By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Please suggest games with popular competitive scenes.

Unreal Tournanent and Gears of War. Don't forget Mario Kart.

Around the Network

Madden (always the newest iteration)

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Twilord said:
Thanks for the insights so far. I hope for more. Any noteworthy RTS, TBS, or any other RPGs than Pokemon?

Company of heroes 2 and 1 even still

RenCutypoison said:

Soul Calibur, Touhou 6 or MushiHime Sama for the shmup part (popular ?!)

Edit : Also Battelfield

In general, Touhou has a relatively limited competitive scene, though, apart from the fighting games (7.5/IaMP;10.5/SWR and its update 12.3/Hitensoku;13.5/HM) Well, it is a niche game outside Japan.

Also, +1 for Mario Kart. If you've seen the world record attempt for the GBA Rainbow Road, or respect the fact that there's a Guiness World Record for having the fastest five-lap time trial time for Mario Circuit (can't remember which) on the SNES, it's got to have a competitive scene! And, you seem to be ignoring the tournaments where you can win real-life stuff (Nintendo Life tournaments come to mind)

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

counterstrike 1.6

Around the Network

Ultimate Marvel vs. CAPCOM 3

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Call of Duty is growing pretty nice. Ghosts even went to this year's Summer XGames and is rumored to go to the Winter XGames again, and for the past 2 titles we've had a world championship with teams from around the globe.

TheWPCTraveler said:
RenCutypoison said:

In general, Touhou has a relatively limited competitive scene, though, apart from the fighting games (7.5/IaMP;10.5/SWR and its update 12.3/Hitensoku;13.5/HM) Well, it is a niche game outside Japan.

Also, +1 for Mario Kart. If you've seen the world record attempt for the GBA Rainbow Road, or respect the fact that there's a Guiness World Record for having the fastest five-lap time trial time for Mario Circuit (can't remember which) on the SNES, it's got to have a competitive scene! And, you seem to be ignoring the tournaments where you can win real-life stuff (Nintendo Life tournaments come to mind)

Well, there is a strong competitive scene on shmups, and the most popular games may be these two. I just tought it deserves a mention.

I don't think mario kart, of all racing games, is the one that should receive attention. Competitive scene is popular because the game is popular on a non competitive level, while some racing simulation have a bigger recognition when it comes to competitive play.

How can you guys forget about Counter-Strike?! I saw one mention of it so far, but it pretty much started the mass esport craze and had some of the biggest tournaments(professional and amateur). So much so that both COD and Halo heavily ripped off of it with later multiplayer modes

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

RenCutypoison said:
TheWPCTraveler said:
RenCutypoison said:

Well, there is a strong competitive scene on shmups, and the most popular games may be these two. I just tought it deserves a mention.

I don't think mario kart, of all racing games, is the one that should receive attention. Competitive scene is popular because the game is popular on a non competitive level, while some racing simulation have a bigger recognition when it comes to competitive play.

Well, it is popular because of the reason you mentioned, but I find it impressive that it actually gets some recognition despite the fact that it isn't close to realistic at all.

It's far closer to SSB than a regular racing sim. Perhaps that's the reason.

Or, I think that way because I actually was in the scene at one point. Oh, Double Dash.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3