By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's road to getting (a proper) Monster Hunter back to its console(s)

Sony gets plenty of third party support. What's wrong with Nintendo getting even 2-3 franchises? Seriously Sony fans need to stop acting like spoiled children.

If the logic is that Sony "deserves" the games because of marketshare, well then Nintendo trounces Sony for handheld marketshare and Monster Hunter is basically a handheld franchise ... so Nintendo "deserves" to have Monster Hunter. If Sony wants it they can try not having anemic handheld marketshare for one. 

IMO in the long term Nintendo will take back Dragon Quest too with their Fusion platform which will dominate Japan much moreso than the PS4 (pathetic start in Japan) will. Japan already voted with their wallets -- they don't care for home consoles alone anymore, and in the next 2 years you will start to see portable devices with horsepower to match a PS3/360/Wii U ... when that happens, it over for Japan's console industry. 

Around the Network

Monster Hunter 3 did very good in the west, and MH4 will do even better I bet!

Not leaving Nintendo anytime soon.

But seriously, I doubt Sony has the money to buy Capcom anyway....

Monster Hunter will go back to Sony when it becomes multi-platform.

Nintendo can keep Monster Hunter, I'm glad Playstation is getting RE Revelations 2 instead.

BOLLOCKS said:
Nintendo can keep Monster Hunter, I'm glad Playstation is getting RE Revelations 2 instead.

/burn lol
OT: I have a feeling MH5 will be on PS4 as well.

Around the Network

Just get a Nintendo system and play the games you want to play instead of moan about it not being on PS4.

After all you guys tell Nintendo fans to buy additional systems to play the games they want from other systems so I don't see why you should be entitled to everything.

The TGS rumor from 2012 said Nintendo moneyhatted Capcom to keep MH exclusive for three years. IIRC that ends after 2015. If Sony wants to get MH then they will need to do something after that time.

Cobretti2 said:
Just get a Nintendo system and play the games you want to play instead of moan about it not being on PS4.

After all you guys tell Nintendo fans to buy additional systems to play the games they want from other systems so I don't see why you should be entitled to everything.

Nintendo is for teh kiddiez!! Haven't you heard? 

Train wreck said:

We are coming up on some anniversities. 

Next month will mark the seven year anniversity of Capcom announcing the switch from PS3 to Wii for Monster Hunter Tri and this week marks the 3 year anniversity of Nintendo's deal to offer Monster Hunter Tri and 4 (and 4G) exclusive to its handheld.  Both events were considered big blows to Sony in Japan where the game was a staple on the PS2 and PSP.  You only have to do a search here at vgchartz to get some interesting prespectives on how the two events unfolded.

Fast forward to today and it seems that, at least in the past seven years, Sony is in a somewhat good position to get Monster Hunter back to at least one of its consoles (Home).  Recently Sony announced a new Dragon Quest musou game that, while not a main line DQ game, does represent a return of the series after close to a 10 year absense.  Whatever Sony did to get that game greenl ighted they need to do with Monster Hunter.  It doesn't have to be main line game but a game to transition the fans back to Playstation.

While the Japanese market has been extremely soft for consoles sales this generation, western sales have been on fire and this is where Sony can leverage their ability to get a game.

Sony's road to get the game back will be without its difficulties and preconceptions, What other ideas can Sony throw to get the franchise back?

Mean while Capcom goes bankrupt while PlayStation is still chugging along doing just fine. I wonder who needs who.......

The franchise has built a solid base for itself on Wii U already. I went online last Sunday (afternoon, even!) to try and meet up with NoName, and the main server was still packed with people (995/1000), so that's nonpeak hours almost a year and a half after the US launch.

Not to say automatically that moving to PS4 wouldn't be a bad move, but the Wii U version clearly has staying power with Western fans, so it would have to be a really grand effort on Capcom's part (which is my way of saying that i don't think MH can get much bigger in the West than it is) to really make the move worth it, and Capcom's avoided moving up to PS360 level graphics for the series so far...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.