By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are you tired of the older generation of gamers feeling superior?

There are some pretty good games in every generation.. i don't know the complain here.. my first console was the PS1 and was the one i enjoyed the most.. the industry back than i think was much more creative and had much more freedom

Today's company don't risk that much and we see a lot of similar games, but a lot was perfected since the old gens.

The risks today are much higher since the games costs a lot more to make, so a lot of games come in the "safe" way..

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
Ajax said:
Final Fantasy is one of the best examples of a series that has become easy to the point that it is no challenge anymore.

LOL based on what?  A lot of people say "Games are Easier" but honestly I don't really think they are.  If you actually go back and play those games that gave you trouble when you were little, you usually skull crush them.  We just used to suck!

No. New games can just be as difficult or more difficult. Not FF though. You cant go game over anymore.

I just finished FF3 again and i was using ethers and elixers in normal battles just to not go game over and lose an hour playing time. No auto-safe, no auto-heal, normal enemies who are strong and you need to prepare yourself for a new dungeon. No save points for extended periods sometimes. 

FF4's difficulty was actually turned down for the NA release. The PSX port is almost the same as the original Japanese though. But the loading times are killing. Later FFs almost need no grinding.

In old rpgs, it often takes a time to get from a save point to a boss. So you have to win the boss battle. You can be surprised by regular enemies being in bigger groups making you fight for your life all of a sudden or flee to not go game over and lose an hour playing time. In some games right now you respawn where you die. Right before your last battle. That completely destroys the tension of any battle. Why care if you die? You dont need to play half of the dungeon again to get there anyway. You might as well give your little cousin the first try with the boss.

''Hadouken!''

Wazowski said:
There are some pretty good games in every generation.. i don't know the complain here.. my first console was the PS1 and was the one i enjoyed the most.. the industry back than i think was much more creative and had much more freedom

Today's company don't risk that much and we see a lot of similar games, but a lot was perfected since the old gens.

The risks today are much higher since the games costs a lot more to make, so a lot of games come in the "safe" way..

Also a lot of the copying is spawned by the fact people more so usually go for one thing, then shun anything attempted as new. Why make a new game, when you can just rip off say GTA, and make money. When you see things like Wonderful 101 fail. And Splatoon be mocked, for example.

I'm probably an older gen gamer and I don't feel superior. If anything I envy the fact that the younger people start off with such amazing hardware.

The only thing that separates me as an older gamer are when people say a game like Watchdogs, Wolfenstien, etc. have horrible graphics or the graphics suck.

After playing on PS1, Saturn, and N64 - I haven't seen graphics that suck since. However, I have seen far too many game run poorly or have far too many jaggies.

Captain_Tom said:
Ajax said:
Final Fantasy is one of the best examples of a series that has become easy to the point that it is no challenge anymore.

LOL based on what?  A lot of people say "Games are Easier" but honestly I don't really think they are.  If you actually go back and play those games that gave you trouble when you were little, you usually skull crush them.  We just used to suck!

like Megaman and SMB?

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
Ajax said:
Captain_Tom said:

No. New games can just be as difficult or more difficult. Not FF though. You cant go game over anymore.

I just finished FF3 again and i was using ethers and elixers in normal battles just to not go game over and lose an hour playing time. No auto-safe, no auto-heal, normal enemies who are strong and you need to prepare yourself for a new dungeon. No save points for extended periods sometimes. 

FF4's difficulty was actually turned down for the NA release. The PSX port is almost the same as the original Japanese though. But the loading times are killing. Later FFs almost need no grinding.

In old rpgs, it often takes a time to get from a save point to a boss. So you have to win the boss battle. You can be surprised by regular enemies being in bigger groups making you fight for your life all of a sudden or flee to not go game over and lose an hour playing time. In some games right now you respawn where you die. Right before your last battle. That completely destroys the tension of any battle. Why care if you die? You dont need to play half of the dungeon again to get there anyway. You might as well give your little cousin the first try with the boss.

Resident Evil is a fantastic example of the way expectations in games have changed. Don't get me wrong, I thought RE4 was fantastic and actually really enjoyed RE5 in co-op online. Though they weren't exactly anything like the previous games.

A lot of the scare factor from Resident Evil actually came down to the fact that you had limited saves through the ink ribbons. Did you risk wasting one? Or did you plod into the next room having not saved for the past 2 hours and see what's in there first? Knowing that so much progress could be lost so easily really did help make things more intense.

The control scheme was also revolutionised by 4, to the point that it also removed some of the intensity.

Many people would now consider the mechanics from the earlier Resident Evil games outdated and archaic, but when those were lost, so too was a lot of the terror. The conflicts with enemies, became much more of a struggle, when struggling with the restrictive movement of forwards, backwards, left turn and right turn mapped to the pad with a turning circle rather than full analogue movement and straiffing.

But they actually were vital parts of what made Resident Evil, Resident Evil.

I also think an awful lot of diversity has been lost, though this isn't actually due to gamer tastes as some in there have said being so restrictive, it's much more down to the cut throat nature of the development budgets for games which are as technically accomplished as many demand (look at the hate towards indie on this very forum from many members). I think the 6th gen was probably the sweet spot here. It was the first point where we truly had 3D hardware to be able to realistically push developers visions, without being too cutting edge that the development budgets were sky high. There was also no dominating genre at this point, action and arcade games still had much more of a place in the market as big name releases.

Just for reference, I started gaming on the ZX Spectrum and have owned pretty much every other system since then at some point or another. So I don't just prefer the generation when I got into gaming, it just felt like the peak for me, but there's still plenty of great games out there now.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Older gamers (like me) remember every gaming innovation. Things that are common now were groundbreaking back when. Even the most mediocre game today would be goty material back when based on technical prowess alone. Did games get easier? Fuck yeah, they did. But they also have a ton more content and refined gameplay. I'm glad I don't have to spend months on a game only to reach level three and have to start over again.

Now, just to be clear, older gamers are superior--but only because we knew what it was like to go without the things you young whippersnappers take for granted. We experience what you're experiencing now AND we have experienced first hand what new gamers can only read about (until time travel comes out in 2018).

ICStats said:

I've been a gamer for almost 30 years and I disagree that today's games are easy.  Many old games used to be so simple that they could be completely mastered from start to finish. Today's games are usually complex, open ended, and difficult to master.

Let's not confuse bad controls with good difficulty. An example is NSMBU which is a challenging game due to classic controls which are restrictive and sloppy.  They're not intuitive for someone new to the game, so it's not surprising those teens had a hard time playing SMB for the first time.

Those games are quite tight and responsive. As for being intuitive press right, go right and so on. Those guys were completely gutted on the first Goomba and couldn't get the arc of the jumps down to save their life. Granted, it may have been selective editing and only showing the very first attempts.

Ajax said:
Captain_Tom said:
Ajax said:

I mean what you described sounds just like FFX

OP: No, I'm not bothered...