By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 20th September Week (PS4 passes 11m on VGC)

sweetTalia --only problem is amazon is not just the only retailer in the US

true,but wasnt there other best seller list from bestbuy/walmart where it also dominates the top of the charts? maybe im mistaken

amazon is a giant,i dont see why the trend would be so massive there,but just drop of at other big stores like the ones i mentioned... i never heard of a specific fan base all sticking together and ps4 buyers doing most of their shopping at amazon while the xone ppl mostly buy from toysR uS, and nin purchasing from best buy,...i gotta imagine its pretty similiar across the board since amazon is a huge sampling.. npd should be good

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Mummelmann said:
RavenXtra said:
3DS hitting 20k in NA is just embarassing. Nintendo really dropped the ball this year with 3DS. Hopefully New 3DS & a better software schedule can raise momentum next year.

That seems very telling of the handheld market though; it is most assuredly a bad sign for dedicated handheld consoles if they need another hardware revision every year just to keep afloat. There are bad times looming for dedicated handhelds and I still believe my prediction a few years back will hold (the 3DS will be the last traditional dedicated handheld console we'll see from any manufacturer).

Except new models have always "kept handhelds afloat." They usually have the same effect as price cuts. The Game Boy Pocket gave a slight boost to the Game Boy in the U.S., whose sales had slowed to about 2 million a year on average, then the GB Color came out (still technically a new model of the original Game Boy, kinda like the New 3DS in relation to the original 3DS) and the GB sold over six million units in the units in 1997 and 1998. The GBA SP gave a decent short-term boost to GBA sales and ultimately displaced the original. DS sales didn't start to take off until the DS Lite came out; the DSi also appeared to give a decent short-term boost. The PSP got a good boost from the PSP-2000, especially in Japan. The PSV Slim is what caused the Vita's sales to rebound to no-long-disaster levels in Japan. With the 3DS, it actually got a price cut that boosted sales, whereas the XL simply displaced much of the original's sales (costing only $30 more while being overall better probably being the main reason) and the 2DS appeared to do bupkis (I blame the form factor). It remains to be seen if the New 3DS actually boosts sales or not. Like other models that boosted sales of a particular handheld line, it marks a significant improvement over its predecessor, with multiple improvements being offered at the same price as previous models, so I think it has a good chance of giving a good boost to sales. Since it's first test is coming in Japan in nine days, I guess we'll find out when the Media Create numbers start rolling in.

I also think a lot of this "last handheld generation ever" doom-and-gloom rhetoric is hyperbole. Just because the 3DS won't ever reach DS sales numbers, the DS's 150 million units would probably have been tough to replicate even if smartphones had never been invented (and I have my doubts that mobile is the primary reason handheld sales aren't great; they might be a cause, but probably aren't the cause). The 3DS stands a good chance of reaching 80 million, especially if the New 3DS gives a decent boost to sales, and 80 million is far from a "doom-y" number.

Handhelds have always had annual revisions to spark the market? There is an increasing number of revisions in order to keep up with the movements of the general consumer elecronics market as a whole and these revisions are showing a smaller and shorter window of effect today. If mobile/tablet is not the main cause for the collapse, then what on earth is? If this were any other market, with one branch seeing a 60% decrease or more over the span of one "generation" while another branch exploded and expanded fiercely; no one would ever doubt the simple cause and effect in the market as a whole.

Should the 3DS manage 80 million, which seems doubtful at this point, that will leave a total installed base of around 95-100 million for dedicated handhelds in the 8th generation, or about 140 million down in one generation, if that doesn't spell trouble then I don't know what does. Top that with the fact that the Vita is unlikely to reach 20 million and the 3DS will probably fall short of 80 million and you might end up with a total installed base of around 85-90 million instead; making the whole situation all the more dire. No matter how many of your charts and graphs you post; there is no denying that the handheld console market is in serious trouble compared to the 7th gen and there is also no denying that the home console market will contract, all of this has reasons, and I would like you to tell me what these are if not the splintering of the gaming industry and the rise of the alternative platforms (that are becoming the standard fast).

Also: The Gameboy ran a whole seven years before the first revision and had only one more and only for Japan, the last (Japanese exclusive) was nine years after release. The Gameboy Color was released in 1998 and had no proper hardware revisions during its run into 2003. The Gameboy Advance, releasing in 2001, had two revisions; the Advance SP and the Gameboy Micro, for the entirety of its 5-7 (China or elsewhere) run. See a pattern? More revisions as time goes by; the market is accelerating, the DS had the DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL during its lifespan, the first came after two years on the market and 2 1/2 years after that; the DSi released (with the DSi XL). Now look at the 3DS: it was forced to cut the price from 249$ to 169$ due to slow sales, 169$ being only 20$ above the original DS' launch price about 7 years prior and Nintendo released the 3DS XL already about 17 months after the initial launch of the 3DS. Then, only 15 months after the XL; the 2DS was released and now, only one year (and two days) after the 2DS, yet another revision is releasing in Japan.

What does the above tell you? The 3DS is still plunging yoy despite two revisions and a huge price cut and great software and no competition to speak of; clearly the market must have changed dramatically in the past few years and since the DS' heyday, why is that? What has happened if I'm wrong? The market is accelerating and the handhelds are being exposed to the break-neck pace of the mobile/tablet industry. Three revisions in three-and a half years for the 3DS versus two revisions for the DS over the course of 4.5 years, two revisions for the GB Advance over the course of 5 years, no proper revisions for the GB color and one revision for the GB in seven years.

It's all there plain as day for us all to see; the market is changing before our eyes and the dedicated handhelds are getting hammered and beaten out there. Despite all of Nintendo's efforts; the 3DS is till continuing its downward spiral.

chocoloco said:
bigjon said:
chocoloco said:

It would not surprise anyone, but I think the holiday effect we saw last gen where more xbox units by ratio are sold in the US during this time of year as compared to other times pf the year. It could be happening in a similar patter as last gen. Or at least, ioi's method just projects it will.

The PS4 will own the holidays this gen. The reason the Xbox did better during the holidays last gen was price. price. price. It was usually between 100-150 cheaper (base model). This gen alot of the mainstream gamers are moving over to PS4. Oh ya and lets not forget the Kinect fad is over now too.... that help Holidays last gen for Xbox.

I do believe the PS4 will win the holiday season in the US. I just think that it is likely that the sales ratio will move towards the x1's favor. This could be from anything like more kids waiting for their parents to buy them the X1. Though it might not happen at all, I just think it possible.

hmmm, well ratio wise it would be easier for the XB1 to have a higher increase due to the fact it has a lower non holiday baseline so that possible, but the PS4 will gain more volume.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Mummelmann said:
RavenXtra said:
3DS hitting 20k in NA is just embarassing. Nintendo really dropped the ball this year with 3DS. Hopefully New 3DS & a better software schedule can raise momentum next year.

That seems very telling of the handheld market though; it is most assuredly a bad sign for dedicated handheld consoles if they need another hardware revision every year just to keep afloat. There are bad times looming for dedicated handhelds and I still believe my prediction a few years back will hold (the 3DS will be the last traditional dedicated handheld console we'll see from any manufacturer).

Just that Vita was released after 3DS. So 3DS sucessor could be the last one or 3DS gen could be the last gen, but 3DS itself can't be named last handheld released.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Mummelmann said:
RavenXtra said:

Just that Vita was released after 3DS. So 3DS sucessor could be the last one or 3DS gen could be the last gen, but 3DS itself can't be named last handheld released.

Semantics, the point still stands; the time of the dedicated handheld console is more than likely over when the 3DS and Vita die out (which won't be far off).

Around the Network

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41903/Germany/

22k for HW in Germany
marginal hardware boost 31%

Germany up. But looking very weird.

Pos Game Weekly Total Week #
Hyrule Warriors (WiiU)
Nintendo, Action
22,137 22,137 1
Destiny (PS4)
Activision, Action
18,142 18,142 2
The Sims 4 (PC)
Electronic Arts, Action
10,425 10,425 3
Destiny (PS3)
Activision, Action
6,259 6,259 2
Destiny (XOne)
Activision, Action
5,515 5,515 2
Tomodachi Life (3DS)
Nintendo, Simulation
4,576 4,576 16

Notice the LTD totals?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41903/Europe/

HW did 74k FW in EU

Global

PosGameWeeklyTotalWeek #
Destiny (PS4)
Activision, Action
393,860 2,659,329 2
Dairantou Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
Nintendo, Fighting
321,457 1,279,774 2
Destiny (XOne)
Activision, Action
238,645 1,612,143 2
Destiny (X360)
Activision, Action
143,806 687,701 2
Destiny (PS3)
Activision, Action
115,329 486,622 2
The Sims 4 (PC)
Electronic Arts, Action
94,590 731,216 3
Hyrule Warriors (WiiU)
Nintendo, Action
87,070 192,057 6
Youkai Watch 2 Ganso/Honke (3DS)
Level 5, Role-Playing
58,096 2,509,157 11
Minecraft (PS3)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Adventure
53,596 1,364,306 19
Minecraft (X360)
Microsoft Game Studios, Adventure
49,238 5,318,972 68
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (3DS)
Square Enix, Misc
46,025 182,386 22
Bayonetta 2 (WiiU)
PlatinumGames, Action
37,173 37,173 1
Madden NFL 15 (PS4)
Electronic Arts, Sports
35,800 700,208 4
The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)
Sony Computer Entertainment America, Adventure
33,889 1,209,851 8
Madden NFL 15 (X360)
Electronic Arts, Sports
28,983 445,531 4
Tomodachi Life (3DS)
Nintendo, Simulation
28,852 2,552,308 75
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution (PS3)
Namco Bandai Games, Fighting
27,809 106,724 2
Madden NFL 15 (XOne)
Electronic Arts, Sports
26,916 525,429 4
Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
Nintendo, Racing
26,404 2,672,546 17
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
Take-Two Interactive, Action
23,929 17,912,532 53
Madden NFL 15 (PS3)
Electronic Arts, Sports
22,158 331,371 4
Pokemon X/Y (3DS)
Nintendo, Role-Playing
22,152 11,700,671 50
NHL 15 (PS4)
Electronic Arts, Action
20,738 91,663 2
Watch Dogs (PS4)
Ubisoft, Action
20,590 2,571,790 17
Grand Theft Auto V (X360)
Take-Two Interactive, Action
19,463 14,260,312 53
Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes (PS3)
Unknown, Action
18,047 18,047 1
Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes (X360)
Unknown, Action
17,509 17,509 1
Diablo III (PC)
Activision, Role-Playing
17,325 4,257,694 123
Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS4)
Activision, Shooter
16,217 2,591,756 45
Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (PS4)
Activision, Role-Playing
16,201 375,651 5

sully1311 said: