By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Is Getting Windows 10, Cross-Platform Games And Apps

jlmurph2 said:
binary solo said:
Jazz2K said:
Hmm... so gaming wise, does it mean Valve might allow Steam to come to Xbox? A lot of games are controller compatible so they would almost be ready to work on the console. Imagine how big the user base would automaticaly be for indy developers. And with this, does it mean devs will develop for Windows 10 instead of Xbox One resulting in no parity crap? And if Steam is allowed, indies wouldn't need publishers at all is that right?

Reading the article it doesn't sound like it's that simple. Especially not for existing software developed for W8 and earlier. But what is interesting is bringing Xb one games to low powered PCs through IE. I presume there will be a time lag between launch and availability through IE on PC, but in effect they are making Xb one obsolete from a gaming perspective. And of course anyone with a PC at least as powerful as Xb one looks like they'll be able to play Xb one games from day. Funny that people actually think this looks like it will help sell Xb one. It will enhance Xb one for the people who own it. But right now I can;t see a single reason to buy Xb one if I already have a PC that is at least as powerful as Xb one and can upgrade to W10.

I don't have such a PC of course, but I am due for a new laptop in the not too distant future and I will do well to get one that meets those Xb one gaming requirements, and I will even be able to play on my TV. Now I just have to figure out of there is a Xb one game I want to play...Quantum Break perhaps.

Pretty sure you'll need an Xbox One home console on your wi-fi connected to your microsoft account to stream games. Why would they just let you buy and play games on PC with no restriction?

Because home console hardware is no longer important, not even a little bit, to MS's long term strategy. Time to move on and try to maintain and gain market share in the hardware that is important with W10: computers, tablets, phones. The reason MS got into consoles in the first place no longer exists, and no new business case has arisen to justify staying in that market.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Am I the only one that likes to keep work and play separated? My games console looking and working like my work pc is a big turn off for me. Nor do I want facebook spam on my games console or email notification, skype or instant messages from non gaming friends. Same as I don't take a mobile phone with me when I go mountain biking. I guess you can turn it all off without having to play offline.

binary solo said:
jlmurph2 said:
binary solo said:

Reading the article it doesn't sound like it's that simple. Especially not for existing software developed for W8 and earlier. But what is interesting is bringing Xb one games to low powered PCs through IE. I presume there will be a time lag between launch and availability through IE on PC, but in effect they are making Xb one obsolete from a gaming perspective. And of course anyone with a PC at least as powerful as Xb one looks like they'll be able to play Xb one games from day. Funny that people actually think this looks like it will help sell Xb one. It will enhance Xb one for the people who own it. But right now I can;t see a single reason to buy Xb one if I already have a PC that is at least as powerful as Xb one and can upgrade to W10.

I don't have such a PC of course, but I am due for a new laptop in the not too distant future and I will do well to get one that meets those Xb one gaming requirements, and I will even be able to play on my TV. Now I just have to figure out of there is a Xb one game I want to play...Quantum Break perhaps.

Pretty sure you'll need an Xbox One home console on your wi-fi connected to your microsoft account to stream games. Why would they just let you buy and play games on PC with no restriction?

Because home console hardware is no longer important, not even a little bit, to MS's long term strategy. Time to move on and try to maintain and gain market share in the hardware that is important with W10: computers, tablets, phones. The reason MS got into consoles in the first place no longer exists, and no new business case has arisen to justify staying in that market.

So them giving more features to the Xbox One means its no longer important? Okay.

steam app incoming to kill the ps4....

SvennoJ said:
Am I the only one that likes to keep work and play separated? My games console looking and working like my work pc is a big turn off for me. Nor do I want facebook spam on my games console or email notification, skype or instant messages from non gaming friends. Same as I don't take a mobile phone with me when I go mountain biking. I guess you can turn it all off without having to play offline.

Exactly.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network

If Windows 10 works well on the XOne then I'm excited. It is a little silly though, because now gaming consoles are slowly becoming PC's..

binary solo said:

Whoa hang on a minute!

W10 can have universal apps. PSNow is most likely to come to PC, meaning it will have a W10 app...PS games on Xbox One!!!

Uncharted and TLOU coming to Xbox one!!!!!

M...G...S...4 ON XBOX ONE!!!!!!!!!

I llok forward to playing TLOU with my X1 controller :).