By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dreamcast turns 15!

Nah, I had to wait til October 1999 because I live in the third world, also known as Europe.

But the system was first released in November 1998. We did have a health import scene back then, but alas as a poor 15 year old school kid, I was too poor to import one. First console I bought out of my own money, unless you count the Sega Saturn I got for £30 a few months earlier haha, those really were the days. Good luck finding a PS3 for £30 month's before the PS4 launched.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Well even though it didnt' sell well it certainly created a legacy like no other! May the Dreamcast live long in our hearts!

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

MikeRox said:

Nah, I had to wait til October 1999 because I live in the third world, also known as Europe.

But the system was first released in November 1998. We did have a health import scene back then, but alas as a poor 15 year old school kid, I was too poor to import one. First console I bought out of my own money, unless you count the Sega Saturn I got for £30 a few months earlier haha, those really were the days. Good luck finding a PS3 for £30 month's before the PS4 launched.

It was only released in 98 in Japan everywhere else 99, since I am not in Japan it is the 15th birthday for me

WolfpackN64 said:
I'm thinking about getting a Dreamcast, but I have no experiance whatsoever with SEGA's consoles. Any game recomendations?

Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, and Grandia 2 if you like JRPGs

Sonic Adventure 1&2 are classics although I don't feel like they've aged well

Crazy Taxi 1&2 are fun arcade games

There's a bunch of fighting games if you like those, like Marvel VS Capcom 2, Street fighter 3rd strike, and Soul Calibur

Jet Set/grind Radio and Shenmue might also interest you.

so it's 15 globally in the US? :D

Around the Network
MikeRox said:

Yes but not globally in JP

iceland said:
WolfpackN64 said:
I'm thinking about getting a Dreamcast, but I have no experiance whatsoever with SEGA's consoles. Any game recomendations?

There's a bunch of fighting games if you like those, like Marvel VS Capcom 2, Street fighter 3rd strike, and Soul Calibur

Don't forget Project Justice, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and Capcom Vs. SNK. There were so many. LOL The games you've listed is pretty much what made the Dreamcast.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

iceland said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Can't go wrong with any of these. Arcade ports were near perfect which was an industry first and they all had extra padding. What genres do you enjoy? I used to have a complete PAL DC set so can help with suggestions :) I'd definitely recommend spending some time with the system.

Toy Commander was one of my favourites. I really wish there had been a sequel to that down the line. :(

Rafie said:
WolfpackN64 said:

It's worth to have in your collection. How would you acquire one, if I may ask? Ebay?

A local game store has 3, but he asks 150€ for one. I'm going to try to knock that price down to 60-70€. If not, i'll look on Ebay or Amazon

ExplodingBlock said:
MikeRox said:

Yes but not globally in JP

I just wanted to get the VGC meme in :(

I'm actually seriously hyped by this thread, Dreamcast really was my favourite system, I actually had every game for it that came out in Europe, including Taxi 2: Le Jeu which only released in France and... was absolute garbage :(