By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do The People That Bought A Xbox One Feel Ripped Off After All The Price-Cuts, Fire Sales, And Exclusive Content/Games For The PS4?

greenmedic88 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
greenmedic88 said:
If a consumer can resist the buying frenzy tied to the release of a new product, particularly one where the value should be directly tied to the software it runs that is immediately available, and instead wait until enough software is available to make the value of that hardware equal to what they're paying for it in their mind/opinion, they shouldn't find themselves upset if the actual price is, as it always will be, reduced in the future.

It is just a bit of a kick in the pants to see that happen earlier than expected.

I disagree with that notion, because its fairly outdated. From the 5th gen, onwards consoles were selling off their own merits, their software being a major part of the merits of a console but not the only one. 

Fast Forward to this gen and the XB1 and PS4 are selling off of their future libraries and the differences they offered in their systems. Hell even the Wii, sold more for its motion controls then whether or not it had the most popular software.

You disagree because that's how you as a consumer buy, but if everyone thought the same way, how many consoles would SCE or MS or Nintendo sell based upon what games will be available for it in five years? All of them?

Most consumers, the general consumers, will wait until the games they want are available on the platform they were planning on buying. I'm in the small minority among people I know who play video games who bought a PS4 right out of the gate. Most of them say the same thing "I'm just going to wait until XXX is released."

The consumers that would follow gaming news so closesly as to know to wait until XXX releases, might describe general gaming consumers but not general consumers/the mainstream. 

As for the Wii being sold because of Wii Sports, none of its later iterations even come close to the original. There's no way to prove if its the case. 

So at its best, your reasoning is as good as mine.

However, since I recognize value perception is completely subjective, I call it a part and not the whole because there is no way to know the general consensus of who prefers what in these kinds of purchases. Sure you can speculate, but if the companies in charge shared your sentiments the consoles we have today would merely be n64's with higher fidelity.

Something like Freinds or Xbox live doesn't qualify as software that's readily avaliable, but they are undoubtedly reasons many people buy consoles.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
Josiah said:
I do.

Microsoft should have done an Ambassador program.

Didn't they do a free game voucher or something? I seem to remember MS doing some sort of thanks program that had a pretty short time window and wasn't heavily promoted, since it boiled down to giving something free to existing customers.

They did with the Xbox, but not the Xbox One.

I remember Microsoft saying something like the Kinect can't be removed or it was an integral part of Xbox One. How would people know they were going to remove it after a few months?

I think OP actually has a legitimate point. I mean come on, anyone who backed the XB1 from the very inception must have felt betrayed at some point. The DRM reversals, the kinect reversal, the price-meandering.

Why can't we have this discussion? People who backed the XB1 at 500 dollars backed the wrong horse. No sign of a PS4 price cut any time soon, XB1 at holidays though....that's a different story.

I'm so glad I switched this gen.

That's always a risk when buying a new product at launch, look at the games themselves. An informed consumer should know these things.

Around the Network
Playstation_prophet said:
I remember Microsoft saying something like the Kinect can't be removed or it was an integral part of Xbox One. How would people know they were going to remove it after a few months?
reggin_bolas said:
I think OP actually has a legitimate point. I mean come on, anyone who backed the XB1 from the very inception must have felt betrayed at some point. The DRM reversals, the kinect reversal, the price-meandering.

Why can't we have this discussion? People who backed the XB1 at 500 dollars backed the wrong horse. No sign of a PS4 price cut any time soon, XB1 at holidays though....that's a different story.

We've been over this for a couple of months now.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

What price cuts, lol? Is this a joke or are you trolling? The price-cuts were all unannounced in the US and have been hidden by bundles and according to Microsoft "retailer promotions". The bundles they announced for the holidays are all price-cuts, Titanfall bundle, Xbox One 449.99 retail deal, free game promotion etc.

These are a few of the price-cuts. They were unannounced because it saves Microsoft the embarrassment.

Also, If you have an agenda, please stay out of my topic. Thanks

And yet you continue to post.

The people I 'm talking about are the ones that bought Xbox One at launch with Kinect for $500.00.  It seems like like new unannounced price-cut is offered each week. What is going on? Now Microsoft is offering free games with the system? When do they say enough is enough? It also seems like every week some dev is skipping Xbox One for PS4. Do you think it  matters what Microsoft does anymore? They could announce a $199.99 bundle and PS4 would still outsell it, IMO.

