By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - August 2014 NPD Thread! PS4 - 190k, XBO - 160k, Wii U < 60k, PSV < 6k

Madden selling most on PS4 is crazy! I expected it to sell more on Xbox 360.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
thismeintiel said:

Why are you explaining to me why the 360 took US?  I thought the explaination for numbers was not allowed?  Or is that only when it doesn't help your argument?  Darn all these rules.  Of course, if you want a real answer, your 250K number means nothing.  It's just one you made up and found to fit your argument.  BTW, do you have the numbers that prove the PS2 and Wii always sold that much?  And what is your cut off period, cause the Wii started to somewhat poorly over much of the year, only to get huge boosts during the holiday season.  I also bet if you had the numbers for the NES, the SNES, and the PS1, neither of them were consistently over 250K.

Even if those two did sell over 250K for the first 2-3 years, there are reasons why.  The PS2 was the follow up to the successful PS1 and had no competition for over a year.  The Wii was a phenomenom that mostly sold because of the game it was packaged with, but began to rapidly drop YOY after 2-3 years.  The PS4 is not either of these.  However, it is still going to take this gen and by quite a lot.  It's sales pattern in the US will most likely mirror that of the 360.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the One and PS4 swapped positions/numbers that their predecessors held.  PS4 will take EU even more handidly than the PS3 did, since the One is basically dead there.  Japan will see a rise in sales once the games start hitting, but probably won't match last gen's numbers.  Though, China and some of the newer territories will make up for that.

Now your just being silly ... it isn't just some number that I made up to crap on the all so mighty PS4. It is actually a golden standard for leading platforms past 5th generation. As for PS2 we only have solid monthly data past 2001 Q2 from NPD and it shows the PS2 breezing through 300K easily like a leading platform is supposed to compared to the PS4. There are some issues with 2001 October and 2001 Q2 but those months are most likely attributed to supply issues rather than demand much like the WII scenario. The cut off period is after 3 years seeing as that's usually when a console loses it's momentum so it's reasonable to expect the platform to lose some wind. This standard wouldn't work on 5th generation and before cause it's obvious that the market was much smaller at the time but since 6th and 7th had over 160+ million customers that's certainly a realistic expectation. 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10423

Doesn't matter if the PS4 has competition. If the competition is weak (X1/WII U) then you may as well consider it as no competition at all. Being a successor to a leading console doesn't make anyone win. Just go take a look at the N64/PS3. Mirroring the sales of pattern of the xbox 360 in North America is fairly meh compared to previous market leaders

Now who's being silly? In the case of the Xbox One, that weaknesses is far more pronounced in the wider markets, the U.S isn't quite as lopsided. The gap between them, this month in particular, isn't so large that they 'aren't competition,' not by a long shot, and it combined with the Wii U actually take more than half of the total current gen console sales this month. (Again, in the U.S.) you are literally claiming that without those two consoles, that extra 230k sales would, what, vanish into the ether? That not even a quarter of those who bought an Xbox One or a Wii U this month would, with no Wii U or Xbox One to choose, opt for a PS4 rather than buying nothing at all? Care to explain why?

The claim that having two competitors make the PS4's situation no different then the PS2's when it had, literally, zero equivalent generation competition that summer, is ridiculous and just lazy thinking.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Conegamer said:
Well this thread escalated quickly...

Could someone provide a summary of the numbers released so far? Looks like all of the big three home consoles would be around 10k overtracked, and Vita sales are just depressing.

Not too bad VGC. But obviously we can't be sure because we don't have the last week!

It means as I suspected that WiiU isn't anywhere near XB1 levels WW.

Europe will not be higher than US, so the two combined are around 120k (plus 35k from Japan) ..

XB1 is selling more in the US than WiiU is WW imo.

Can anyone link me to the breakdown of those hardware numbers? Thanks

Seece said:
Conegamer said:
Well this thread escalated quickly...

Could someone provide a summary of the numbers released so far? Looks like all of the big three home consoles would be around 10k overtracked, and Vita sales are just depressing.

Not too bad VGC. But obviously we can't be sure because we don't have the last week!

It means as I suspected that WiiU isn't anywhere near XB1 levels WW.

Europe will not be higher than US, so the two combined are around 120k (plus 35k from Japan) ..

XB1 is selling more in the US than WiiU is WW imo.

Yeah the Wii-U is definitely even less popular in Europe than in the U.S. I wonder what the real gap WW is right now. And to think there are still people that think Nintendo can hold on to second place.

Around the Network
AnthonyW86 said:

Yeah the Wii-U is definitely even less popular in Europe than in the U.S. I wonder what the real gap WW is right now. And to think there are still people that think Nintendo can hold on to second place.

Because obviously a generation is won after 2 or even 1 year(s).

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

fatslob-:O said:
taus90 said:

LOL!! Feel sad for people who are trying to make an valid argument with you.

Point out the lie, otherwise you have no case ... 

Its not techinically a "lie" but you are basing your entire argument based on a preconcieved notions eg. down playing effects of competition, xbox one and wii u as completely non existence.. as if they werent around PS4 would have still sold at the same rate and not crossed ur superficial minimum 250k monthly demand. So u see its techincally not a "lie"

Turkish said:
Can anyone link me to the breakdown of those hardware numbers? Thanks

This what you're looking for?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129626711&postcount=2036

RealGamingExpert said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Because obviously a generation is won after 2 or even 1 year(s).

No because Wii-U hade a one year head start and is running out of big exclusives while Xbox One barely has hade any big games yet. Not to mention all the third party games Xbox One will get that Wii-U won't. As you can see it only took one third party sports game to leave the Wii-U in the dust.

Oh Sony. Ship some damn Vita's to the USA!

NISA; XSEED Aksys & IFI don't deserve this. They're trying and yet there's no consoles for anyone to actually buy.

Aside from that, pretty damn decent for PS4. Surprised that Madden sold better on it than XB1 even counting the bundles.

XB1 is getting there. It's going to at least put up a fight. But it doesn't seem like the tides are turning any time soon.

Not a fantastic month for Nintendo though.