By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thoughts on this new generation, which is off to a great start.

artur-fernand said:

I'm gonna be perfectly honest, I think most people don't know exactly what they want.
"Being wowed by a game that's clearly not possible on previous gen machines.". And what the hell would that be exactly? It comes down to "insanely gorgeous" games, but many people would dismiss it as "just graphics, I want something more!"

It's been EIGHT generations folks. About 40 years of technological advancements. It comes a point where there's just no more room for INNOVATIONS or REVOLUTIONS - but why even bother so much with that, when ultimately the objective is just to have fun? If I'm having fun with Second Son, should I care that game could be done on the PS3 if the graphics were downgraded? Or should I care if Destiny is nothing we haven't seen before and the game is available on older hardware?

What's wrong with just having simple fun? Gamers are a pretty picky audience, imo.

This is actually a complaint by many people. It's many people's opinon that next-gen isn't more fun, heck, even not as fun as current-gen. There is a lot of focus on power and graphics this gen. If people wanted just plain fun, they could pick up a SNES for that and would probably not be disappointed.

Around the Network
artur-fernand said:

I'm gonna be perfectly honest, I think most people don't know exactly what they want.
"Being wowed by a game that's clearly not possible on previous gen machines.". And what the hell would that be exactly? It comes down to "insanely gorgeous" games, but many people would dismiss it as "just graphics, I want something more!"

It's been EIGHT generations folks. About 40 years of technological advancements. It comes a point where there's just no more room for INNOVATIONS or REVOLUTIONS - but why even bother so much with that, when ultimately the objective is just to have fun? If I'm having fun with Second Son, should I care that game could be done on the PS3 if the graphics were downgraded? Or should I care if Destiny is nothing we haven't seen before and the game is available on older hardware?

What's wrong with just having simple fun? Gamers are a pretty picky audience, imo.

I completely agree! The innovation we're going to get this generation will be from indie games & developers. People that are looking for a "fresh" experience will usually disregard anything that isn't AAA or retail. Quite a paradox for em lol.

ninjaman003 said:
artur-fernand said:

This is actually a complaint by many people. It's many people's opinon that next-gen isn't more fun, heck, even not as fun as current-gen. There is a lot of focus on power and graphics this gen. If people wanted just plain fun, they could pick up a SNES for that and would probably not be disappointed.

There has been focus on power and graphics at every single gen. Ever. We wouldn't be looking at Full HD games today if that wasn't the case, would we?

And if people are not having fun with the games (even the cross-gen), well... I really don't know what to say. I think it's easy to please me. And I get the SNES argument, but I'm talking about having fun with brand new games, instead of revisiting old favorites =P

artur-fernand said:
ninjaman003 said:
artur-fernand said:

There has been focus on power and graphics at every single gen. Ever. We wouldn't be looking at Full HD games today if that wasn't the case, would we?

And if people are not having fun with the games (even the cross-gen), well... I really don't know what to say. I think it's easy to please me. And I get the SNES argument, but I'm talking about having fun with brand new games, instead of revisiting old favorites =P

Yeah, I'm not saying that there is no reason you can't have fun on next-gen consoles, but at the same time you can have fun on current-gen consoles. So you can have fun on next-gen or current-gen. Neither is really more fun, and that's a lot of reason people don't want to buy into next-gen yet.

Here's how I see it.

PS3/360 got off to a slow start because they were, at the time, unfamiliar technology.

PS4/Xbone are simple, easy-to-develop-for PC architecture. As such, they will not see the same dramatic improvement in graphics over their lifespan that their predecessors did. There will never be a PS4 game that looks as far ahead of Killzone Shadow Fall as, say, God of War Ascension does compared to Resistance Fall of Man.

Also, perhaps more critically, there's been no major advances in gameplay.

At this point in the last gen, we already had Wii Sports and Gears of War, which screamed next gen. Nothing like that exists on Wii U, PS4, or Xbone yet.

Where previous generational transitions felt like revolutionary leaps, this one feels like an incremental step.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
I genuinely don't see how anyone could possibly say that this generation is off to a good start with a straight face. I legitimately came here thinking it was a joke thread.

Glad I'm not the only one. My parents offered to pick me up a Wii-U or PS4 this past May after I graduated college, and I went for a PS3 instead because there just aren't enough games for me in the current gen yet (Well, Smash Bros. and X will probably change that, but they're still a little while off).

Hmm

8th gens got more new IPs...which is good, I guess, but that's all I can really say about it. Every single new IP release has been met with a huge "meh" response as well, so I'm not really even sure that's worth bragging about.

Admittedly the first year of 8th gen is more impressive than the first year of 7th gen in terms of software quality, but I'm not sure that's worth bragging about either. Arguably the only titles worth playing within the first year of 7th gen were Twilight Princess and Resistance, and neither of those were particularly outstanding.

So I can't say I think it's off to a particularly great start, but console generations almost never get off to a great start, so maybe this is entirely the wrong question to ask. It's off to an ok-ish start, which is probably ahead of the curve for most generations.

So, this degraded into a talk about graphics. At least that perfectly explains why this generation is extremely subpar.

Its not a bad start, not great but not bad.

bugrimmar said:

Give me three new IPs made within the first year of the last generation that match the size and quality of Titanfall, Watch Dogs, and Destiny.

Also, please remember that the beginning of a generation =/= the end of a generation. The beginning of the PS360 gen was marred by hardware unfamiliarity. As devs got better with the hardware, the games got better too. So now, as the devs have become so familiar with the PS360, they can more easily port games from current gen to last gen. Titanfall, Watch Dogs, and Destiny are made possible on PS360 because of this familiarity. This would not have been possible at the beginning of last gen.

Compare the FPS at the launch of the PS3 (Resistance: Fall of Man) as well as the first Call of Duty to Destiny. While Resistance is admittedly a better game in terms of story and gameplay, Destiny is just so much more MASSIVE. That's the point I'm trying to make here.

I'll name 4. Saints Row, Kameo - Elements of Power, Gears of War and Perfect Dark Zero.

And thats just Xbox 360, pretty sure that Uncharted landed on PS3 in the first year also.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS