By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mafia Round 70 - Smash Brothers - Wahahaha! Wario Wins! (And Mafia Too I Guess...)

Yes, one can dream alright.

But it was still good fun.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:

As for you Cone, it's very easy for the guy in last place to point out the faults in everyone ahead of him, but maybe you should own up for your own mistakes. You lost the hardest out of anyone. I think you're just mad you got last place and want to feel like everyone ahead of you doesn't deserve it.

I think you're being a bit harsh here. Imp was pretty clearly Mafia; you didn't need any confirmation of that and as time went on the pool of potential accomplises slimmed down. Your desperation to say "Imp is a doctor people!" over and over didn't make any sense to me; it struck of desperation and realizing you were close to the end, which you were. However having said that you both played very well, so I can't complain too much. Don't mind finishing last, because I thought that I played well (who suspected I was the serial killer eh? Clearly not you guys, and killing Nickles was the best approach because I knew town would collapse and I could play into it. Even had a Miller role lined up and a poison protection claim) and as theProf said it was only a Mafia error which knocked me out. 

Losing isn't a problem, it's just for fun after all! And as for my plan to make a new Mafia game, if there's people to do it then that's great.

Conegamer said:

I think you're being a bit harsh here. Imp was pretty clearly Mafia; you didn't need any confirmation of that and as time went on the pool of potential accomplises slimmed down. Your desperation to say "Imp is a doctor people!" over and over didn't make any sense to me; it struck of desperation and realizing you were close to the end, which you were. However having said that you both played very well, so I can't complain too much. Don't mind finishing last, because I thought that I played well (who suspected I was the serial killer eh? Clearly not you guys, and killing Nickles was the best approach because I knew town would collapse and I could play into it. Even had a Miller role lined up and a poison protection claim) and as theProf said it was only a Mafia error which knocked me out. 

Losing isn't a problem, it's just for fun after all! And as for my plan to make a new Mafia game, if there's people to do it then that's great.

Again, it's all really easy to say as someone who was in the dead thread where prof confirmed to you guys that Imp was scum. You wouldn't have known otherwise, if you're honest with yourself. I could just as easily been a frustrated town voyeur who was sick of town not believing me when I confirmed power roles that then later proved themselves to have that power. There's no reason Imp couldn't have been the doctor either. There was a town doctor, and no one had confirmation that it was the town doctor who died, just theories that maybe scum killed WEPL because he sounded like a doctor. Imp could easily have been the real doctor. He was behaving exactly like a town doc/psych combo should, and as far as town knew, he had prevented a kill. What reason did they have to believe he wasn't the doctor? Because he seemed scummy? So did you when you were the doctor! His role was not only believable, it was exactly as he claimed it was. The difference was that his recruit was a recruit for the scum team, but such a thing is unheard of. The mafiascum wiki page even says psychiatrists are always pro-town. It also says that they don't usually appear in role madness games, but that they frequently appear in games with no serial killer in them, so the argument that he was a doctor/psych in a game that might not actually have a serial killer to balance the extra protection role actually made more sense than WEPL being the doctor!

HylianSwordsman said:
Wonktonodi said:

Yeah his lies hurt so much that scum lost.... oh wait....

Yeah sorry don't see it. And no you didn't do a good job. Town did a very very terrible job. Big difference.

You lost yoshiya because of stefl and Khan, plus his own slips. While you might not have used him on  spurge had he said something else. You instead would have been up against a townie that only wouldn't be lynched and you'd have to deal with for fear of him following you guys. You guys killed cone. That's on you. Own it.

You have no idea what spurge's lie did to us. We overcame it. But whatever, believe your hindsight bias and blame everyone that survived past you, that's the easy way out.

I take some blame too. A simple Check who actually hammered and follow the right plan. And Ryan didn't survive past me. Hindsight? Read the dead thread. I called a scum win while prof was very strongly seeing a town win.

Had everyone else followed the plan, they would have had you. it's not not about hindsight, it's about town having to much power. Want to know a lie that helped people not know the plan?

Ryan's. While I did enjoy the game. The way he plays sucks so much of the fun our of it for me.

HylianSwordsman said:

Cone, I really don't get what was so cheesy and rehearsed about that last post of mine. I spent less time on it than any other lengthly post I made in this thread, because I was in a great hurry. The other posts were more thought out. If I sounded rehearsed, it was because I'd been saying the same stuff over and over again, because town really didn't have any new reasoning on me, so I was repeating myself at that point.

As for cheesy...well what was I supposed to sound like? I was about to die, had put myself into the mindset of a frustrated townie being mislynched when I wrote that, and it was largely true. I did play exactly the part in Yoshiya's lynch that I said I did, so as to seem town. It is indeed possible that I could have saved Yoshiya, but I chose not to because I wanted to recruit spurge, but you didn't know that, so aside from that it's true that I had no reason to do what I did as scum. Again, spurge's lying screwed us over the most. And I was completely right and logical in what I said about Stefl. From a townie's point of view that doesn't know Stefl is town, everything I said makes sense. Stefl would, if he were scum, have more reason to claim what he did. Also, remember, prof told you in the dead thread that the psych was scum, but living town didn't know that, and psychs are usually town. Keep that in mind. You only saw through me because you knew things from prof that living town didn't. So from the perspective of town thinking that Imp was a doctor psych, because he was, and was acting like one, I really had no reason to act like I did as scum, while Stefl did.

