By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes: Retail Hallucinations And The Pointlessness Of Owning A PlayStation 4 or Xbox One

chocoloco said:
noname2200 said:
spurgeonryan said:

R

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are the first game consoles designed for no purpose other than to keep consumers from drifting away out of boredom, repackaging boredom with expensive gilding to make it seem like a new thought.

Ouch.

Smh Nintendo only gamer.

No offense to Nintendo, but claiming that PS4/XB1 are nothing new yet convinently leaving out the Wii U, screams Hypocrisy, because essentially the Wii U is what other gamers had 9 years ago minus the touchpad.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Jazz2K said:
I agree with the article. One of the first things you notice on these new gen consoles is that they bring nothing new gaming wise except for better resolution and finer graphics.

Don't buy it?

If you bought a console now, not knowing what being an Early Adopter meant, then I can't even begin to feel sorry for you.

That's like complaining about the lack of fireworks for Independence Day on June 28th.

Are consoles imune to criticism now? How do you think things improve in life if we all start to just shut our mouth and ask no improvements? It's nice to have a new generation that brings a new leap especialy if it is gameplay wise. Just because I think they don't bring much except for new graphics doesn't mean I think they are bad and shouldn't be bought. I just think right now it's much of the same formula we had last gen. I know people can't see past their nose but I really want the new techs to show us what they can do now that they couldn't last gen starting with physics and AI. But whatever seems like improving is wrong ehh...

Jazz2K said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Jazz2K said:
I agree with the article. One of the first things you notice on these new gen consoles is that they bring nothing new gaming wise except for better resolution and finer graphics.

Don't buy it?

If you bought a console now, not knowing what being an Early Adopter meant, then I can't even begin to feel sorry for you.

That's like complaining about the lack of fireworks for Independence Day on June 28th.

Are consoles imune to criticism now? How do you think things improve in life if we all start to just shut our mouth and ask no improvements? It's nice to have a new generation that brings a new leap especialy if it is gameplay wise. Just because I think they don't bring much except for new graphics doesn't mean I think they are bad and shouldn't be bought. I just think right now it's much of the same formula we had last gen. I know people can't see past their nose but I really want the new techs to show us what they can do now that they couldn't last gen starting with physics and AI. But whatever seems like improving is wrong ehh...

valid criticism is worth considering. Complaining about a problem that not only plagues most generations of console, but can easily be disredited by waiting a year is jut complaining to complain. How in the hell would the fact that its a new generation of consoles mean that suddenly game play would change at all, that is up to the games, not the consoles which are literally just more powerful versions of their predecessors. If a games newness is such a concern for you that you have a problem with the lack of newness in them then don't buy the games we have right now.

How the hell is it Microsoft's fault, that Bungie didn't make Destiny up to your ridiculous expectations.

If you really think that the new hardware just spawns innovation out of thin air, then you really need to get a gaming PC.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Every time an article talk about the doom of consoles ,consoles prove it's not true and every time consoles prove it's not dying doom article come back

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Jazz2K said:

valid criticism is worth considering. Complaining about a problem that not only plagues most generations of console, but can easily be disredited by waiting a year is jut complaining to complain. How in the hell would the fact that its a new generation of consoles mean that suddenly game play would change at all, that is up to the games, not the consoles which are literally just more powerful versions of their predecessors. If a games newness is such a concern for you that you have a problem with the lack of newness in them then don't buy the games we have right now.

How the hell is it Microsoft's fault, that Bungie didn't make Destiny up to your ridiculous expectations.

If you really think that the new hardware just spawns innovation out of thin air, then you really need to get a gaming PC.

Edit: Never mind, waste of time. 

I'm not even sure you would understand what I mean because you seem to want to prove me wrong anyway. Maybe I should've phrased that differently but my point still stands. I already got a gaming PC  just so you know, doesn't mean I will mainly play on it.

