By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One Japanese Launch Week: 23k Sold

GamechaserBE said:
CGI-Quality said:
Ka-pi96 said:

That's actually alright

For you to consider that alright, you either a) had the lowest expectations to begin with or b) are in serious denial about the bleak situation there. Twenty-three thousand is horrendous, even for Xbox

Also we had plenty of threads where people reported that nobody was waiting in line for a Xbox one and that the situation was very dramatic....We even got articles with only one guy buying a Xbox one in a store so ofcourse people expect low numbers;...Check the Xbox empire thread and you will find no one who would even predict 20K FW....  

Honestly Xbox one did a lot better than I think everyone expected, I think I had the highest predicition with 40K sold first MONTH.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=189637&page=1#

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=189538&page=1#

Both those threads contain numerous (read majority) of predictions above 23k, so there is plenty of people right there that expected more.  

Honestly, I have no idea why MS chose to release the XB1 in Japan now instead of waiting until some more Japan-centric games were available. The PS4 isn't steaming away in sales over there, so it wasn't like they had to rush the launch to limit the PS4's momentum or anything. They've waited this long, another 6 months is unlikely to have hurt them, and might have allowed them to launch with some appealing games. 

Around the Network

Next up, the European regions. Have we got a chalkboard here?

The PS5 Exists. 

Embarassingly bad but expected.

Since we still don't have sales data from August 30, we can surely say that starting this week XOne global sales will not be below WiiU any more.

I commend them for trying, but ultimately this seems like a waste of time. Just over half of what VitaTV sold at launch, and that's been managing ~ 1.1k / wk baseline (with some actual games releasing for it).

So maybe half of that for XB1? And with nothing promising on the horizon (other than eventual KH3/FFXV), I don't see things getting any better.

Sad. Although I hated the timed exclusivity of many slightly-lower-tier JRPG's during last generation, it was a sign they wanted to make a dent in this market. They just don't care anymore (although admittedly, the tier of games that they bought exclusivity for last generation has long since vanished).

Around the Network

Just poor. No matter how you put it. MS should just leave japan now

Ouch!!! That's low. I'm not an xbox owner but I feel bad for Microsoft. Japan and the rest of asia are into mobile gaming and Asian products (sony and Nintendo). China will be the xbox last chance in the region.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

23K! Guess that's the reason the X1 is not getting Destiny,Batman etc

Woah... Literally, as soon as the launch dust settles, it'll probably only be selling in the 3 digit range... Considering this is probably MS's strongest tier 2 country, it probably isn't doing any better anywhere else... Won't change the baseline much, that's for sure. It all falls on China now. Hopefully Sony finally launches there soon to compete.

On a side note, I remember a certain user making a snide remark about PS4's initial Japan sales being bad because they were looking foward to XBone's release. Oh where is he when he need him most? XD

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

CGI-Quality said:
Ka-pi96 said:
CGI-Quality said:

For you to consider that alright, you either a) had the lowest expectations to begin with or b) are in serious denial about the bleak situation there. Twenty-three thousand is horrendous, even for Xbox.

It's Xbox in Japan. After the Tsutaya charts came out with no Xbox games on them people were saying figures like 4 or 5k. It isn't really good, but it could be so much worse.

As I said, even for Xbox, it's bad. Yes, the situation doesn't look good for any home console there (right now), but the 360 nearly trippled it (and in less time) and I won't even bring up the original Xbox. By comparison, the PS4 had the third highest console launch there (coming off of Sony's worst generation) and the WiiU wasn't too far behind the Wii.

I'm generally not so pessimistic, but there's just no way to spin it. Out of the gate, it is horrendous. 

When talking sales theres always a context though, compared to expectations, both from us and MS, its really not that bad. What were you expecting? For a japanese hardware launch 20k is obviously terrible but so has all of their other launches (120k, 60k)... in which case gauging it by general japan hardware standards is pointless, because xbox's have ever only had bad launches, so that goes without saying. 

If you're looking at the actual context of Xbox, this number is still on the lower side but not too distant from expectations or targets. The same same way a western game enters the japanese charts in the top 10 and we say "oh thats impressive" when infact it only sold 16k. We're obviously not talking in context of general Japanese software sales.

The orginal Xbox was an entirely new piece of hardware with no proven track record and a completely unknowable future, but a lot of exlcusives. Its sales at launch was respresentative of consumers willingness to try something new. Lets not forget that microsoft invested a lot into making this a system suitable in Japan at launch with Dead or Alive 3 and Jet Set Radio future being launch titles and exclusives, alongside Halo. We cannot simply ignore how seperate from the competition the Xbox was.

Xbox360: as things panned out out, the OG xbox obviously wasn't a hugely favoured system and inevitably this was reflected in sales at Xbox 360's launch. So with the arrival of the 360, we no longer had a new player in the game. We were looking at something that was quanitifiable and very western. Its almost inevitable that it sold barely half of the original xbox.

It obviously wasn't going sell more then the 360 that would be like berating the PS4 for not even approaching ps2 sales. The Xbox One is just continuing in the 360's legacy. Tie that in with a lower interest in home consoles and even less investment in Japanese games this time and strikes me that anyone would find these numbers shocking or out of characters.