By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's road to getting (a proper) Monster Hunter back to its console(s)

Mr Khan said:
The franchise has built a solid base for itself on Wii U already. I went online last Sunday (afternoon, even!) to try and meet up with NoName, and the main server was still packed with people (995/1000), so that's nonpeak hours almost a year and a half after the US launch.

Not to say automatically that moving to PS4 wouldn't be a bad move, but the Wii U version clearly has staying power with Western fans, so it would have to be a really grand effort on Capcom's part (which is my way of saying that i don't think MH can get much bigger in the West than it is) to really make the move worth it, and Capcom's avoided moving up to PS360 level graphics for the series so far...

The Wii U version of the game benefited from its launch title(launch window)/bundled status both in Japan and the West.  Im sure if replicated for the PS4 with the same time frame and regions, sales of the game would exceed the Wii U's numbers in the west (considering the PS4's "lack of games") and would be on par in Japan.

This is not about that though, it is more about how Sony, with its current home console (the console with the greatest ability to land the game) can get the game given the data and sales we have now and going forward.

Around the Network

Haven't see anyone saying they are entitled to the game, just that it would help Sony in Japan and Capcom in the West. But yes for any particular person wanting to play MH they could just buy the Ninty plat.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mean while Capcom goes bankrupt while PlayStation is still chugging along doing just fine. I wonder who needs who.......

Don't think that would happen ever, their assests (the company itself) would be bought before they went under.  Capcom assets are greated than that of a THQ.

Mr Khan said:
The franchise has built a solid base for itself on Wii U already. I went online last Sunday (afternoon, even!) to try and meet up with NoName, and the main server was still packed with people (995/1000), so that's nonpeak hours almost a year and a half after the US launch.

Not to say automatically that moving to PS4 wouldn't be a bad move, but the Wii U version clearly has staying power with Western fans, so it would have to be a really grand effort on Capcom's part (which is my way of saying that i don't think MH can get much bigger in the West than it is) to really make the move worth it, and Capcom's avoided moving up to PS360 level graphics for the series so far...

If Capcom did want to go full-scale new gen with the graffics, I think they actually could find more success with Monster Hunter in western markets.  Not that they will, I just think they could.

Really, though, this is Capcom.  They make the strangest decisions.  The next Monster Hunter could be on the XO for all we know.  Would not surprise me one bit.  They do things for the short-term.

Personally I think Nintendo would be damned before they lose Monster Hunter, but it could happen.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Around the Network

Aim a little lower, Sony should approach Level 5 to get Youkai Watch to PS4.

Train wreck said:
Mr Khan said:

The Wii U version of the game benefited from its launch title(launch window)/bundled status both in Japan and the West.  Im sure if replicated for the PS4 with the same time frame and regions, sales of the game would exceed the Wii U's numbers in the west (considering the PS4's "lack of games") and would be on par in Japan.

This is not about that though, it is more about how Sony, with its current home console (the console with the greatest ability to land the game) can get the game given the data and sales we have now and going forward.

The answer to the question is simple: Sony has to pony up the dough. Without incentives, i don't think Capcom's going to take the HD plunge for the franchise, or at least go totally all out with it. It's clear they've been avoiding that, and i think Capcom execs saw the Wii's success last gen with relief that they didn't have to completely redo all of the monster and weapon models for high-def, and now they're gun-shy about putting that much money down for the risky proposition of trying to make the franchise more successful than it is in the West (i agree that PS4 is the best bet, but what i'm saying is Capcom would have to make a PS4 version WORTH IT for players, and i really don't think they're willing)

My other point was merely that not only did the sales benefit from being early in the Wii U's life (which i'll agree with), but that folks are still playing, so they've built a base of dedicated MH fans in one direction in the West, which again, means that they would have to really sweeten the pot to build out in a whole new direction.

So it comes back to Sony to give them incentive.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Sony needs get the Japanese audience to purchase PS4's. While its worldwide appeal is very strong, its Japanese presence is currently lacking. As much as several people would like a PS4 Monster Hunter, Capcom won't do it unless it's too good of an opportunity to pass up, meaning the PS4 needs to sell much faster in Japan than it is now.

I don't see how the PS4 is the most likely to get the next major game. I also expected actual signs of MH going over to Sony but it was more a tangential Dragon Quest theory. Eh.

When 90% of the copies you sell are from Japan, it makes little sense to release it on a console that wont give them even a million copies... Handhelds and an exclusive mobile game is the future for Mh5.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064