By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Tracking vs. Reality (PS4)

Tagged games:

What do you think about VGChartz tracking of the PS4?

3M+ overtracked 44 6.89%

2M+ overtracked 15 2.35%

1M+ overtracked 38 5.95%

Spot on! 53 8.29%

1M+ undertracked 300 46.95%

2M+ undertracked 37 5.79%

3M+ undertracked 39 6.10%

Who cares? 47 7.36%

I do care, but won't vote. 44 6.89%

TL;DR 21 3.29%

Total:638
vivster said:
It should really be in Sony's best interest to provide ioi with accurate WW numbers.

I'm sure that's on the top of their priority list. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
vivster said:
wary-wallaroo said:
Xeon said:
I think vgchartz has more difficulty accurately tracking PlayStation consoles because PlayStation is available in more markets. This includes smaller ones where it is more difficult to track as accurately.

Sure, but that doesn't explain why, when actual, real numbers are released, they're so hesistant to update and why to this day they are still rather heavily undertracking the PS4 (and/or overtracking the X1)

That was explained in length by ioi.

The short version is that you can't just slap more units in countries where you can't verify or at least comprehend where the units are coming from. So he chooses slightly wrong but verifyable numbers over accurate but completely made up numbers.

Of course there are countries where undertracking is verifyable and still not adjusted. I assume that's because of different reasons.

I don't believe that excuse at all. They gave the 360 over 1 million imaginary numbers in Germany but won't do it for the PS4? It's common knowledge that the PS4 is undertracked on here for ASIA for starters and probably most of the EU. 

WHat were the reasons behind VGchartz being banned on neogaf anyway? 

COX said:
vivster said:
It should really be in Sony's best interest to provide ioi with accurate WW numbers.

Why should Sony provide numbers to someone that said "If Sony number are to be believe as being accurate sell-through" 

Its difficult to trust someone who Saïd that, how can you have such bias and Be the vgc creator at the same time ?

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

vivster said:

You do realize that NPD and Rentrak do not adjust their numbers to this place, its the other way around. Thats all you need to know about the hierarchy. I still don't understand why people just can't accept this place for what it is: a fun general videogame website with humorous (at times) regulars sprinkled with caricatures who think they are statisticians. There is a reason the website design is a mess crammed with ads for revenue, this place isn't what you apparently think it is and the sooner you accept it the better time you will have here. 

Aerys said:
Vgchartz became so important ? Dont think so, on the most important forums, they are banned, its telles a lot

Except on N4G.com 

This site and that site done a deal where all VGchartz get posted on there as news and the top articles from N4G get post on the main page of VGchartz when you scroll down a little. 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Aerys said:
Vgchartz became so important ? Dont think so, on the most important forums, they are banned, its telles a lot

Except on N4G.com 

This site and that site done a deal where all VGchartz get posted on there as news and the top articles from N4G get post on the main page of VGchartz when you scroll down a little. 

N4G.com is even worst, most clickbait site on the world

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Sony announced 10M sold back in the beginning of August during Gamescom. And the super duper really really extra emphasized that it was sold to the consumer, not just sold to retail.

Then, the week of Destiny, they have the highest sales they've seen since Christmas. You mean to tell me in this 2 month span, they've only sold 1M? That would mean that, not including Destiny week, they only sold around 500K in 7 weeks (4 weeks in August, 3 non-Destiny September weeks). That's an average of 71K a week....something even VGC themselves aren't showing, despite ioi saying "we won't adjust the numbers until we find out how they came about".

My stance is that just because you can't figure out why 2 + 2 =  4 doesn't make it stop equaling 4. Don't continuously be wrong to, I dunno, save face? VGC adjusts after we get official shipments/sold amounts from MS/Sony/Nintendo, and when we get NPD, Chart Track, etc. So why aren't they doing it with PS4? They went back and adjusted the 360 by MILLIONS (note: plural, I believe it was 80M --> 82M) when they got more recent shipment data. Why didn't ioi say "we're not adjusting til we understand where the numbers came from", then? No, they just accepted that 360 was undertracked and made the adjustment pretty much immediately.

So, being off by only like...6-700k at the time (I think VGC had PS4 at 9.3-9.4M when Sony announced 10M sold to consumer) and now it's about "figuring out where the numbers came from"? I don't get it. Why is VGC "holding hostage" the PS4 numbers? Precedent shows that they adjust when they get new data....like you should do in every facet of life.

steverhcp02 said:
vivster said:

You do realize that NPD and Rentrak do not adjust their numbers to this place, its the other way around. Thats all you need to know about the hierarchy. I still don't understand why people just can't accept this place for what it is: a fun general videogame website with humorous (at times) regulars sprinkled with caricatures who think they are statisticians. There is a reason the website design is a mess crammed with ads for revenue, this place isn't what you apparently think it is and the sooner you accept it the better time you will have here. 

Did you mean to reply to someone else because nothing you just said pertains to my comment.

I mean I just said that Sony should just give their numbers to this site because it obviously doesn't have reliable numbers. Wouldn't hurt them to do so.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Aerys said:
COX said:
vivster said:

Why should Sony provide numbers to someone that said "If Sony number are to be believe as being accurate sell-through" 

Its difficult to trust someone who Saïd that, how can you have such bias and Be the vgc creator at the same time ?

Not blindly trusting marketing pieces of profit oriented corporations = bias?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

Not blindly trusting marketing pieces of profit oriented corporations = bias?

So you are saying that Sony maybe lied despite the fact that they were clear about sold through the customers ? It's funny that ioi didn't apply this policy after the last publication of X360 number by MS. I guess that MS isn't a profit oriented corporation.