By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thoughts on this new generation, which is off to a great start.

So far feels more like gen 7.5 nothing really new or differant that couldnt be done on last gen. Bit disappointing really.

Around the Network
bugrimmar said:
Intrinsic said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
I completely disagree. The gen is off to a very weak start, and the three new IPs you mentioned are all available (and as such very possible) on the old hardware. PS360 was a massive jump, this is much more modest.

I do like the look of FFXV though.

I think this is a common misconception with most people. PS360 gen also started slowly. Mostjust don't remember that cause of its staggered launch with the 360 coming a year before the PS3. And in that year only like 5M people bought a 360 before the holiday boom for it which also just happened around the PS3 launch. A lot of people forget that the first COD game on the 360 was still a world war 2 themed game. 

Every gen starts off slow, with the true generational titles coming at best a year or two after the gen starts. There are just way more ways and it seems to be trending these days for people to vent and act all disgruntled and hate on everything now than there were back then.

By next year, we will all start to se games that we can all say beyond doubt could not have been made on last gen consoles. In all honesty, I still found it baffling how a game like MGS5:PP can run in any capacity on the PS360 . Until I watched the FF15 trailer. You can clearly see what kinda concessions were made to accomodate last gen hadware in MGS5 afetr watching the FF15 trailer.

Correct.

TheLastStarFighter just can't accept that PS360 started even slower. The reason he can't provide my 3 games-as-large-as-destiny is that there aren't any.

Gears of war, oblivion, codemned. And destiny is on last gen? So can be handled right now on old systems which means destiny fun as is, is built on old technology. I couldnt imagine gears or oblivion on an end of life ps2 or gc

8th gen sucks balls. I'm still waiting for that "Holy shit! This is why I bought a new console!!" feeling that I got almost at launch when I purchased a SNES, N64, PS2, Xbox 360, Wii, etc. This new trend of launching a new console and then coming up with the software to justify it is unacceptable in my honest opinion. The good games are coming but so far, I'm let down.

Its been kinda disappointing. Wii U has had a few great games but there aren't any games on PS4 and X1 that make me want to buy them. I guess all the good games will start coming out next year.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

TheLastStarFighter said:

Bolded = ???  Your post is about the start of the gen, so that's what we're talking about.  I'm sure some fine games are going to come later, but upon release there has been very little that has been remarkable, and that isn't already available on older hardware.

You then mention Titanfall, which supports what I'm saying.  It's available on XB360.

So far the new systems have given us pretty much nothing that isn't already availble on last gen.  This gen is off to a brutal start, content-wise.

Last gen at this time we were about to get this:

The lack of mind-blowing software is almost laughable.   Don't kid yourself.  Almost all big games are still on last-gen, and the jump isn't near as massive as going to HD from SD.  This gen is off to a very tepid start.

You are nitpicking things. Gears is a X360 exclusive, Destiny is a cross gen game. One was one of the best looking console games when released, while the other isn't even close. Try these:

Black (PS2)

Call of Duty 2 (360)

Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4)

See, everything depends on the game. Try Gear And before anyone comes saying the SF shot is a bullshot, I've captured the screen myself. Just in this shot we see tesselation, global ilummination and material based rendering. None of these techs were available on PS360 (at least in a significant degree).

Around the Network

Yeah but your comparing early 360 with ps4 obvs thats totally better on ps4 but you are missing point. Early 360 pd zero condemned gears etc blew away LATE ps2 xbox games. This gen early ps4 looks pretty much same as late ps3 that is the point

Yeah but your comparing early 360 with ps4 obvs thats totally better on ps4 but you are missing point. Early 360 pd zero condemned gears etc blew away LATE ps2 xbox games. This gen early ps4 looks pretty much same as late ps3 that is the point

i dont know about a great start when the inevitable launch drought took along time to get through as any console launch, but I do agree it is getting much better.

As time goes by games will look better as they always have, be more patient. If your bitch if graffics graffics graffics, go buy a pc.

Intrinsic said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Watch_Dogs, Titanfall and Destiny aren't next-gen games.  They are on last gen.  Name me 3 exclusvie games for our new gen that are as impressive as GoW was for its time.

This time last gen there was no cross-gen blockbusters because cross-gen wasn't possible.  The new systems were that dramatically more powerful.

You mention "size", but that's really irrelivent to the tech.  FFXII was a "large" game, as were the PS2 GTA's.  Exclusive "large" games don't come out early in a gen because they take a lot of time, not tech.  The three "large" games you mentioned are on PS4 and One because they are ports of games that are also on PS360.

But if you want an example of an exclusive "large" game that was available at this time on last gen, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.  Or Bioshock.  And depending on your judgement of the timeframe, we'd be about to get Mass Effect, Halo 3 and Super Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3 would already be eating up hours in your Wii.

Just to be clear, your whole argument on current gen beong off to a bad start is cause there are still cross platform games now?

If that is the case, I just wanna ask you what or how that affects a person that only owns a current gen console. I can understand that it means there are a lot of people that wouldn't need to make the jump to current gen, but for those that do, does it take away from how they enjoy a game cause someone else can play it on a last gen console?

You realize thats like saying a movie isn't good cause its not only available in HD.

no, it's nothing like that.

The OP stated that the generation is off to an incredible start, unlike last gen, and that Titanfall, Destiny and Watch-Dogs presented all-new experiences never before possible, the kind of thing he only dreamed of years ago.

My point is, the new gen is off to a slow start in terms of amazing new content, and that all of the games he mentioned aren't made possible by the new hardware since they are obviously available on the old hardware.

The OP has been waiting a long time for Destiny... but it was possible on PS360.

TheLastStarFighter said:

no, it's nothing like that.

The OP stated that the generation is off to an incredible start, unlike last gen, and that Titanfall, Destiny and Watch-Dogs presented all-new experiences never before possible, the kind of thing he only dreamed of years ago.

My point is, the new gen is off to a slow start in terms of amazing new content, and that all of the games he mentioned aren't made possible by the new hardware since they are obviously available on the old hardware.

The OP has been waiting a long time for Destiny... but it was possible on PS360.

ok, i understand you now.

And you are right, I still feel that for a current gen exclusive gamer you would be ok. Every cross platform game wil at least look and run better and in time the new stuff that can't be done on last gen will be here.

In truth though, I think we ae past the time in gaming where there will be certain things that can't be done at all in the previous gen. No matter how good the witcher 3 or assains creed unity looks, if they really wanted it on previous gen and were ready to gimp the hell outta it it they would still get it to run.