By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Please suggest games with popular competitive scenes.

Twilord said:
_crazy_man_ said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Starcraft 2

On that note.

WoW PvP and PvE

I did a Google search on WoW as an eSport and most of what I got was people asking why it isn't that big as one.

The OP asked for a highly competative community, not an eSport.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network

How about Project M, a mod for Brawl?

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Smite. It has an active pro-league and also ordinary ranked league for amateurs.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I would also like to say Gears of War 1-3 are good esports titles in the 3rd person shooter genre, scene is still there albeit a little smaller.

ExplodingBlock said:

TF2 isn't very competitive, I mean it WAS but then they added they conga so this is basically every pub nowadays

Pubs are Pubs.

TF2 Pub play has always been silly.  

On that note very few servers do this anymore, minus some conga's before and after matches.

Doesn't make it any less fun tho.

Around the Network

People are alot less gentle with that poor Uncharted guy than I was. Sony fans naturally have some problems with Big N and MS having such key exclusive titles in the competitive gaming scene when they don't seem to from my (limited) knowledge, so please go easy on him for wanting in.

I am gonna slow down on adding to the list so I can take my time to study the less 'oh right, I'm a dumbass for mot already having that' ones.

Ultrashroomz said:

I am trying to limit my number of fighters and shooters. While Smash is deeply original counting it series twice would be redundant. - Project M instead of Melee however is an interesting argument.

Twilord said:
People are alot less gentle with that poor Uncharted guy than I was. Sony fans naturally have some problems with Big N and MS having such key exclusive titles in the competitive gaming scene when they don't seem to from my (limited) knowledge, so please go easy on him for wanting in.

They shouldn't feel bad, look at Nintendo, their competitive games weren't even meant to be played that way but the community made it what it is. Same thing can happen to a Sony game in the future.

Twilord said:
Ultrashroomz said:

I am trying to limit my number of fighters and shooters. While Smash is deeply original counting it series twice would be redundant. - Project M instead of Melee however is an interesting argument.

In your OP:

"I wish to create a list of games, spanning as broad a collection of genres and alternative takes as possible."

I'd change your OP then.

iceland said:
Twilord said:

They shouldn't feel bad, look at Nintendo, their competitive games weren't even meant to be played that way but the community made it what it is. Same thing can happen to a Sony game in the future.

Entirely true for Smash, but didn't Pokemon kinda become competitive from a bit of a positive feed-back loop born from motivating kids to want to compete as trainers in the first place. Psychic type animes forced kids to slave away in Pokemon's service till they grew up to be legitimate Pokemon Masters. - Speaking of Nintendo games needing luck to be competitive, I hope Splatoon does well despite its extreme surrealism.

Regardless your basic point is massively correct.