And where the hell does Destiny comes in all of this? I have a gaming PC and frankly I game anywhere I want really. 

Around the Network

Didn't everyone say the same about the 360 in its first year? He's jumped the gun a bit me thinks. Let's wait til games aren't cross gen before deciding.

Working with the 360 and ps3 was always part of the plan for Destiny so they worked within those limitations. I think Forza Horizon 2 and Drive Club will probably be the first two games that really start to show the generational gap.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I've long thought the real issue has never been hardware and technical limitations. It's the context within which games are developed. New hardware will never change publishers and developers being samey with a new coat of paint. The funny thing is people call that risk averse. The exponentially increasing cost of that new coat of paint is the largest risk and cost facing gaming today.

I don't see any games on consoles in the near term or far future that will change my opinion and interest me in jumping on board either. With few notable exceptions I think the P360 library is and was utter shit. A fresh coat of paint isn't gonna polish a turd.

I think indies becoming more prominent is helping push the new ideas without bank breaking budgets again. But you have not not be after state of the art graphics for that, and really there's no reason the older consoles can't run these games. But at the same time, much better specs, allows less experienced (but highly creative) developers get their games running decently (i.e. don't require lots of fine tuning for decent frame rates).

More power is never a bad thing, expecting that 100% of everything is maxed out on every game is where things go wrong.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Jazz2K said:

Edit: Never mind, waste of time. 

I'm not even sure you would understand what I mean because you seem to want to prove me wrong anyway. Maybe I should've phrased that differently but my point still stands. I already got a gaming PC  just so you know, doesn't mean I will mainly play on it.

And where the hell does Destiny comes in all of this? I have a gaming PC and frankly I game anywhere I want really. 

What is with people's obsession with being right all the time on this site?

Can you not fathom that people disagree with you?

Did I ever say you were wrong? No. Because I recognize that this is your opinion, and this is my opinion.

Destiny was just an example, FYI, I can mention any 1st year current gen game and it would fit the bill.

Furthermore, seeing how PCs are generationless, it should be more than obvious that new tech doesn't mean new game experieces, Crytek isn't going to make Crysis 4 when you get a new GPU to support it. You can standby your point all day, but it a naive and unrealistic complaint about a "New Generation not having new gameplay" is quite ludicrous, unless you play Consoles instead of Games.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
chocoloco said:
noname2200 said:
spurgeonryan said:

R

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are the first game consoles designed for no purpose other than to keep consumers from drifting away out of boredom, repackaging boredom with expensive gilding to make it seem like a new thought.

Ouch.

Smh Nintendo only gamer.

No offense to Nintendo, but claiming that PS4/XB1 are nothing new yet convinently leaving out the Wii U, screams Hypocrisy, because essentially the Wii U is what other gamers had 9 years ago minus the touchpad.

Objectively speaking I suspect the Wii U got left out for two reasons: 1) as you yourself posted it does offer something very different* than its predecessors, which easily defeats your claim of "hypocrisy,"** and 2) no one cares about the Wii U.

P.S. My original comment wasn't an endorsement of the article's thesis. I just thought the quoted line was particularly cutting.

*Way worse, but inarguably different

**Seriously though, where is that even coming from? It reeks of insecurity at best, and an inability to grasp a basic point at worst. The sole thing the Wii U has in common with nine-year old systems is its horsepower. And if that's all that matters to you when analyzing a system, well...there won't be any point in continuing this discussion, so good day.

MikeRox said:

Didn't everyone say the same about the 360 in its first year? He's jumped the gun a bit me thinks. Let's wait til games aren't cross gen before deciding.

Working with the 360 and ps3 was always part of the plan for Destiny so they worked within those limitations. I think Forza Horizon 2 and Drive Club will probably be the first two games that really start to show the generational gap.

This is a better counterargument to the article than those which have been posted. The games will likely become more graphically impressive, and in short order to boot. I do believe there is some merit to the argument made, but it's both exaggerated and poorly argued.