I don't know what the future holds for Xbox One but I know I'm glad I upgraded to PS4 from 360/PS3 and have held off on buying a Xbox One. At this point, I'm not sure if the Xbox One warrants a purchase at all. How do others feel about this? Please specify if you bought at launch.

you've lost all validity when you said " They could announce a $199.99 bundle and PS4 would still outsell it, IMO"... you're saying a $199.99 Xbox one console couldn't outsell a $399.99 PS4... wow must be fun living in a Sony fantasy world.

I bought the TitanFall bundle. I think the Kinect is amazing and add something new to console experience. No regrets whats so ever. 

Early adopter on the other hand got to enjoy the Xbox one over the xmas holidays ... I would say they got their money worth. Which Dev is skipping the Xbox one.... Insomniac who's developping the Xbox exclusive Sunset Overdrive or Crystal dynamix Rise of the tomb raider...

Destiny and Diablo 3 are games that offer over 100 hours of gameplay, adding small exclusive content is simply a perk to PS4 not a reason to skip on the Xbox one version.

I don't need to compare PS4 exclusive to my Xbox one, to put it simply it doesn't matter what's on the PS4 because of the amount of content on Xbox One that is offered to me. I 've never played Last of us and Infamous, the game do look amazing but there is exclusive content on both console. I can tell you that Forza 5, TitanFall & Dead rising 3 are amazing game and you should check them out if you ever get the chance.

Bought Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Just dance 2014, Ryse: son of rome, Titanfall (bundle) & diablo 3. Games for gold turned out to be a great added bonus and really enjoyed MAx: Curse of the brotherhood, Spartan Assault and Guaccamelee.  EA access is an amazing service IMO .... got me access to NFL 15 and NHL 15. On top of that got to try out Battlefield 4 (played over 70 hours) and Peggle 2(played over 20 hours between my girlfriend and I). As an extra bonus they just release NFS: Rivals this week(downloaded and put it in my backlog if I get to it).

There a backlog of games that I would love to get COD: ghost, Assassin's creed IV, Tomb Raider: definitive edition; watch dogs; Plant vs Zombies & Kinect sports rivals. Let's face it the offering on PS4 is almost 75% identical to the Xbox one. Sure you got last of us and a bunch of indie games, yet somehow I'm still going to play my Xbox one tomorrow and have too much to do with not enough time to play. You're thinking we've over paid compare to PS4 but we do have the Kinect that more than make up for the difference. Kinect enable skype, twitch and games like Just dance 2014 and Xbox Fitness. Browsing the around the xbox interface is actually much faster and better using the Kinect. I wouldn't go as far to say as the Kinect adds value but it is justified. 

Xbox one and PS4 are investment for the next 5 years at least. Of all people you should know that.

reggin_bolas said:

What makes you guys think that PS4 is the only viable choice for gamers exactly? Say one person likes games and services provided by MS does that person is better with another provider? MS tried a few things last year and they realised people didn't want those things so they adapted their business to their customers needs. How is that betting on the wrong horse exactly?

I'm not emotionaly attached to these companies so I don't feel betrayed, or loved or anything they're not my friends or potential girlfriend or anything. They want my money, well if they have something I want they'll get that money, it's as simple as that. 

If you don't see value in what they have to offer then why do you need to be convinced they are good? If you see value to what you bought, why would you feel "betrayed"? Emotions towards plastic and corporations... really? We should make a soap out of this.

reggin_bolas said:

The xbox one hasn't technically receive a price cut as of today. They've simply added value by providing a game with the console.

Xbox + Kinect since lauch has always sold for $499.99. Since you switch this gen, you haven't really got to experience the new Microsoft console. Ask any one that own both console they will not simply disregard the Xbox One both console are great new technologies and have lots to offer the gamers. Kinect as a game controller is not the ground breaking tech. But the voice control and having a camera is something that will be very useful and welcome in the future of this console. The face recognition and automatic login is already something that it does seamlessly.

While the Xbox one is not out selling the PS4, it did have an amazing releasing and is out pacing the Xbox 360. Why must you bash on the XB1, it's not like you want to justify your PS4. I'm glad that microsoft is trying to spark more interest with bundle and exclusive to bring more gamers to discover their amazing hardware. Enjoy your PS4, because I'm certainly going to be doing the same with my Xbox One.