By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official VGC SSBB Tournament Thread

I'm assuming we're either going to have a tourney on the first day or the second, so we may as well get signups done now so we know who we're adding to Smash Friends.  I'll update the list whenever I look at the thread.

Update: Ok, it looks like a lot of people want the tourney a few days or a week after the launch, and some want it on launch day.  So, why don't we have the real thing on the next Sunday (March 16th), and those who want to play on the 9th can still exchange FC's and maybe we can set something informal up.

Also, we should decide on gametypes (ie with or without items, 2p or 4p, etc.) beforehand so we have more time for awesomeness.  What type of tournament?  Round-Robin, I take it? 

Rules so far: OK, I'm liking the way this is looking so far--I can't stand when, in a game where interactive environments and items are a big part, people play flat stages with items turned off EVERY time.  So far, I'm thinking:

-Random stages (we can set the likelihood of certain ones appearing in random, right?)

-Medium to low items, with the game-breaking ones (like hammers) turned off.

LIST OF COMPETITORS SO FAR:

thekitchensink        Mr. Pickles (Ontario, Canada)

Riot of the Blood

Viewtiful_jon

ClaudeLv250

The_vagabond7

Xstonexcold316x

Brawl4life

Stever89

BenKenobi88

Elgefe02

Jowgen

Iclim4

Izaaz101

Taomaster06

adajio   adajio64 (Texas)

Tokoro

ugg1020

WaSuMaRa

Bursche

Roflinator

L.C.E.C.    L.C.E.C.

Quigontcb

I Like Bacon

Nintendo Fan Girl

Duke of Darkness

Csir

Ikilledkenny

Super_etecoon

Lemieux-rules66

RCTJunkie

MaxwellGT2000   Maxwellgt2000   Georgia

Ministaff

Possum5454

Linkthe2nd

Elisaul

Valdens

Gimic300

Naznatips

Gnizmo

RPG_Fanatic

RIGHT NOW, WE HAVE EXACTLY 40 people.  So, no matter if we do 2p or 4p matches, we'll have an even amount.  What we should do is have an elimination-style tournament with 20 matches going on to start with (if we decide on 2p).  The number would get divided in half each time until there is one left.

I believe it's possible to watch someone else's match, right?  I ask because we should (ideally) have one person watch each match tomake sure everyone plays fairly (like no edge-hogging, etc.).  Also, it would be nice for people who've lost to be able to still see what happens.

For those who want to use Skype, please PM me with your Skype name and the country/state associated with your Skype account (in case there are others with the same name or similar).  I will then put it beside your name in the OP.

AS FAR AS RULES GO: I'm thinking we should have a vote here.  I'll post a bunch of different options, and you can choose what you like.  Please copy the below exactly, and post your answer in this thread:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=19283.

This makes it much easier for me to tally.  I'll try to update the OP with the votes every few hours.

Rule options:

MATCH TYPE:

2p or 4p?   2p   4p

Team or single? (ONLY IF YOU VOTED FOR 4p)   Team   Single

Time or Stock?  Time   Stock   Both   (Not to influence anyone's decision, but I think 'both' would be easiest seeing as we won't be able to tell when matches are over if it's stock since we're not in  the same room)

Items:

Item appearance frequency: Very High   High   Normal  Low   Very Low   None

(only answer the rest of this section if you did not pick 'none')

Smash ball: On  Off

Power items (Like the hammer):  On   Off

Healing items:  On  Off

Poke Balls and Assist Trophies:  On    Off

Stages:

Selection method:  Choose   Random

Flat stages only?   Yes   No

Characters:

Selection method: Choose   Random

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

I will join if there is one around a week after launch i have to get my GF to send the game to me from USA, already got her to pay for it just need it sent to me now.

Put me on your list. I doubt anyone on this site can beat me.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

I'm definitely in. Itching to fight.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I'll be in. Most likely. Just depends on the details of timing. But yeah, totally want to be in.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

im in

hmmm i want to join but due to the fact i have a two month old daughter my game schedule as b/c to up in the air to commit to any def time..but i will root on in spirit

sign me up ..... is it 2pm-4pm eastern time ? Items on please more chaos and fun !

Oh yeah, if I had to vote for rules, I'd say screw "true tourney" rules, and make our own. I don't want Battlefield or final destination no items, I think it should involve more from the game. especially so early on in it's life.

Maybe limited items such as Smash ball, beam swords, cracker launcher and maybe a few others. Take out the insta kill things like hammers though.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Oh I'm so there. I'll have to make arrangements because I won't be at college during the week of launch... meaning I won't have high speed internet. But I can find someone with high speed. Hopefully.

I say no items, Final Destination (or similar) level. And everyone has to play as Yoshi. Haha. Just kidding on that last part.