By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft buying Minecraft for $2.5B has to be the biggest gaming news of 2014!

Ssenkahdavic said:
I wonder if they will build the next version of Windows in Minecraft....

That's like giving them the ground workd and then make them build their own programs and work their way up.

Around the Network

Yeah I guess so.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I would say the Oculus deal might be equally big as this within the gaming sphere, but this has caught the eyes of alot of people that are casual gamers or parents of gamers. Those people have never heard of Oculus but most know of Minecraft.

WhiteEaglePL said:
I have to disagree, the biggest gaming news is the October 3rd release date of Smash.

#BestDayOfTheYearMaybe.

wish that was the release of the WiiU version :(  Damn late November 

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Comparing Mojang to Rare is like comparing Call of Duty to Wolfenstein 3D or Doom, one has a bigger legacy and the other are a pack of casuals who managed to create and overrated mainstream title compared to the latter, who created legendary games from older times (Goldeneye 007, Banjo Kazooie, Conkers, and the older Donkey Kong Country games). Also, $2.5 billion dollars, well then, my only words to express that is...

Now if you'll excuse, off to play some more Diablo 3, Destiny, and Minecr, I mean, Goat Simulator....

Around the Network

Personally to me the biggest news was the New 3DS. I would say Amazon buying Twitch as a huge thing too. The funny thing is the news would have been more impactful to me if Sony wasn't going to get Minecraft anymore. As for those thinking that the could turn into another Rare, no. That won't happen. They just have one major franchise. Its not something they can screw up and they have all the people their except Notch behind the curtains. They are in good hands.

it is a good move if they make it console exclusive to X1 ,why wouldn't they

^ They want to get some of that 2.5 billion back.

It's big news but like most, I'm shocked by the sum.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

i mean just don't sell it on playstation but everywhere else,i don't even know,do people play minecraft on phones

Slarty said:
The Fury said:

i mean just don't sell it on playstation but everywhere else,i don't even know,do people play minecraft on phones

Current 60k copies a week on disc and thousands more as download all lost revenue in an instant? I doubt they will. The company that made this purchase was Microsoft, not the Xbox division. This purchase would have had to go through the board, many of whom do not like Xbox Division. Skype is MS and available on iPod, Android and Vita.

Minecraft is not a console seller, just something nice to have.

Hmm, pie.