree. Variety helps sales.

Variety helps sales but Nintendo is doing it with weak titles outside of MK and SMB. When Zelda and Metroid surface that might sell a couple more consoles. Ninty is riding the edge of their second year and they still havent met the 10 million sales mark yet. I've been saying this for a while they need Third party to patch up their sales. A Pokemon MMO would be great.

EricFabian said:

I see. Sure it would be a massive project, but I can't see why it won't work. Is not like a rpg pokemon IS the game that Wii U needs, but I don't think Nintendo would losse all their money,

There are also development resources to consider. GameFreak is not a huge company. Would they outsource the game?

It would probably work out okay, and the game itself would probably be fine, but it's not something the Pokemon series needs, it's not something the Wii U needs, it's not something Nintendo needs.

I'm just tired of hearing about how NINTENDO NEEDS TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!! And seeing "Not making this game proves that Nintendo hates money" is too close to that for my tastes.