As for that paragraph about my voting record, it's all true. I really did think Khan was scum, I really did use logic that made sense to try to get Khan lynched, and Nickles and Astro saw that logic. I really did just go along with town with Smeags, and it was the doc/psych that scanned him along with inactive players that didn't. In fact I was going to unvote Smeags for being the jester as I suspected but town acted too fast. I really was going to vote for Yoshiya but didn't get to it in time and didn't want to look suspicious stealing the hammer vote, I just left out the part that I thought spurge was a recruitable SK and chose spurge over Yoshiya. Once I knew spurge wasn't the SK I did genuinely think spurge was some kind of third party because he was lying, and Stefl did play a big part in my final decision that spurge was lying and my decision to vote spurge, because I thought he'd turn up third party and I'd get a little credit for voting him. I was right all along that his lying was connected to Stefl. We actually did successfully redirect spurge with Yoshiya, and if Stefl had understood his role, it would have been clear that spurge was redirected. And with what I knew as scum, I figured that spurge was a hidden miller, and in effect, he was, because Khan was set up to believe that scum had weapons and town didn't. Imp was effectively a hidden godfather too, if you look at prof's list of Khan results. Prof can say Khan was a "flavor cop" all he wants, but flavor or not, Khan's results were misleading. Save for the miller, hidden miller, godfather, and hidden godfather, his role was an normal alignment cop. All the evidence against believing his role at the time was the hidden miller. However, as a townie, what looks more likely, a hidden miller, or Stefl lying? My Stefl vote made sense as town.

Really, anyone blaming Khan, Clyde, Radish, or even spurge just can't accept that I did a good job, and it's because of your hindsight bias. You would have made the same mistake as Khan and Clyde in their shoes, you just don't realize it. Looking back over the thread would have told you nothing, so you can't blame them for that. Khan, you did a great job, and you used logic in the end. Your final choice made sense. The best evidence you had was in the voting patterns, but I explained that away with a story that logically made sense. The evidence you didn't have that would have saved you all was if Stefl had understood his role enough to tell you what you needed to know, namely that spurge was a tracker and thus was actually redirected, and that Imp did not protect himself the night he said he protected himself, or Stefl would have seen him. Don't know how you guys missed that last part. Town almost won because of how spurge's lies affected scum's decisions, and town ultimately lost because Stefl understood his role poorly. Scum nearly lost because of assuming that blatant lies meant anti-town (not an outlandish assumption), and scum ultimately won because they made more sense than town did.

As for you Cone, it's very easy for the guy in last place to point out the faults in everyone ahead of him, but maybe you should own up for your own mistakes. You lost the hardest out of anyone. I think you're just mad you got last place and want to feel like everyone ahead of you doesn't deserve it.

And you think "I won therefore I did well"

You won while you're team did poorly. Because the other team did far worse.You were way to close to imp and Khan and should have been lynched to confirm then or put suspicion them.

Clyde is new didn't really know better made mistakes that saves you. He also got banned that  draggedRadish was mia and didn't follow through. Should notice when you blast some for not following the plan but not the one who didn't safe me.

Khan should have been very skeptical of you budding up you determination to believe his role was too strong. He should have stuck with his gut on you and imp.

Stefl. Also went mia for too long. He was the last hope.

Around the Network

Thanks Prof, it was honestly a blast to play the game with such a fun role given to me. So much fun to be able to say "screw it" to proper Mafia play and for that to actually be a good thing.

Imma Wario, and imma gonna win!

It's easy to sit in the dead thread and say this and that should be done. That play was bad' that was not good etc. It's all based on more information than town had and subjective reads that are not shared by town.

I am proud of the way scum played, myself included, and think the win was well earned. The game was stacked for town and it took some very precise planning, some gutsy gambles and town mistakes to pull it off. But it was pulled off, against the odds. To just say town played terrible is a cop out, town doesn't play in a vacuum, they were manipulated into making poor decisions which is the whole point of the game. Obviously mistakes were made, but it's unfair to not acknowledge that scum played their parts in forcing those mistakes.

To just point out one example: The killing of Wonk when the plan was for him to be protected. If you want to you can look at it as a terrible scum play and it's incredible that town didn't catch on to it. In reality it was a move that was mulled over for quite some time, one that was recognized as having a high probability of leading to getting me lynched, but we also identified a potential opening for exploiting some confusion on when the day had really ended and who really hammered the vote. When the night was over, we were able to successfully exploit that slight confusion and lead town away from what they should have done. It's easy for Wonk who obviously was very focused on his own role and play and actions to immediately identify that I had broken the plan, but we as scum recognized that not everyone in town might be as locked into that read as him. We were right, and pulled it off, and the guy who could obviously call it all out and lead town to the right lynch was in the dead thread by then. Killed off at the moment the kill came available and at a time when it was sorely needed.

theprof00 said:
Not to mention this was a hard game to mod. Many replacements, including two players who were dating each other being on separate teams >_>

Thank you again for hosting the game! It is appreciated and it must have been a huge headache to manage such a complex game.

I hope people want to play again, and that we can keep some of the new players coming back and keep playing. If we can build up some more play experience among us the games will be even more fun. So White, Eric, Clyde, please sign up again if another game is planned. Khan and Cone and Carl, come join us as we grow the collective skill of the VGChartz mafia community to unimaginable heights. The rest, you are our veterans, let's do this!

impertinence said:
I hope people want to play again, and that we can keep some of the new players coming back and keep playing. If we can build up some more play experience among us the games will be even more fun. So White, Eric, Clyde, please sign up again if another game is planned. Khan and Cone and Carl, come join us as we grow the collective skill of the VGChartz mafia community to unimaginable heights. The rest, you are our veterans, let's do this!

As I said I'd be looking to do a game at some point if noone else wants to. And you are correct; hindsight is a wonderful thing.