By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Consumers ruined Killzone!

What really ruined KZ for me is the over - saturation of shooters in the market so in essence I do agree. The launch of KZ3 got me hype but I waited to borrow the game cause I didn't think it was worth a purchase.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
kekrot said:
Killzone 2 had the most brown and gray colors I've ever seen in a game, but I loved it because it was so well executed. Never finished the game, but I remember the heavy controls very well. I liked that aspect too. I tried the demo of Killzone 3, and while it was fun, I missed a little of the heavier controls.

Playing Shadow Fall right now actually, and think it's great. I'm not the best fps player, and I die a lot, even on easy. Killzone 2 was much easier even with the heavy controls. But it's still fun, and I feel awesome when I clear an area of enemies, that's how hard I think it is. The graphics are terrific too.

If you were having war in Iraq

It would be expected to have a brow/grey pallete... and since most war places get scorched and dust I actually find it strange expecting collorfull pallete on a war zone.

Even if the cenario is a jungle/subdeveloped country.

Don't misunderstand me, I didn't say I didn't like the graphics. I just wanted to add that I've never seen a game that contains as much use of brown and gray colors than Killzone 2 and that's completely fine, an achievement. But it didn't feel generic. It felt like a coherent package. I have nothing bad to say about the graphics. It's also very dark, which makes it even more immersive.

Yep.

JinxRake said:
MoHasanie said:
I played a bit of Shadow fall and didn't like it. Guerilla Games is just an average studio.

Thank you for your well informed and thoroughly thought out reply. Truly inspiring stuff.

To be fair, I agree with it more than the OP.

Blaming consumers for a series becoming mediocre? That's ridiculous.

When RE6 turned out crappy I didn't blame consumers. I blamed Capcom for making a game they thought consumers want.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I dont get your logic walsufnir.
killzone was affected.
those games, are what k illzone haters were basing their comparisons on.
why would those have changed??

theprof00 said:
killzone was affected.

You imply that customers of other consoles have so much power that they even can ruin a game on the other system. But games on the other systems also have games they are hated for (especially Halo used to get a lot of hate) and if they turn bad or would've get ruined I would never say it's because of people who don't own the system. They wouldn't buy the game anyway.

Around the Network

Blame the developers and not the consumers. If developers just looked on their forums at what their fanbase wanted they wouldn't do this kinda stuff to appeal to casuals.

walsufnir said:
theprof00 said:
killzone was affected.

You imply that customers of other consoles have so much power that they even can ruin a game on the other system. But games on the other systems also have games they are hated for (especially Halo used to get a lot of hate) and if they turn bad or would've get ruined I would never say it's because of people who don't own the system. They wouldn't buy the game anyway.

I actually think it was pressure from Sony: "hey man.. look.. we give you millions to make these games, most expensive games in our playstation family.. you should be making CoD numbers.. They prove there is a FPS audience on the playstation.. make it happen"

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:

I actually think it was pressure from Sony: "hey man.. look.. we give you millions to make these games, most expensive games in our playstation family.. you should be making CoD numbers.. They prove there is a FPS audience on the playstation.. make it happen"

This.

If Sony was happy with the numbers they wouldn't have changed it up so much.

Look at other Sony franchises like Gran Turismo, God of War, and Uncharted. They kept changes to a minimum because they sold great.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

elazz said:

With the high anticipation of Guerilla's next game, codenamed Horizon, everyone is hoping for something new and fresh from the studio mostly knowed by the Killzone franchise.

Killzone Shadowfall wasn't the game it could have been, especially the Singleplayer wasn't that good beside the graphical aspect. The multiplayer and co-op experiences are very good though but that is because of the continous support with huge updates in gameplay, content and features. Still at its current state it is a solid game but it could have been a lot better if it wasn't for the consumers.

It all started with Killzone 2. That game received massive praise, sold the best in the franchise (around 3 million units) and was a graphical master piece. It scored a 91 on metacritic and a lot people consider the game not only the best in the franchise but the best shooter ever. And in my opinion it still is. However I remember very well at the time people were flaming, getting annoyed and always trashing the game because of two things: The color pallet/design and more importantly the gameplay while these two things made Killzone. The combination of a gritty world and heavy controls (as if you really wore 40kg outfit) made you feel as if you were really in a futuristic war.

And both things have been adressed that should have stayed in the following games. The heavy feeling of movement and the gritty colors in the world. People demanded color, variety in gameplay with more guns, customizations and easier to use movement in a faster paced game and that is what ruined the franchise, ruined by the people with big mouths who didn't plan to buy the sequels anyway. And I still blame the gamers, the consumers of making my favorite franchise like most others. Nothing special. Guerilla gave in and in Killzone 3 they added new areas (not that interesting) full with color and easier, more BF like gameplay and with KZ SF even more. So instead of building upon the story they were spending time and effort addressing things that were perfect in KZ2 (AI, gameplay, level design etc.).

Therefore I think it will be very good to see how Horizon is going to change the RPG and I am eager to see more. And I'm still in for a remake of Killzone 2!

I do agree with this. Killzone has lost much of it's uniqueness as a gritty and heavy shooter.

I loved the all of the games and Platinum'd all except KZ2 (including KZ:Merc). The fight up to the entrance of Visari's palace in K2 was especially memorable, i felt like i was fighting for every inch. Each game progressively has gotten more mainstream, less focussed and less gritty. I hope they make another KZ:Merc, I liked the art style of the KZ2 and I can only see that carrying on in Merc.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3