By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kamiya on Bayonetta 2.

HylianSwordsman said:
TheWPCTraveler said:
Seriously, I'm guessing Kamiya is just really annoyed at this point at three groups of people:
1. Those who keep asking for a sequel to The Wonderful 101
2. Port-beggars (You know who you are.)
3. #GamerGaters.

What the fuck do GamerGate people have to do with this? I only recently found out about it, but apparently it has to do with the relationship of the gaming journalists with people in the industry? I've seen no evidence that Kamiya is one of the people guilty of the corruption the GamerGate people are attacking. That's all the publishers and the journalists that they're after, not developers that are being yelled at by their fans for being unable to develop on a certain platform.

I've also never seen anyone begging Kamiya for a W101 sequel. I own the game, am a fan, and would buy a sequel. I would know if there was a movement for a sequel that had any momentum. The only group of people that prompted Kamiya to make these statements were the portbeggers, of which there are still droves of stupid people who are convinced that it's possible to get the game ported and that it's just a matter of begging hard enough.

Yeah, i think WPTCtraveler has the wrong idea. Gamergaters fight for freedom of speech. The freedom to not want to discuss social agendas in videogames while journalists push for it. If anything its the other way around. Developers only come into this when they sleep with journalists for good press, and i doubt Kamiya has need for that.

So, to clear it up, if this is about depiction of women in videogames, its the anti-gamergaters that are pestering Kamiya. Get your audiences right. 

Around the Network
Nem said:

Yeah, i think WPTCtraveler has the wrong idea. Gamergaters fight for freedom of speech. The freedom to not want to discuss social agendas in videogames while journalists push for it. If anything its the other way around. Developers only come into this when they sleep with journalists for good press, and i doubt Kamiya has need for that.

So, to clear it up, if this is about depiction of women in videogames, its the anti-gamergaters that are pestering Kamiya. Get your audiences right. 

People using the hashtag "#GamerGate" have been pestering Kamiya on Twitter. Wouldn't that be the definition of a "#GamerGater"? As in, one who uses "#GamerGate"?

the_dengle said:
Nem said:

People using the hashtag "#GamerGate" have been pestering Kamiya on Twitter. Wouldn't that be the definition of a "#GamerGater"? As in, one who uses "#GamerGate"?

Alright... i guess he just got annoyed for beeing spammed.

Nem said:

Alright... i guess he just got annoyed for beeing spammed.

Or for being asked to care about something that doesn't concern him.

And slandered (last Tweet is fake):

Vena said:
pokoko said:

Let's not build straw-men?  I said that I think it's possible that Nintendo might have over-estimated Bayonetta and you replied with, "You are speaking of Nintendo as if they have never operated with 3rd parties or have any sense or, seemingly, made games."  Where did I say that Nintendo thought Bayonetta would turn a profit?  You might want to follow your own advice.

"Hm, yes, now that I think about it, Nintendo has never made a misstep or misjudged the market."

That's as sham and hyperbolic as they come. No one said they can't make mistakes, so leading your reply off with that very sentence is... bad.

I agree with you on "why" they took up the game from its death bed, to a degree, but I do not agree on the idea that they somehow thought this title would suddenly become anything more than the original: why would they expect it to sell much of anything when a combined user base of several tens of milliosn couldn't push the original over a million naturally? On a console with no such userbase either in size or orientation. There's no reason to say they were over-estimating a dead title... it was dead for a reason. They may have thought the WiiU would be in a better place but that reality became apparent over a year ago and they've had ample time to pull the plug or update their estimates and budgets accordingly. I just see no reason to assume they over-estimated it, and then continued to over-estimate later.

This was a move to court fans, and fans of the game and this type of gameplay, it has courted but that's not large a number (at least in Japan). It was a financial sink to build at the core gamer. And, considering how Iwata operates, I can easily see him continuing a project on a game like this because he loves games, sales be damned (every once in a while).

You yourself are going into hyperbolic "screwing the consumer" with the original 3DS price. That WAS the price of it construction. They may have overshot their expectations with the 3D gimmick but it wasn't like they had a 100$ mark-up on the hardware. And if anything, Bayo1/2 is anything but screwing the consumers with two for one deals like this.

Your notion of them "screwing the consumer" is nothing short of fantasy.

You know, really, I just don't care as much as you do about this.

I'm sorry that I said that Nintendo might have over-estimated Bayonetta.  It was a horrible, horrible thing to say.

Around the Network
pokoko said:

I'm sorry that I said that Nintendo might have over-estimated Bayonetta.  It was a horrible, horrible thing to say.

Doesn't the fact that it sold through 67% of its initial shipment indicate that they did not over-estimate it, or at least not dramatically?

Areym said:
It's easy to understand, but hard to accept (for a bayonetta fan without a Wii U)

Buy a Wii U, problem solved. :)

curl-6 said:
Areym said:
It's easy to understand, but hard to accept (for a bayonetta fan without a Wii U)

Buy a Wii U, problem solved. :)

Cant do that. What would the other kids think of him?

the_dengle said:
pokoko said:

Doesn't the fact that it sold through 67% of its initial shipment indicate that they did not over-estimate it, or at least not dramatically?

I was talking about when they purchased the rights to the game itself.  I think they had higher hopes for it both in terms of sales and helping to bring over more Xbox/Playstation gamers.  Of course, we still have to see what kind of impact it has the west.

pokoko said:

I was talking about when they purchased the rights to the game itself.  I think they had higher hopes for it both in terms of sales and helping to bring over more Xbox/Playstation gamers.  Of course, we still have to see what kind of impact it has the west.

Well, where I'm hung up is that there's no evidence to suggest that. I don't disagree with you, but I could say that they in fact underestimated Bayonetta's sales potential and have presented no less of an argument than you have.