By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Today's Apple iPhone event is important for gaming, and more bad news for Nintendo

My parents own Smart Phones, they DON'T play Video Games. I own a smart phone, and I only have one game on it besides the one that are built in (Zynga Texas Hold' Em poker) and I rarely play that.

I tried to get into Mobile gaming, but the controlling for it is terrible. Downloaded Doom for mobile and played it, controls were horrible, couldn't get passed the 2nd level. Plus, how am I supposed to play Street Fighter on a mobile device?

Mobile devices are the plague of gaming. They are contributing to the simple minded syndrome that people are slowly turning into. Really, Flappy Bird is just about as simple minded as you can possibly get. How can someone just tap the screen and have fun??? Candy crush is another game that's just a rip off of Dr, Mario or Columns, and has people going crazy for their highest scores when it's all been done before. And, angry birds is another simplistic game, although humorous, but you can find superior games of them on any dedicated Handheld console.

Around the Network

Has anyone here ever played games on an iPhone before? My impression is that most of it would be shovelware casual stuff but I might be wrong.

KLAMarine said:
Has anyone here ever played games on an iPhone before? My impression is that most of it would be shovelware casual stuff but I might be wrong.

There's some very decent stuff on there among things which are really meant for touch controls or at least well suited for them, but whenever it's emulating a style that's suited to physical controls, it shows it's inadequacy and becomes frustrating. Gyro controls I also never liked (on smartphones and especially tablets at least). You gotta love the prices, though.

Euphoria14 said:
Kids play on tablets and smartphones now more than they do 3DS. People need to get with the times and understand that.

In the future this gap will only continue to grow.

Can't wait to put my iPhone6 on pre-order after todays announcement. Haven't updated my phone for almost 4 years. Still have a 4S.

You are single-handedly killing the handheld market. Thanks a lot.

LemonSlice said:

You gotta love the prices, though.

The prices are also whats killing the gaming scene on the handhelds beyond the odd few anomalies.

People don't want to spend money on anything and someone or other is going to make a free-knock off anything expensive and popular. There's no real security on the mobile front, not that indie shops of any kind aren't tainted by derivative garbage. The one thing handhelds provide is a gaming environment... and buttons.

Around the Network

>Polygon
>Ben kuchera
>The numbers point the way

LoL can we adopt a ban site system like neogaf?

Vena said:

LemonSlice said:

You gotta love the prices, though.

The prices are also whats killing the gaming scene on the handhelds beyond the odd few anomalies.

People don't want to spend money on anything and someone or other is going to make a free-knock off anything expensive and popular. There's no real security on the mobile front, not that indie shops of any kind aren't tainted by derivative garbage. The one thing handhelds provide is a gaming environment... and buttons.

You are absolutely right, the whole store is a mess, that's why I never browse it and learn about stuff from elsewhere. I wasn't thinking of "prices" like 1$ or free though, nor the constant sales. Best stuff I have was 5$-15$.

"You gotta love the prices" sounded very shortsighted, I agree.

No buttons, not really a gaming device. Sorry

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

OttoniBastos said:
>Polygon
>Ben kuchera
>The numbers point the way

LoL can we adopt a ban site system like neogaf?

Yes, let's add insiderp to the black list as well!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

NintendoPie said:
Euphoria14 said:
Kids play on tablets and smartphones now more than they do 3DS. People need to get with the times and understand that.

In the future this gap will only continue to grow.

Can't wait to put my iPhone6 on pre-order after todays announcement. Haven't updated my phone for almost 4 years. Still have a 4S.

You are single-handedly killing the handheld market. Thanks a lot.

Now, if you would so kindly show me how you are the one single handedly saving it. That or think before you speak next time.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!