By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dreamcast turns 15!

WolfpackN64 said:
Rafie said:
WolfpackN64 said:
I'm thinking about getting a Dreamcast, but I have no experiance whatsoever with SEGA's consoles. Any game recomendations?

It's worth to have in your collection. How would you acquire one, if I may ask? Ebay?

A local game store has 3, but he asks 150€ for one. I'm going to try to knock that price down to 60-70€. If not, i'll look on Ebay or Amazon

You will do much better on Ebay. I just sold a few they went between £20 and £30 (so under 45). I'd offer to sell you one, but shipping would be a pain outside the UK (I've still got a couple).

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
iceland said:
WolfpackN64 said:
I'm thinking about getting a Dreamcast, but I have no experiance whatsoever with SEGA's consoles. Any game recomendations?

Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, and Grandia 2 if you like JRPGs

Sonic Adventure 1&2 are classics although I don't feel like they've aged well

Crazy Taxi 1&2 are fun arcade games

There's a bunch of fighting games if you like those, like Marvel VS Capcom 2, Street fighter 3rd strike, and Soul Calibur

Jet Set/grind Radio and Shenmue might also interest you.

Can't go wrong with any of these. Arcade ports were near perfect which was an industry first and they all had extra padding. What genres do you enjoy? I used to have a complete PAL DC set so can help with suggestions :) I'd definitely recommend spending some time with the system.

Toy Commander was one of my favourites. I really wish there had been a sequel to that down the line. :(

I play a bit of everything. RPG's or JRPG's, Shooters, shmups and rail shooters, fighting games and beat 'em ups. I'm not that much of a collector, but the Dreamcast looks like a really interesting system and a part of gaming history.

WolfpackN64 said:
Rafie said:
WolfpackN64 said:

It's worth to have in your collection. How would you acquire one, if I may ask? Ebay?

A local game store has 3, but he asks 150€ for one. I'm going to try to knock that price down to 60-70€. If not, i'll look on Ebay or Amazon

I seen a few in eBay. They are REALLY pricey! WOW! I'm so glad I have mine. Good luck.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

MikeRox said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Rafie said:
WolfpackN64 said:

You will do much better on Ebay. I just sold a few they went between £20 and £30 (so under 45). I'd offer to sell you one, but shipping would be a pain outside the UK (I've still got a couple).

Depends on the shipping rates to Belgium ^^

Rafie said:

Don't forget Project Justice, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and Capcom Vs. SNK. There were so many. LOL The games you've listed is pretty much what made the Dreamcast.

There were sooo many fighting games for the Dreamcast in such a small amount of time xD

Around the Network

Dreamcast will be 15 years old.....in America. On November 27, it'll be 16 years old in Japan. Just saying that the Dreamcast is over 15 years old makes me feel really old.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

iceland said:
Rafie said:

Don't forget Project Justice, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and Capcom Vs. SNK. There were so many. LOL The games you've listed is pretty much what made the Dreamcast.

There were sooo many fighting games for the Dreamcast in such a small amount of time xD

Yes they were. I have most of them sitting right on my shelf even now. At one point I was buy 3 Dreamcast games every paycheck. I racked up some games.

Isn't it crazy how many incredible gems the Dreamcast had and it still faltered. Gosh I want Sega to enter into the console race. I know they can compete.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

WolfpackN64 said:

Skies of Arcadia

Grandia 2

Soul calibur

Soni Adventure 1+2

Crazy taxi

Jet set radio

Sega rally 2

Ikaruga

Soul reaver

MDK2

Metropolis street racer

Shenmue

Just to name a few, there are many more :)

WolfpackN64 said:

I play a bit of everything. RPG's or JRPG's, Shooters, shmups and rail shooters, fighting games and beat 'em ups. I'm not that much of a collector, but the Dreamcast looks like a really interesting system and a part of gaming history.

From those genres, I'd certainly give Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II a punt. Record of Lodoss War is also a pretty cool Diablo style RPG. Evoluion (and especially Evolution 2) are very mediocre, the sequel certainly isn't worth the price it fetches due to rarity in Europe. You will find actually it's cheaper to import US games which you can play with a DC-X disc than to get hold of the PAL versions.

Shooters, it was a bit before the dawn of console FPS games, but there is Soldier of Fortune which is a pretty decent port, then Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament and Sega's own Outtrigger. Fur Fighters is a very interesting TPS which almost feels like a RARE game.

Shmups is the genre Dreamcast really shines in. Japanese imports are needed for some of the best though (Ikaruga, Border Down, Zero Gunner 2, Under Defeat) but even in Europe there were some great ones including Bangai-O, Gunbird 2 (my personal favourite), GigaWing (the really technically impressive sequel got a  US release), Cannon Spike.

Rail Shooters you have House of the Dead 2, Confidential Mission and (again you have to import) Death Crimson Ox. There is also Virtua Cop 2 on the Sega Smash Pack (US) or as it's own release in Japan.

Fighting Games you're spoilt for choice. Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Virtua Fighter 3TB, Project Justice, Marvel Vs Capcom 1+2, Street Fighter 3rd Strike and my favourites (as I'm not big on beat em ups) are the PowerStone games. There's loads though, Plasma Sword, JoJo's Bizarre adventure, Tech Romancer.

Plenty for you to go at in there, if you like Fighting games, I'd definitely recommend grabbing an official Arcade stick (they are near arcade quality) with a heavy metal base and nice clicky buttons.

Spoilt for choice, I can't believe this system was on the market for less than 2 years in the West.

I've not even mentioned what I personally consider the best Dreamcast games above, as for me, Jet Set Radio, Toy Commander, Sonic Adventure, Metropolis Street Racer and Phantasy Star Online were the top 5.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Puppyroach said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Skies of Arcadia

Grandia 2

Soul calibur

Soni Adventure 1+2

Crazy taxi

Jet set radio

Sega rally 2

Ikaruga

Soul reaver

MDK2

Metropolis street racer

Shenmue

Just to name a few, there are many more :)

Throw in: ChuChu Rocket!, Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future, and Power Stone

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata