By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can Halo: MCC become the best-selling HD Collection ever?

?

Yes 98 50.52%

No 96 49.48%

Total:194
bubblegamer said:
Not going to happen. The size of the installbase doesn't help either.

you really think it can't sell 3m+ Life time?

Around the Network

V-r0cK said:

I never noticed but you must be right about that.  Looking at VGC sales of GoW 1,2, & 3  have sold just under 5m each.  Which looks like aroud 50% of GoW fans purchased the GoW HD collection.  Halo series games have sold much more than the GoW series so I wonder if even 30% of the Halo fans will step up and grab the MCC as well.

This is a bit old... March 2012 figures * end of FY2011 *.

ethomaz said:

shikamaru317 said:

You underestimate Halo's selling power if you don't think it can reach an attach rate of 37-42% at release, when most core Xbox fans are also Halo fans. Afterall, Titanfall reached a 32% attach rate 3 weeks after it released despite releasing on 2 other platforms, and Halo: MCC is a full exclusive.

Titanfall = new game... are you really suggesting me to compare a new game with a HD Collection in terms of sales? The potential of a new game is way higher than a collection.

Gears did 40% attach rate at launch.

The most close to MCC you have to compararison is Halo: CE... it did well maybe 2% attach rate at launch.

you cant compare mcc to halo cea as halo cea was just the campign and a map pack for reach

God of War HD pack on PS4 would sell a ton obviously. I also think a Gears of War pack for X1 would also do well considering the size of the install base.

Halo MCC is not going to move substantial console sales though. If it were ready on launch last year, or even this summer, it could have done really well (drought of other releases). But this fall, there's too much going on in terms of actual new games. A TON of the previous Halo fans who already bought the XB1 might buy it for nostalgia reasons and the Halo 5 beta, but then again, a LOT of those players migrated to COD over the years, and COD:AW is coming out in the same holiday window.

I'd say MCC's wider success has to ride on AW's failure. If AW sinks, MCC has a shot. If AW is a resurgence of fresh air and excellence to COD, then .. MCC will be stuck with the most hardcore Halo fanbase who already have the system.

shikamaru317 said:

Like I said, you're underestimating Halo. It's one of only a few exclusive series to have a game that sold over 10m, and one of only a few exclusive series to have a game with a lifetime attach rate over 33% (without the aid of heavy bundling). Halo as a series is every bit as big as Titanfall, if not bigger, and Halo: MCC is exclusive to Xbox One unlike Titanfall (the individual games in Halo: MCC are available on 360, except for Halo 2 Anniversary, but not the remastered versions).

Just go look at the preorders on Amazon, it's been the most preordered Holiday release every month on Amazon since E3 except for this month (where only SSB 3DS and Pokemon AS & OR are ranked higher). Gamestop's charts have shown similar positions for Halo: MCC.

Another example of the likely success of Halo: MCC is the fact that Halo CE Anniversary has sold 2.26 million despite not having a proper multiplayer mode. Halo: MCC has 4 games, each with their multiplayer modes, plus access to the Halo 5 beta and a digital miniseries, and for only $20 more than Halo CE Anniversary was at release. Do you really think that Halo: MCC won't easily top Halo: CE Anniversary's launch sales and lifetime sales?

Titanfall is a new game and MCC a re-release is yet the key point... you can't compare them... Titanfall is compared with Gears.

MCC is not even in the TOP100 in Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar, that mean less than:

#85 Watch Dogs (Xbox One)
#94 Need for Speed: Rivals (PS4)
#97 Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
#99 South Park: The Stick of Truth (360)

It is early preorders and it will get better close to release but you can see how houly means nothing

Halo CE had a userbase of 80 million to sell 2.26 million... MCC not.

Around the Network

This is gonna sound strange but I kinda hope not, I'd rather people get Sunset instead (those that buy few games)

shikamaru317 said:

The point you're missing is that the value of this particular collection exceeds the value of most new games, Titanfall included, at least in the eyes of core Xbox fans.

The game has only been available for preorder 3 months out of the 9 on the yearly chart. Also, no other Holiday releases have achieved enough preorders to make the yearly chart so far except for SSB 3DS, which is closer to release than Halo: MCC. Like I said, the fact remains that Halo MCC has been the single most preordered Holiday release on Amazon since every month since it was announced.

