By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DQ Producer: Dragon Quest XI will see some sort of western release

NintendoPie said:
Aerys said:

Well, if they want to export DQ, PS4 is the most popular console.

And the talk about playstation is not here for nothing.

DQ will never sell a lot in the West. I would hope Square Enix is not stupid enough to choose a host console for DQXI based of those few 100k of sales compared to the millions in Japan.

That's what you hope yes, but you dont know how much it could sell with a decent marketing. even Ninokuni sold very well in the west.

They already have been "stupid enough " to make DQ Heroes on PS4 and not on 3DS, because they know the fanbase move quickly, they'll buy the platform with the next Dragon Quest so at the end, it's better for them, allowing them to use that opportunity to expand the fanbase to the west

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
I wonder why people are so quick to assume that it's coming to PS4. The PS4 isn't doing well in Japan and that's where the bulk of DQ sales are.

Because, since the next one will be on big screen, PS4(/PS3) is the best choice for SE

Aerys said:
Darc Requiem said:
I wonder why people are so quick to assume that it's coming to PS4. The PS4 isn't doing well in Japan and that's where the bulk of DQ sales are.

Because, since the next one will be on big screen, PS4(/PS3) is the best choice for SE

Wii U is best option right now in Japan. 

Click HERE and be happy 

EricFabian said:
Aerys said:
Darc Requiem said:

Wii U is best option right now in Japan. 

A difference of only 1M is not enough to make a real difference in sales, especially when the PS4 is supported by third party in Japan, they consider the futur of Dragon Quest, they know it's a more popular console, even in Japan, surveys put PS4 as the most wanted home console to make a DQ, and like i said, fans will go where is the game anyway, and since they want to expand DQ name, PS4 is the best choice

Aerys said:

That's what you hope yes, but you dont know how much it could sell with a decent marketing. even Ninokuni sold very well in the west.

They already have been "stupid enough " to make DQ Heroes on PS4 and not on 3DS, because they know the fanbase move quickly, they'll buy the platform with the next Dragon Quest so at the end, it's better for them, allowing them to use that opportunity to expand the fanbase to the west

All I'm seeing here is you "hoping" that what Horii said is fact. And also hoping that what the guy quoted in the OP says is just throw-away blabber. (By the way, DQX got good marketing. It did okay in the West, but it still didn't reach anywhere near a million.)

But it's true, I'm incapable of predicting SE's next stupid decision. Right now we'll just have to keep following their crumbs until they actually decide to give us useful information.

Around the Network

Wait for TGS then, maybe this is the good one.

Just some speculation on my part.

Yuji Horii says the game is in development for the big screen not mobile/handheld.

SE releases DQ Heroes on PS3/PS4, thus at least to a degree signaling to DQ fans "this is where DQ is going", remember the Wii got some spin off DQ games as well before eventually getting DQ X.

I recently read that SE thinks that FFXV is crucial to the success of home consoles in Japan and that if it fails there might not be much of a home console future over there. Read here. This sounds like a certain disregard of the Wii U already.

I cannot think of a single SE game in development right now that is coming to Wii U. Now granted the Wii didn't get a ton of SE games either, but it got a couple at least. The Wii U only has the DQ X port for now, if I'm not mistaken.

So while non of this is proof of course, I still think that we can book DQ XI on PS4, possibly even exclusively, as a very real possibility for now.

carlos710 said:
Looks to me like it's going to the 3DS, the only platform that actually sells in Japan. Also, I think is very possible that SE pressed Nintendo to put more power into their new 3ds because this game was going to need it.

Makes the most sense. By far the best selling platform in japan + the cheapest development costs + most likely the largest amount of DQ fans = win win win for SE.

Development cost differences are largely unimportant for a game of this scale. It's going to cost millions and millions regardless because it'll have a huge team and a huge marketing campaign behind it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

For the people who think Wii U is a better choice because of a 1 million difference in user base are not looking long term. SE have already commited FFXV and KH3 to PS4 to increase install base. They will likely captilize on this and extend it further with DQXI. DQ Heroes can't hurt either. What you're seeing is a long term plan here. It really just feels like some people here just want to shut their eyes, shake their head and say no it won't happen because they don't want it to happen..

CGI-Quality said:

Introducing this DQ title on PS4 tells me that the franchise may have a place on the machine. The WiiU is currently the better seller in Japan (which doesn't take rocket science to figure out why), but with 2015 already jammed packed with content for the PS4, it makes sense to assume the next full DQ title will also be on it.

I believe people are taking the big screen comment to be final, but there is a lot more to it. Yes, it may come to PS4, PS3, wiiu, Xboxone, PC and others... But is SE really going to pass on releasing DQXI on the 3DS? 

If Yokai watch can sell more than 3 million copies in a year, should DQXI not sell the same or better? DQIX is the best selling DQ ever, skipping 3 millions in Japan only is crazy business.

Even if they were to release DQXI on all major consoles available, I do not believe it may even match the 3DS sells. I mean, DQXI could even sell 3 millions at full price on two or three weeks in Japan alone. That number is simply impossible to reach if they release it on big screen consoles only.

DQIX sold well in the west only because Nintendo heavy advertisement.

A late port is possible, but business talking, skiping the 3DS is just crazy and money wasted. 

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064