Now you're overestimating the importance of userbase. Much of the 360's 80 million userbase are casuals who don't really care about core games like Halo. Core Xbox fans are the most likely type of gamers to have bought an Xbox One already (or will buy one by the end of the year), and most core Xbox fans are also Halo fans. By the end of the year most of the gamers who have previously bought the earlier Halo games will own an Xbox One, with only a few people who have moved on from Halo (and possibly switched to PS4) and a few people waiting for Halo 5 not owning an Xbox One. 

Again.. Titanfall is a new game... MCC is a re-release... value don't matter in this case because you know MGS HD Collection excceeded the value of most of new games.

You want a montly breakdown?

June: #14
July: #52
August: out TOP100
September: out TOP100

A lot of holiday releases have charted better than MCC... you are not underdestanding the Amazon chartz.

What overstimating userbase base means? I'm using only objective facts... how can I be overstimating or understimating?

PS. Well November NPD will show to us

It will be interesting to see how the Halo franchise does in the 2014+ era. I think there are both people who overly minimize the brand, and those who put far too much faith in it.

Let's look at the surrounding circumstances over time :

Halo 1 : basically the first MP FPS on console outside of Goldeneye with a budget and advertising/hype. High attach rate on the console, as there was not much else available on the OG Xbox for a while of AAA caliber.

Halo 2 : pretty much the same, but now an established brand after the buildup from H1.

Halo 3 : launched on an extremely popular console and with tons of hype. The last Halo to launch before COD franchise began exploding in popularity with MW.

Halo ODST/Reach : cash-in material with solid sales, but didn't set new records despite higher install base.

Halo 4 : Despite a dramatically higher install base compared to Halo 3 launch date, still couldn't hit the same numbers. Impressive numbers to be sure, but a bit less so when factoring in everything. Much of this can be attributed to players being lost to the COD franchise for their competitive MP fix.

------

So now comes MCC, a remake bundle (a true bargain for interested parties really), but it's not releasing on the leading console. It's being released in an environment full of competing FPS franchises and on a struggling platform. Whereas the 360 enjoyed respectable popularity in Europe and dominated the US (this is not the Wii crowd we're talking about here obviously), the XBO is dead in Europe and a solid distant 2nd in the US. Halo 4's attach rate was already severely lowered from Halo 3's, indicating a definite decline in the franchise.

In the end I think MCC be a solid success DESPITE the XBO, but only on it's own terms.

It will not move substantial hardware, unless :

Halo MCC Bundle $349 or less. I think that would move respectably. The $499 COD bundle is idiotically priced.

shikamaru317 said:

You're looking at the monthly charts but you screwed up on August and September.

June: #14
July: #52
August: #32
September: #53

Now go back and look for games that release in October, November, or December. In June no Holiday releases are ranked higher than Halo. In July Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD is the only Holiday release ranked higher (I missed this one earlier) and I believe July was the month that Amazon first listed KH 2.5 HD for preorder. In August SSB 3DS is the only Holiday release ranked higher than Halo: MCC, and it is closer to release than Halo MCC. In September SSB 3DS and Pokemon AS & OR are the only Holiday releases ranked higher. I actually did miss some games when I was scanning the list earlier, but among Holiday releases Halo: MCC is ranked #1, #2, #2, and #3 each month so far. That averages out to 2. Of those games that I listed which have topped Halo: MCC in certain months, Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD is unranked in June, #1 in July, #4 in August, and #6 in September, which averages out to 3.6. SSB 3DS is unranked in June, #4 in July, #1 in August, and #1 in September, which averages out to 2. Pokemon AS & OR is unranked in June, unranked in July, #6 in August, and #1 in September, which averages out to 3.5. That means that Halo: MCC is actually tied with SSB 3DS for most preordered Holiday 2014 exclusive during those 3 months, despite SSB 3DS being closer to release.

I don't know why I missed Aug/Sep I was looking for Halo with the browser search in all pages.

Halo cea did 2.24 million with no hype. It didn't have a beta and it's multiplayer was basically just dlc for reach. Most my halo friends didn't get it. But this time around there is a lot of hype. 4 games vs 1. 4 different mp's vs dlc for the least liked mp for halo. I honestly don't think the install base matters at all.
Last time almost nobody cared, this time if ur a halo fan ur getting this.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.